MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

21 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I doubt both won't be released in China 

Especially Eternals, they will ask Chloe to apologize and clarify her comments and that's it.

Shang Chi i also think it will be released, but i can see this one being rejected like Mulan.

Once again, I will say... She does not need to "apologize" for *anything.*

Plus, at her Oscars acceptance speech, Zhao made a particularly nice Chinese heritage reference again to her childhood, respectful enough...and possibly very canny.  But of course relatively no one watched the Oscars in the U.S. ... and it wasn't broadcast in China.

What's particularly interesting to me in Variety's recent report is the talk that *Tony Leung* could possibly be somewhat blacklisted!  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Once again, I will say... She does not need to "apologize" for *anything.*

Plus, at her Oscars acceptance speech, Zhao made a particularly nice Chinese heritage reference again to her childhood, respectful enough...and possibly very canny.  But of course relatively no one watched the Oscars in the U.S. ... and it wasn't broadcast in China.

What's particularly interesting to me in Variety's recent report is the talk that *Tony Leung* could possibly be somewhat blacklisted!  

I agreed she shouldn´t have to apologize because she didn´t say anything wrong.

But since for China this is considered wrong, i bet Disney will ask her to clarify and apologize for her comments simply to avoid drama for Eternals release. If she doesn´t i think the movie will still be released but could face some controversy, they don´t need this.

Especially because for Shang Chi the whole thing does seems way more complex.

• Like 2

"Streaming 45 days after theaters" is on the vague side of things since they don't clarify whether that means D+ or PVOD. Guessing PVOD and then D+ around Christmas (since all their other theatricals before this opens will already be on there the same day as theaters).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Macleod said:

To be honest, lots of netizens already said they will boycott him when it was announced he will play Fu Manchu / Mandarin - or now renamed as Wenwu.

The truth is that it does not affect him that much, he has not had a decent film for the last 10 years or so to be honest; and has not been a big box office draw in China. His wife Carina Lau picks his films for him and they are known not to be very particular about scripts; there is a joke that I see among Netizens that says Tony Leung owes people money hence have to take up all the crappy roles and bad films to pay off his debts. Lol. 

Please check out the ratings / reviews of one of his newest film Europe Raiders or any of his recent films… 

Many people here still lives in the days where he was in The Mood for Love and Infernal Affairs, those were more than a decade old…

Edited by TigerPaw

9 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

To be honest, lots of netizens already said they will boycott him when it was announced he will play Fu Manchu / Mandarin - or now renamed as Wenwu.

The truth is that it does not affect him that much, he has not had a decent film for the last 10 years or so to be honest; and has not been a big box office draw in China. His wife Carina Lau picks his films for him and they are known not to be very particular about scripts; there is a joke that I see among Netizens that says Tony Leung owes people money hence have to take up all the crappy roles and bad films to pay off his debts. Lol. 

Please check out the ratings / reviews of one of his newest film Europe Raiders or any of his recent films… 

Many people here still lives in the days where he was in The Mood for Love and Infernal Affairs, those were more than a decade old…

Yes, I had an impression of most of this, already.  I know he left his longtime management a couple years, back, Wong Kar-wai's company, that was a big move.  I figured the Hong Kong market had dried up, but I also figured he and other "classic" HK stars were now making money in China or "Pan-Asian" markets... the question is, then, someone's making money somewhere, if he keeps getting cast, even if the movies aren't making much money...  

Actually, ITMFL and Infernal Affairs are 20 years old!!  Time flies...  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sean B said:

So does the 45 day window thing mean that after it’s been playing in theaters for 45 days, that it will then be released on Disneyplus and Blu-ray ? 

Not necessarily.  Specific post-theatrical plans for this title haven't been announced, yet.  Disney seems to be taking their films on a case-by-case basis.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Not necessarily.  Specific post-theatrical plans for this title haven't been announced, yet.  Disney seems to be taking their films on a case-by-case basis.  

Oh, I see. Thank you.