MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

My daughter (15) is super excited Jackson Wang seems to have done some music for this, at least based on the trailer.  Very excited to see what they do with this (I think the guy who did some of the action scenes also did The Matrix? I read something along those lines...).

25 minutes ago, Wormow said:

That poster did him dirty though, such a terrible pose and look for him when he looks so much better everywhere else. 

That feels like par for the course to me, Scarlett looks a bit off in both the main and most recently released posters for BW. They need to go easier on the photoshop but they never do.

As pointed out by Reddit user u/alanjinqq, the statistics for the trailer on the MarvelTW and Marvel Studios Hong Kong YouTube accounts are less than favorable. 

Out of approximately 3,400 viewers who weighed in on the Taiwan account, roughly 1,600 of them disliked the trailer. And similar results came for the Hong Kong audience, as 600 of the 1,022 voters disapproved. 

That is a 53% and 42% approval rate on the YouTube metric respectively. For comparison, the most recent Black Widow trailer had well above 99% approval rating on both accounts. 

from: https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-shang-chi-trailer-china-negative-reaction

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

I never knew this was a WB movie. Is it on HBO max?

Yes, a Warner Bros. production developed for Bruce Lee at the time...had he lived, I think he would have become a major Hollywood/international cross-over star -- he was only 32.  I think great possibilities were also there for his son, Brandon, who also tragically lost his life at 28 while filming 'The Crow' in 1993.  I think 'Enter the Dragon' has rotated off HBOMax now for a while, but I'm sure it will be back.  2023 will be its 50th Anniversary and I think Warners has already done a 4K restoration that they are holding onto for their own release (a 4K restoration was not included in Criterion's recent Bruce Lee box set).  And HBOMax has picked up a 3rd season for the Bruce Lee-created 'Warrior'!  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 12:21 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Gonna take the discussion here.

@TigerPaw @titanic2187

for one, China isn't Asia. Chinese are just one part of a giant land mass of people. People, mostly Americans often use Asian as a very broad term to define just one ethnicity i.e. Chinese. FWIW, Chinese aren't the only ones in East Asia itself.

two, yeah having a Chinese American lead is gonna be tough sell like BP. BP was hugely boosted by Infinity War internationally and then legs were pretty good as it turned out great.

Um, Black Panther came out before Infinity War and I know people who saw the movie who didn’t even know he was connected to The Avengers. I think that was a huge part of its appeal, in that, you could watch and enjoy the movie without seeing a single other Marvel movie. This looks like it’ll be self contained too,

• Like 4

On 4/23/2021 at 3:49 AM, Wormow said:

That poster did him dirty though, such a terrible pose and look for him when he looks so much better everywhere else. 

They should’ve made his costume tighter. Show off the muscles.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:07 AM, eddyxx said:

Um, Black Panther came out before Infinity War and I know people who saw the movie who didn’t even know he was connected to The Avengers. I think that was a huge part of its appeal, in that, you could watch and enjoy the movie without seeing a single other Marvel movie. This looks like it’ll be self contained too,

Infinity war helped BP, just like Endgame helped Captain Marvel

I doubt both won't be released in China 

Especially Eternals, they will ask Chloe to apologize and clarify her comments and that's it.

Shang Chi i also think it will be released, but i can see this one being rejected like Mulan.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

I’m not sure how uphill the battle will be, but maybe someone more in-the-know can comment on what this story is talking about? @Gavin Feng

According to my sources, these Marvel movies still have great chances to get a release plan in China.

But I’m personally glad to see that those motherf**ker in Disney feel shit about current situations. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3