MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Simu Liu is marketing the movie better than Disney’s marketing dept. A rare misstep for them. They should have him on every talk show and whatever YouTube shows the zoomers watch. 

Most talk shows are on Summer break, that's the problem 

Just now, Menor said:

It's getting the same marketing as any other MCU movie this far out. TV spots and posters are usually the only marketing we get until closer to release. If it opens low it'll be because interest was low, not because of marketing. 

It’s been on my Smart TV every time I turn it on. It’s getting annoying.

• Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, Menor said:

It's getting the same marketing as any other MCU movie this far out. TV spots and posters are usually the only marketing we get until closer to release. If it opens low it'll be because interest was low, not because of marketing. 

“bUt ThE mArKeTiNg” — somebody who thinks a movie they don’t want to open low might open low    

We just saw this with TSS. TSS had lots of perfectly normal and fine marketing, this has plenty of perfectly normal and fine marketing, other flops past and future usually have plenty of fine marketing. It’s just an easy way to blame something other than the movie itself.

• Like 6

Ignoring Deadline's ridiculous analysis on "what would be a good open for this", I think we have to say less than 1/2 Black Widow's OW 3 day for the 4 day would be very bad.  MCU has a very high base of movie goers, and probably 1/2 of Black Widow's open would be those folks, so this would be drawing no one else but the base...

So, if this goes $40.18M for the DOM 4 day (when Black Widow only had a 3 day), Disney heads would roll, just like WB/DC heads are rolling for TSS's open...worse if it goes under that as full theatrical - then words that start with f and b could probably be used:)...

That said, I think Disney is looking at an open right now at about that number, which is why the Deadline spin got added/leaked to the market...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just checked. Halloween from 2007 holds the record with 30.5M. So even in COVID times, this isn’t a banger weekend. Anything above 30M breaks a record and gets “Record Labor Day Weekend” press. So I feel like Expectations are a little out of whack for this, combined with I think people Overreacting to The Suicide Squad this weekend.

I also don’t get why people are convinced the marketing is dropping the ball. I’m seeing commercials for it. I’m seeing the trailer before the movie in the movie theater. And as we saw with the suicide squad this weekend, even if you spend $100 million in advertising it doesn’t mean you’re going to get $100 million box off is opening weekend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Poor Simu Liu. It's like he is the only one who cares about this movie. 

Nothing is happening except those TV spots. 

Not really. He's got a big break and a stable work going forward since they'll put his character in other Marvel properties. Also, it's a bonus that he cares. There are more careers that ended because of unprofessional behavior that public wasn't aware of than flops. As long as he doesn't Trank himself he should be fine. There are no stars anymore anyway, since the star is a brand/franchise. So lets say SC didn't do well. That wouldn't be blamed on him (an unknown) but on poor marketing, covid, release strategy, general disinterest in this kind of movie (kung fu) etc. Like how Fantastic 4 didn't hurt the cast since it wasn't their fault and industry knew that.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Cap said:

I just checked. Halloween from 2007 holds the record with 30.5M. So even in COVID times, this isn’t a banger weekend. Anything above 30M breaks a record and gets “Record Labor Day Weekend” press. So I feel like Expectations are a little out of whack for this, combined with I think people Overreacting to The Suicide Squad this weekend.

I also don’t get why people are convinced the marketing is dropping the ball. I’m seeing commercials for it. I’m seeing the trailer before the movie in the movie theater. And as we saw with the suicide squad this weekend, even if you spend $100 million in advertising it doesn’t mean you’re going to get $100 million box off is opening weekend.

You can't really say that, though, b/c MCU is different - prior to MCU, April was a wasteland and the last weekend of April an absolute fail...and then Avengers took that weekend and it's now the biggest weekend of all time on the schedule...

MCU on any weekend of the 52 has a certain baseline audience who will show if theaters are open...period.  And that baseline is high.  

Definitely higher than the $23M floated number...that may be just absolute diehards who would crawl through glass 4 hours away to get the last seat in the front of the theater folks...vs those that will see it if it's easier...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

“bUt ThE mArKeTiNg” — somebody who thinks a movie they don’t want to open low might open low    

We just saw this with TSS. TSS had lots of perfectly normal and fine marketing, this has plenty of perfectly normal and fine marketing, other flops past and future usually have plenty of fine marketing. It’s just an easy way to blame something other than the movie itself.

There's also you know that whole global epidemic going on.

Why do people still think spending a lot of money on ads and spamming commercials everywhere means good marketing? That's not what makes good marketing. I quite clearly remember shit like Mortal Engines topping TV ad spending lists, eventhough it quite clearly had some of the worst marketing material out of the films releasing around that time.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Is the marketing even creating buzz? 

30 second "Call" spot on Youtube premiered 2 days ago and has 950k views. 50k thumbs up and 437 thumbs down

30 second "Rise" spot on Youtube premiered 3 days ago and has 767k views. 39k thumbs up and 357 thumbs down

Feels like it hasn't left a footprint online. And we won't begin to have general sense of its connection to the mainstream until presales

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Is the marketing even creating buzz? 

30 second "Call" spot on Youtube premiered 2 days ago and has 950k views. 50k thumbs up and 437 thumbs down

30 second "Rise" spot on Youtube premiered 3 days ago and has 767k views. 39k thumbs up and 357 thumbs down

Feels like it hasn't left a footprint online. And we won't begin to have general sense of its connection to the mainstream until presales

For TV spots that views are great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

For TV spots that views are great

Yeah those are actually very strong numbers for TV spots. CM averaged in the 50-60k like count for its early spots iirc, that dropped to the 20k range as the release got closer. BW's biggest proper TV spot was in the 1m views 50k like range and none of the others crossed 800k/40k (there were a couple of "special looks" that did higher numbers, but those were very different from TV spots). Also have to consider "Test" which got 156k likes and 3.6 million views which is quite great for a TV spot that had very little promotion. It's on par with the "Special Look" of BW that was teased beforehand and was functionally a trailer 2 for the film. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1