MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

PTA likes Venom 2.  2021 continues to astound just like 2020.  

Why is this a surprise? PTA once said Men in Black 3 made him cry. 

I know cinephiles keep forgetting this, but alot of filmmakers (even their precious idols of quote "real" cinema) just enjoy movies like the rest of us peasants. Nolan is a Fast & Furious fan. Malick loved Zoolander, etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RRA said:

I know cinephiles keep forgetting this, but alot of filmmakers (even their precious idols of quote "real" cinema) just enjoy movies like the rest of us peasants. Nolan is a Fast & Furious fan. Malick loved Zoolander, etc. 

Yes, but Venom???? A lot of CBM fans did not like that one.

23 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but Venom???? A lot of CBM fans did not like that one.

Define "alot" because they might be vocal, and yet looking at receipts of that movie (and even its sequel)....PTA might be more in the majority opinion than said very vocal spandex fans. 

Just to let yall know this movie is officially on Disney Plus, at least in the US. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to see while it in theaters, and for the rest of you who also haven't seen this yet now's our chance!

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

Just to let yall know this movie is officially on Disney Plus, at least in the US. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to see while it in theaters, and for the rest of you who also haven't seen this yet now's our chance!

Hope you enjoy it!

On 11/11/2021 at 3:39 AM, RRA said:

Are you trying to imply something about Zoolander, one of the finest comedies of this era?

• Thanks 1

I liked MIB3 more than 1st movie. Climax I thought was fantastic and emotional(not that I cried). That said dont just take everything these directors say literally. They would have enjoyed these movies but I doubt it would be in their Top 10 list or something. They are diplomatic when they talk about other movies(mostly). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just gotta say that I love that marvel are finally releasing their movies in Imax format.

It was a long time coming and many were losing out hope after a decade of seeing IMAX-sequences never making it to the small screen.

Well the wait is over. Might have to binge watch a few MCU movies soon lmao

The ones that benefit the most are the last 2 avengers movies (100% IMAX A/R), Guardians of the Galaxy, Shang-Chi (100% IMAX A/R), and maybe like Captain Marvel or something

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some eagle eyed folks found this and maybe we finally know the reason this movie was banned in China:  

The numbers on his sleeve 8964 refers to the Tiananmen Square massacre which happened on June 4, 1989. In China dates are written as Year-Month-Date so this is clearly intentional. 

Edited by Lion Roar
  • Haha 3

Ok finally watched this, thought it was really really good but not great. The action is as great as everybody has been saying, good use of long takes and wider shots than the usual marvel action scenes which help it all flow better. I thought the way they used the ten rings was really creative and loved all the tricks that Wenwu and Shang Chi were pulling off, please Disney/Marvel start doing more creative things with the magic/superpowers/tech in the MCU and not the same old stuff we've seen before.

Tony Leung/Wenwu is also just a great as everybody has been saying, being one of the better marvel villains in recent years with a real emotional core to him. The complaints/nitpicks I have are nothing new; same old big CGI climax in addition a bunch of henchmen/warriors fighting each other over not so compelling plot stakes. The 2nd act started to drag in parts but there was enough there to keep me hooked.

This is certainly not in the same league as Black Panther but it's on it's own merits its pretty well made and I'll definitely be tuning in for the sequel to see where they take things from here

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

Tony Leung’s Salary Soars to All-Time High After “Shang-Chi”

Winning rave reviews for Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Tony Leung‘s (梁朝偉) career is at an all-time high. Paid US$7.7 million for the Hollywood blockbuster, Tony is said to earn an even higher salary of approximately US$9.2 million for upcoming Chinese movie No Name <無名>.

Before heading to China, Tony had just wrapped up filming Hong Kong movie Once Upon a Time in Hong Kong <金手指> with Andy Lau (劉德華) and Simon Yam (任達華).

Tony is confirmed to star in No Name, which is the third film in the “Victory Trilogy.”  The other two films were box office successes Chinese Doctors <中國醫生> and The Battle at Lake Changjin <長津湖>. Taking place from 1937 to 1945 in Shanghai, the espionage film is speculated to also star Zhou Xun (周迅) and Wang Yibo (王一博).

Tony’s pay check of 60 million Chinese yuan (US $9.2 million) for No Name is the third highest filming fee among Chinese actors. It is just slightly below Hu Ge’s (胡歌) salary of CNY 65 million in Li Na: My Life (獨自.上場) and Wu Jing’s (吳京) CNY 80 million compensation for The Battle at Lake Changjin. 

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/tony-leungs-salary-soars-to-all-time-high-after-shang-chi/

• Like 6