MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

How is this expected to do in China? I know earlier reactions were a bit mixed to the trailers there.

China is a market that really depends on competition and reception (Maoyan/douban score).

Look at Dangal vs GOTG2 years back; GOTG2 opened like 3x higher but Dangal earned 2x more in the end.

Depending on whether any other big local films will be opening, for now nothing much in September (only strong movie out now is Raging Fire which stars Donnie Yen and has a 90% RT score and 9.5 douban score - but it came out on 30th July so will likely have earned most of its $$$ by then), or whether China releases some overdue Hollywood imports like Jungl Cruise or Space Jam 2.

Similar to US, Summer break ends late aug / early sep - so most high profile release like Raging Fire already opened during summer, and then 1st October is China's national day where big China films will come in.. So September is usually a dead month, and for Hollywood imports to be squeezed in post the unofficial summer black-out period.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Really stupid to release tickets so late. The corona situation is all it is talked about, people will be too scared to purchase tickets.

It has 1.5 months to itself, even if it opens to 25m it will leg to 100m IMO. Lol.

Unless WoM is bad, or else there is literally nothing stopping it. 1.5 months; i mean people will get sick of staying at home..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

I had written a big long statement of response here but the BOT system crashed just as I posted it...hmmm....  😂

I'll just say Bravo once again to Feige for handling clearly un-researched, unfair and culturally-protective questions with his usual respect, grace, and diplomacy.  There is no need for Feige or Marvel to concede to anyone; their characters for this movie are different from the comics, from its historical villains, and are clearly meant to bridge cultures for new audiences, not divide them.  This is why Feige gets paid the big bucks.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

The Japanese watch anime instead of whatever Hollywood throws out there.  

I mean the Japanese are more willing to work with us, what ever we make to honor Chinese culture, they spit in our face, i think we forget sometimes that China is an enemy of the USA

29 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

I mean the Japanese are more willing to work with us, what ever we make to honor Chinese culture, they spit in our face, i think we forget sometimes that China is an enemy of the USA

It's literally a part of the US-led global order that supplements living here. 

• Like 3