MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

8 hours ago, Dbui8743 said:

Young Jet Li was handsome.

Young Chow Yun Fat was like asian Clooney lol.

All the hong kong stars in their prime also were gorgeous.

Actually, if I had to compare Simu to anybody, it would be a young Jackie Chan. I don't think most would say Jackie was ever gorgeous but he wasn't ugly either and he had charm and personality, which is what made him as big of a star as he is.  

6 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Liu Simu is definitely well above average in Asia guys. I am sure people who criticize his is ugly is not even comprable to him.

I dont think we here disagree that he is good looking. 

Just saying that he might well not be above average for a lot of asian people.

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So have all these adorable tweets changed China's opinion yet?:thinking: he's trying really hard, tough not to root for him.

Or...he's just being himself? From what I've seen, he is acting no different than he did before he got the role. There's just a lot more people paying attention now. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes but has China response improved? What we think doesn't matter but what do they think now that they see more of him? 

This movie is gonna make a killing in China regardless of a few Weibo posts...

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2

Wow, what an absolute charmer! Dude could be the ugliest person on the planet and I'd still love him.

8 hours ago, TMP said:

I would think that a grand total of about zero people will say "I love going to all the Marvel movies, but this guy isn't good-looking enough for me to look at, so I can't watch this one".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TMP said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Tony Leung (Mandarin) is in this movie and (unlike the Mulan actress), he has supported the Hong Kong protests. He's already been blacklisted and I could see the movie not even releasing in China because of it, especially because of how the protests have started to escalate and how China is starting to become more and more strict with censorship.

• Astonished 2

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Tony Leung (Mandarin) is in this movie and (unlike the Mulan actress), he has supported the Hong Kong protests. He's already been blacklisted and I could see the movie not even releasing in China because of it, especially because of how the protests have started to escalate and how China is starting to become more and more strict with censorship.

Smh, what’s the point of supporting evil conglomerates in the first place if they can’t even force the actors they’ve hired to be properly supportive of human rights abuses :sadno:

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

IIRC, you confused Tony Leung Ka-fai (pro-China) with Tony Leung Chiu-wai (rumored Mandarin actor)

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/hong-kong-china-protests-jackie-chan-denise-ho-tony-leung-ka-fai-1203302040/

Actor Tony Leung Ka-fai and Cantopop stars Allan Tam and Kenny Bee, who were also former bandmates in the popular 1970s band The Wynners, took part in a pro-police rally on June 30. Bee took to the stage to criticize the young protesters, calling them “ridiculous,” and Leung posed with a sign reading, “Support the Police.”

Edited by Heroicpiglet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Heroicpiglet said:

IIRC, you confused Tony Leung Ka-fai (pro-China) with Tony Leung Chiu-wai (rumored Mandarin actor)

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/hong-kong-china-protests-jackie-chan-denise-ho-tony-leung-ka-fai-1203302040/

No, I'm talking about Chiu-Wai. I didn't say Tony Leung is pro-China, I said he is pro-democracy. Chiu Wai was blacklisted for being pro-democracy and supporting the Hong Kong protesters (he wouldn't be blacklisted if he was pro-China).

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-celebrities-hong-kong-protest-20141022-story.html

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No, I'm talking about Chiu-Wai. I didn't say Tony Leung is pro-China, I said he is pro-democracy. Chiu Wai was blacklisted for being pro-democracy and supporting the Hong Kong protesters (he wouldn't be blacklisted if he was pro-China).

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-celebrities-hong-kong-protest-20141022-story.html

They'll just hide Leung from the Chinese marketing then, easy as. China loves Marvel, they ain't gonna ban this.

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

They'll just hide Leung from the Chinese marketing then, easy as. China loves Marvel, they ain't gonna ban this.

Eh, I don't think that matters. WOM is more important in China than marketing. If Leung is in it, I can see WOM becoming bad. And I don't think the CCP cares what China loves. If what you said was true that patriotic war film (the 800?) that got banned would have released.

I think the movie will release but will miss the lucrative CNY spot Disney is clearly aiming for.

Edited by lorddemaxus