MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean TSS tried with headline of pandemic record Thursday, we know how that went.

Yeah, this is what I mean. People can write whatever headline they like, but it won’t improve (or detract from) actual performance and won’t influence my judgement of the performance. 40M+positive headlines in the end is exact same as 40M+negative headlines.

18 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Well, generally the nerds give a shit about the numbers because they’e interesting. But afaik we don’t really care about headline spin, because it’s irrelevant to understanding actual performance.

I don’t know. I think the Spin is just as interesting, because that’s a big part of the industry.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cap said:

I don’t know if it was here or the tracking thread, but I pointed out before that the non-Covid Holiday Record for Labor Day is 30M OW. I think that’s an Easy enough hurdle for this to jump over, which means that regardless if it does 35 million or it does 80 million, they still can spin it in a positive light. So I don’t quite get the doom and gloom.

This. Plus, it has September almost all to itself, 3 weeks before Venom. No SJ2 surprise in sight. So even if it opened lower (above the previous record but lower than an average MCU) it should chug along nicely and likely won't drop off the cliff in the second week unlike BW, SJ2, Snake Eyes.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This. Plus, it has September almost all to itself, 3 weeks before Venom. No SJ2 surprise in sight. So even if it opened lower (above the previous record but lower than an average MCU) it should chug along nicely and likely won't drop off the cliff in the second week unlike BW, SJ2, Snake Eyes.

I'm not sure it will stay that way...tons of stuff listed as limited for Sept 10 and 17 (plus 1 wide open - Copshop), and some of that limited is highly advertised in theaters, like Cry Macho, which I've seen the trailer for a few times, but it's limited?  Same for Malignant and Queenpins (which I've also seen trailers for)...The smaller Shang Chi opens, the more those films probably get spots and don't have to go limited (if that's even right - I suspect an error for all 3, but what do I know in this environment:)...

Now, that said, all of them seem like "theater subscriber base openers"...and probably won't draw many walk ups from the general public...but there is a place for the "keep theater subscribers happy" movie bookings, especially if those films ask for less revenue back vs Disney...

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Enough is Enough. We’re getting to the bottom of this shit TONIGHT.

Results at 4PM ET. Webcast at 4:30PM ET.

If nothing is said then we can assume we’re good to go with a normal regular degular release and move on.

It won't be for this. Every single other Premier Access release announcement was months in advance of release. This one is three weeks out. Not happening.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It won't be for this. Every single other Premier Access release announcement was months in advance of release. This one is three weeks out. Not happening.

Mulan's PA was announced during Disney's 3Q results announcement last year. Almost exactly at this time and released on PA in the same weekend..

Not that I am saying they are gonna announce it later; but I am saying there is some form of basis why people are speculating...

Edited by TigerPaw

41 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Mulan's PA was announced during Disney's 3Q results announcement last year. Almost exactly at this time and released on PA in the same weekend..

Not that I am saying they are gonna announce it later; but I am saying there is some form of basis why people are speculating...

Under completely different circumstances. There wasn't vaccines when Mulan was released, or a massive controversy directly related to Premier Access. And Mulan performance isn't exactly one Disney wants a repeat of, there's a reason they announced Black Widows numbers and not Mulans.

If they do it, which I highly doubt, it'll come with a delay.

Edited by SpiderByte

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Under completely different circumstances. There wasn't vaccines when Mulan was released, or a massive controversy directly related to Premier Access. And Mulan performance isn't exactly one Disney wants a repeat of, there's a reason they announced Black Widows numbers and not Mulans.

If they do it, which I highly doubt, it'll come with a delay.

??? Your response is totally not related to what I said. I am not talking about Mulan performance whatsoever.

I am saying that some people here (not me) thinks the 3Q results announcement may carry some hopes of PA because they also did the same with Mulan and also c. 3 weeks before the PA release. Basically the point was that some people feel that the 3Q results will carry some announcement similar to last year’s