MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

No offense but kung fu movies rarely cross 125 m domestic.

And even fewer cross that mark without any star power like Chris Tucker.

Marat Stary

You can...upload data into your brain? | Geek and Sundry

;)

Agreed that they rarely cross that mark. This was Western exposure on a large scale. And 171M/466M dom/ww in 1999 for an R rated movie was nothing to sneeze about. So while lets say proper kung fu movies never reached these heights, as others pointed out, kung fu + Marvel = 💰

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Pretty solid teaser with Marvel selling this movie mostly on the martial arts aspect of the movie. Though the clip Simu Liu posted awhile back showcasing his fighting got me more intrigued.

BO wise I don't expect any significant boost in Asia just because of an Asian lead as if Asia is one big monolith. I do expect a decent boost in Western countries though ala Crazy Rich Asians. Hard for me to gauge how this will do without seeing Black Widow but atm probably $700M-$800M

28 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but in terms of the actual martial arts that Jackie Chan and Jet Li and others employed...kung fu isn't a real martial art. It's a form made-up for the movies and derived from myth, but in terms of stunt work and choreography they're utilizing other martial arts. 

No I didn’t know this but it is functionally irrelevant. 

Whoever cut that teaser together did the film no favours. The 5 seconds from 1:15-1:20 looked dope but will need to see a longer sequence before I can be 100% it is legit. 

Still I'm all in with the cast of Tony Leung, Awkwafina and Simu Liu (watch Happy Together/Infernal Affairs, The Farewell and Kim's Convenience everyone)

Marvel is a very famous brand in China, if Shang Chi is good then the Chinese audience will be there.

Besides, unlike Mulan that's a story they don't know so it'll help.

Beyond that it'd be cool if they use this background and some characters for a Disney+ show, something that would do well in Asia.

Edited by Fullbuster

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Only if he doesn't get dubbed.

Let me say it again:

TONY LEUNG HAD BETTER NOT BE DUBBED FOR AMERICA, FEIGE!!! 

If there's a "problem" with English... subtitle him.  It remains [reasonably] authentic.  

Tony Leung (like most HK actors) has been dubbed for decades into Mandarin for China/TW so I don't really have a problem with him being dubbed into English. 

11 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Tony Leung (like most HK actors) has been dubbed for decades into Mandarin for China/TW so I don't really have a problem with him being dubbed into English. 

Are we even sure that he’s going to be dubbed in the final film? I really can’t see them dubbing him, it’d be really odd. I wouldn’t be surprised if he speaks his native language and is subtitled in the film while they used a voice over for the trailer because it’s more effective for English speaking audiences.

Oh my god I'm so fucking here for this movie idgaf. Looks awesome! :ohmygod: 

Hope I can get through the next few months not seeing too much about what the movie's about overall because I wanna go in blind as possible. I'm sure things will slip through just hanging out in the fandom but I'll give it my best shot.

Also I don't know who this is but I love her:

0ab85d6086a9bc826e22250f82681bed49851818

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just because they weren't high boxoffice earners doesn't mean they aren't popular. Half the reason this movie was probably even made is because of the popularity of the genre. But if you really think Kevin Feige is the first one to make a popular one by attaching the MCU brand to a pseudo-martial arts movie, go ahead I guess. You'd just be wrong.

Kung fu movies are popular?

Ok, if you say so.

With 200k likes and 9.1 million views in 11 hours on the main tweet from Marvel Studios it's already far ahead of the 1st trailer of 2021 for Black Widow and the 1st trailer for Cruella. There's a lot of curiosity from the wider audience, people like when things feel fresh :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

China may have its bias.. but i just went through the FB comments for the trailer on Chinese speaking countries - i.e. Hong Kong, Taiwan and to some extend Msia and Singapore

The comments thus far quite mix to negative, mainly talking about how it looks low budget, main character is not handsome and say they don't understand why Leung would agree to be part of this movie (these people obv doesnt know Leung have not had a good movie (critically / commercially) in the last decade - their memory stuck with Infernal affairs or in the mood for love? LOL)

Oh also they said Simu Lui looks like one of their local comedian (in Taiwan) and Ronnie Cheng (Msia and SG).  Top comments also include some saying this will be the first MCU movie that they do not have desire watching.

Let's hope next trailer is better..

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

Yes, I know this...but I'm used to hearing his Cantonese in the Hong Kong releases...and was looking forward to hearing his English here.

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Are we even sure that he’s going to be dubbed in the final film? I really can’t see them dubbing him, it’d be really odd. I wouldn’t be surprised if he speaks his native language and is subtitled in the film while they used a voice over for the trailer because it’s more effective for English speaking audiences.

No, we aren't.  But the teaser voice not being him creates doubts.  When I heard Leung had agreed to do this movie, the first Hollywood movie he's ever done (after apparently being offered many through the years), I was excited significantly because we might get to hear him in English.  So that's a big part of it for me.  But regardless, if that doesn't happen, I'd still prefer they let him speak native and use subtitles.  Dubbing Asian actors for Western audiences just has a long, bad history that I'd like Marvel/Disney to move on from.  

This trailer was just "good" - for Marvel standards though, the editing could have been better. You can make a teaser trailer that still feels structured (i.e. Black Panther's teaser trailer) as opposed to just random shots with no dialogue. We aren't attached to the character/story yet for a trailer that doesn't tell us much to be effective. 

Anyway - giving me a lot of Mortal Kombat and Mulan vibes, hope they take the best of both (i.e. good fighting and good cinematography) and blend them into this movie. I personally don't care for martial arts/fight scenes, so I hope we get a lot of visually appealing, epic sequences that we saw a small glimpse of in the trailer. 

I'm still not sold on Simu Liu... like him a bit more in the trailer than I did in the poster or based off casting. Still find the actor a little too self aware on social media so he can come across as too much or obnoxious for me, but we'll see how he brings the character to life.

The final bus scene is giving me Ant Man vibes, which is not a good thing, and none of the jokes (but there were so little so not a good analysis) really landed.

I'm intrigued! I want this to be my favourite movie of the year (Asian representation in Hollywood) on the level of Black Panther, and based off everything I am seeing, don't think it will - but hopefully it still ends up amazing.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the trailer. Not my fantastically outstanding by any means, but it was enough to get me interested in the film. I'm more pumped about there being a live-action Asian superhero in Hollywood than anything, and it's something I would have loved to see growing up. That said, I do hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment seeing as this is Disney's third big release in the span of a year with a predominantly Asian cast. Mulan was a bit of trainwreck, to put it lightly; with regards to Raya, I was able to catch that one a while back, and while I think it's a good movie, I was underwhelmed with how it handled SEA representation. Hopefully third time's the charm here, but what I'm seeing so far is exciting.

As an aside, the teaser finally pushed me to start watching Kim's Convenience, and I'm honestly kicking myself for not seeing it sooner - so many things in the show that I can relate to a T

In 15.5 hours

You Tube - 13M (8M main channel)
Twitter - 12.5M (11M main handle)

Facebook - 12.5M (8.5M main handle)
Instagram - 7M (5.5M 3 main pages)

Total - 45M

Far From Home in comparison

Spoiler

Trailer views 16.5 Hours.

1.  YouTube: 30 million Approx 

2. Twitter: 16 million (13.6 million @Spidermanmovie and 1.22 million @SpidermanfilmJP)

3. Facebook: 16 million Approx (13.2 million main channel)

4. Instagram: 20 million Approx (10 million plus Tom Holland, 6 million Marvel Entertainment and rest)

Total: 82 million plus on these four platforms. Shall be close to 125-150 million views 24 hours all included

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3