MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Just reading the comments on Weibo... LOL...very funny comments..

So far pretty mixed... 

I mean netizens may not represent general audience.. Hope a better trailer gets released soon.

By the way, it seems they dubbed Tony Leung.

I may be wrong here, but I suppose the core MCU audience is the younger population aware with western culture and not much into the stereotypical portrayals like Chinese person will be martial artisit and stuff.

Just spit balling here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Tepid reactions?

Lol if this don´t work out maybe Hollywood should just give up trying to please Asia with Asian characters.

Eh; I think the difference between a Chinese actor vs an Asian American actor is very different in their eyes. Simu Lui is considered foreigner to them...and does not represent them.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 4

Looks great, although it definitely feels more like a teaser since we don’t really get much of a feel for what the story is. Guessing the next trailer will elaborate more and accompany Black Widow.

Simu Liu is great too, he was fantastic in Kim’s Convenience which is genuinely one of the best sitcoms of the last decade, so I can’t wait to see what he does here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Ya i agree.. not sure why.. this didnt do it for me like how it hyped so many other people up here in the forum.

I mean I am hopefully next trailer will be better?

Maybe that is because of we both Asian? the novelty of Asian cast just isn't as bombastic as I feel. Of course its Asian theme would catch my attention more easily but doesn't mean there must be a wow factor here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Tepid reactions?

Lol if this don´t work out maybe Hollywood should just give up trying to please Asia with Asian characters.

You mean China with Chinese characters.

If Marvel does a big superhero film for India with Indian characters, it will be accepted wholeheartedly and do record breaking numbers. Might end up being highest grossing hollywood film of all time in India.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Eh; I think the difference between a Chinese actor vs an Asian American actor is very different in their eyes. Simu Lui is considered foreigner to them...and does not represent them.

I found this very sad to be honest

But i think it won´t matter that much, if the film is good and didn´t have anything offensive is probably getting good numbers at the box office, since i also think their public is younger.

Maybe online the older people with more patriotic views have more impact and that´s why pretty much every Hollywood movie with Chinese characters or influences face mixed reactions online.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

If Marvel does a big superhero film for India with Indian characters, it will be accepted wholeheartedly and do record breaking numbers. Might end up being highest grossing hollywood film of all time in India.

Maybe it is time to do Baahubali  MCU crossover

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Yes, i was talking about China since it´s Hollywood goal to appeal there.

Just now, Borobudur said:

Maybe that is because of we both Asian? the novelty of Asian cast just isn't as bombastic as I feel. Of course its Asian theme would catch my attention more easily but doesn't mean there must be a wow factor here.

Ya exactly this. I find it slightly amusing that so many people here are already assuming that Asians (Which means us) will eat it up.

the trailer looks very very meh to me..genuinely... I do hope the next trailer can be better.

Simu Lui is quite unknown here in South East Asia, and Tony Leung is not really a draw - he is known but his movies don’t fill up cinemas.. unlike Jackie Chan / Andy Lau / Donnie Yen or even.. Louis Koo.

Let’s see how much the marvel brand helps.. 

• Like 2

If Marvel does a big superhero film for India with Indian characters, it will be accepted wholeheartedly and do record breaking numbers. Might end up being highest grossing Hollywood film of all time in India.

LOL No. I mean yeah Irfan being in TASM 1 was big news but it didn't help much. Also the target is just way too big for Highest grosser for Hollywood. Biggest MCU solo film is 1/4th of Endgame.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I found this very sad to be honest

But i think it won´t matter that much, if the film is good and didn´t have anything offensive is probably getting good numbers at the box office, since i also think their public is younger.

Maybe online the older people with more patriotic views have more impact and that´s why pretty much every Hollywood movie with Chinese characters or influences face mixed reactions online.

Ya I think any mixed reactions now won’t matter if the film is of good quality. Likewise if the film is bad, no matter how well-received the trailer is.. the legs will suck. That’s China market for you.

Opening weekend now no longer means everything.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Bill Pope shot this? Why does it look so grey? 

Yeah, literally the first thought I had. Although I assume working in this franchise had something to do with it, Bill Pope really seems to have been slacking off for the past couple years (Baby Driver looked pretty good, but everything else I've seen from him recently has ranged from mediocre to awful).

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I suppose its the younger people who will want something new and not just martial art stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just watched the trailer with sound and yeah it seems like it. Really weird that he dubbed him considering he's really good at english and in fact a really eloquent speaker.

Yeah and this is putting me off.. seriously. 
maybe lots of people are not noticing this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Bill Pope shot this? Why does it look so grey? 

I think the color work is probably far from done, if i remember right this is in the middle of it´s post production despite being 4 months from being released. It finish shooting way after Eternals but they still decided to release this earlier because they want Eternals in the award season.

If you look the first BW teaser and the final trailer they release these days, the teaser also looked way more grey.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

LOL No. I mean yeah Irfan being in TASM 1 was big news but it didn't help much. Also the target is just way too big for Highest grosser for Hollywood. Biggest MCU solo film is 1/4th of Endgame.

Irfan wasn't playing a superhero. Just some random scientist. Biggest MCU solo film didn't had an Indian lead that appealed to Indians. Give a big scale MCU film with an Indian lead that appeals to Indians. Watch the magic unfold.

Stats and all are no use when it comes to these things. Sometimes faith and movie gods can create mindblowing results.