MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hollywood should stop bothering trying to pander to China. The boost in the world wide total isn’t worth the 25% and the risk of a strange, easily offended reaction. 

Honestly, I don’t even think this film is “pandering” to China, it stars a Chinese Canadian and appears to be set mostly in San Francisco, if anything it’s aimed at American audiences. I’m sure they hope it does well in Asian markets, but let’s be honest, Marvel movies don’t need to “pander” to anyone at this stage, they do well worldwide based on the brand name alone. And anyway, I don’t see anything particularly pandering about an Asian superhero based on comics from the 70’s getting his own film, it’s not like Marvel just cobbled Shang Chi together last year to try and capitalise on the Chinese market (I know you’re not suggesting that).

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

thought a kung fu flick wouldn't have mass appeal.

Kevin Feige gonna Feige.

Kung fu movies (martial arts movies in general) have been popular before Feige was even working in the movie industry.

But forget Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, John Woo, Sammo Hung, Ang Lee, etc. It's Kevin Feige made the first martial arts movie with mass appeal.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5

It feels like Bill Pope is being brought down by the MCU's chosen style a little bit. Especially in the lighting/grading. Maybe it's more that he works best with big/brash directors who have a strong visual style like Raimi/Wright/Rodriguez/Wachowskis. 

But that being said the hand-to-hand action looks well shot as I'd hope from him, definitely looks like it should be the best for the MCU so far. Not too keen on the slo-mo though. That Crouching Tiger-esque sequence looks like it could be great. 

Not enough of a sense of what Shang-Chi is like as a character from this trailer, very stoic throughout. 

Re: Kung Fu. Yeah plus Asian wave is bigger than ever. Music, dramas, Oscars, etc.

@FilmFincher tbh Thor in the first Thor teaser/trailer didn't seem like much either. Stoic and big whatever. But he turned out great, very entertaining with a strong character arc, etc. If anything, Marvel nails their heroes. They are 50-50 with villains but heroes always deliver.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kung fu movies (martial arts movies in general) have been popular before Feige was even working in the movie industry.

But forget Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, John Woo, Sammo Hung, Ang Lee, etc. It's Kevin Feige made the first martial arts movie with mass appeal.

No offense but kung fu movies rarely cross 125 m domestic.

And even fewer cross that mark without any star power like Chris Tucker.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Honestly, I don’t even think this film is “pandering” to China, it stars a Chinese Canadian and appears to be set mostly in San Francisco, if anything it’s aimed at American audiences. I’m sure they hope it does well in Asian markets, but let’s be honest, Marvel movies don’t need to “pander” to anyone at this stage, they do well worldwide based on the brand name alone. And anyway, I don’t see anything particularly pandering about an Asian superhero based on comics from the 70’s getting his own film, it’s not like Marvel just cobbled Shang Chi together last year to try and capitalise on the Chinese market (I know you’re not suggesting that).

Yeah this is deliberately not pandering. Or at least, like CRA, “pandering” more toward Asian Americans than actual Chinese audiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No offense but kung fu movies rarely cross 125 m domestic.

And even fewer cross that mark without any star power like Chris Tucker.

Just because they weren't high boxoffice earners doesn't mean they aren't popular. Half the reason this movie was probably even made is because of the popularity of the genre. But if you really think Kevin Feige is the first one to make a popular one by attaching the MCU brand to a pseudo-martial arts movie, go ahead I guess. You'd just be wrong.

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Remember when Hollwood was dead set on making Taylor Kitsch the next big thing?

Gad and Favreau were large successes within Disney, are you seriously comparing them to someone who people will literally never recognize as anyone but Tim riggins 

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Most of what you’re naming is specifically NOT wide appeal. Lee is mostly popular in pop culture as a mythical face of king of king fu and not as a movie star in the western world. Jackie Chan is the only exception and the rush hour films are mostly American action comedy that includes king fu. CTHD was basically a one off exception. 

not saying that it’s king fu that’s gonna make this movie huge either. This will be successful for the same reason Rush Hour was, definitely not because of the king fu element. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Awkwafina is going to be Disney’s next studio darling, alongside people like Josh Gad and Jon Favreau, isn’t she? 

Hey, unlike this two Awkwafina has talent.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Even though it’s not a right comparison as apart from the Director, there’s not much Asian rep for this franchise but Kung Fu Panda is a huge franchise as well. But hey stans gonna stan, what more can you do.

Also let’s not forget about the success kung fu and wuxia stories have done overseas.

22 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Most of what you’re naming is specifically NOT wide appeal. Lee is mostly popular in pop culture as a mythical face of king FH and not as a movie star in the western world. Jackie Chan is the only exception and the rush hour films are mostly American action comedy that includes king fu. CTHD was basically a one off exception. 

not saying that it’s king fu that’s gonna make this movie huge either. This will be successful for the same reason Rush Hour was, definitely not because of the king fu element. 

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but in terms of the actual martial arts that Jackie Chan and Jet Li and others employed...kung fu isn't a real martial art. It's a form made-up for the movies and derived from myth, but in terms of stunt work and choreography they're utilizing other martial arts. 

• Like 1