MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

May not be the best career move but it's nice to see him this passionate about the film.

4 hours ago, john2000 said:

the sec  trailer hit 2 mill views in 3 days or so... 

That usually tends to happen before release, people start viewing the trailer more. It's good that it's happening now though, shows that awareness is probably starting to tick up nicely. Could be because of it being placed in an ad, but the like count also appears to have started increasing again (which means that some of the views are "organic"), so that's good.

1 hour ago, Menor said:

May not be the best career move but it's nice to see him this passionate about the film.

How is being passionate about the film not the best career move? No studio, film-maker, cast&crew is gonna hate a star who passionately tells the fans and potential audience that the movie is worth seeing. But you know what is a terrible career move? When an actor who is supposed to promote project X hijacks the interview with his rant about the project Y and that gets all the headlines instead of the project he was supposed to promote. Or when an actor just walks off the movie because he didn't like the accommodation thus forcing the production to shut down and leaving numerous people without work. That's what rightfully sinks careers. Terrible work ethic. But passion and good work ethic? Liu's career should soar.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

How is being passionate about the film not the best career move? No studio, film-maker, cast&crew is gonna hate a star who passionately tells the fans and potential audience that the movie is worth seeing. But you know what is a terrible career move? When an actor who is supposed to promote project X hijacks the interview with his rant about the project Y and that gets all the headlines instead of the project he was supposed to promote. Or when an actor just walks off the movie because he didn't like the accommodation thus forcing the production to shut down and leaving numerous people without work. That's what rightfully sinks careers. Terrible work ethic. But passion and good work ethic? Liu's career should soar.  

Well taking a shot at the CEO was what I meant.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Are you talking about John Boyega lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

Well taking a shot at the CEO was what I meant.

It doesn't matter because he isn't hurting the bottom line. Chapek made ineloquent comment that was easily taken out of context because he isn't a person's person and he is all about dollar and diming. He should have said it more diplomatically especially considering the backlash he was already having with ScarJo over the hybrid release. But anyway, point is that Liu's shot at CEO is still "please see this movie" rather than "boycott this movie cause CEO was mean to me boo-hoo". Big difference. Chapek cares about making money so if SC is gonna make money thanks to a jab at him good for everyone. It's anti-promotion for the project that riles studios up. Liu didn't do that.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Menor said:

That usually tends to happen before release, people start viewing the trailer more. It's good that it's happening now though, shows that awareness is probably starting to tick up nicely. Could be because of it being placed in an ad, but the like count also appears to have started increasing again (which means that some of the views are "organic"), so that's good.

On a second look using Wayback Machine, likes haven't increased by as much as they would if the view increase was organic. May have been put in an ad which is boosting views. It makes sense anyway. It's very very early for views to be increasing at the rate they have been. 

Edited by Menor

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Tv spot added yesterday has high number of likes. I don't think there's something strange going on, the comments on the video are plenty, so people are watching and liking

Not the TV spots, those views and likes are definitely organic. But the trailer has added a high number of views in the past few days despite the like count not increasing by that much. That is sort of expected as we get closer to release and less invested viewers start checking it out, but given that the film is three weeks away, it feels a bit suspicious. Usually trailer views don't speed up until release week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The TV spots probably played as ads, which increased the view count. That’s pretty standard. 

The TV spot views match the like/comment numbers. I think the trailer is playing as an ad -- that is the view count that is having a suspicious increase. I think a similar thing happened with Shazam. 

Edited by Menor

https://deadline.com/2021/08/shang-chi-star-simu-liu-slams-disney-ceo-comment-we-are-not-an-experiment-1234815077/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=Deadline_BreakingNews&utm_content=293369_08-14-2021_headline&utm_term=3043955

Look, I'm not fan #1 of Chapek either, but I thought he meant that in a "the 45 day window is an experiment" way, not "East Asian superheroes" are, but I don't remember Chapek's quote about this exactly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/shang-chi-star-simu-liu-slams-disney-ceo-comment-we-are-not-an-experiment-1234815077/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=Deadline_BreakingNews&utm_content=293369_08-14-2021_headline&utm_term=3043955

Look, I'm not fan #1 of Chapek either, but I thought he meant that in a "the 45 day window is an experiment" way, not "East Asian superheroes" are, but I don't remember Chapek's quote about this exactly.

That’s exactly what he meant, people are freaking out about nothing as usual, and now all the comments about how marketing has sucked for this movie have started online. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Morieris said:

To be fair I think Liu is discrediting Chapek in a "45 day window is an experiment" kind of way. It still seems weird people are overblown and upset that a businessman is talking about movies...like a business, but I guess there's no such thing as bad publicity? (I do think there is btw, you don't have to argue with me on something I agree with :lol:)