MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

No chance in hell, they would allow this movie a Chinese New Year release. 

Why not? Black Panther was Black History Month and Captain Marvel was International Womens Day. If casting really is underway, between that and having a director/writer on board it's looking a lot like this'll be the first after Eternals, which would put it in the February 12th slot. Feige said Coogler only just started outlining Black Panther 2, so it can't be that, and Strange is reportedly the May 2021 slot. Process of elimination.

Edited by SpiderByte

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Why not? Black Panther was Black History Month and Captain Marvel was International Womens Day. If casting really is underway, between that and having a director/writer on board it's looking a lot like this'll be the first after Eternals, which would put it in the February 12th slot.

I was talking about that release date in China. 

Is it not a little odd that we're getting crew announcements before any casting news? I admit, I don't always keep up with these announcements so I may be off but since the lead actor is most important, I feel like we almost always get that casting info (or a leak from a reliable source) before anything else. 

If it's true that they are just now beginning to audition/talk to actors, then it does seem a bit backwards to me. 

11 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Is it not a little odd that we're getting crew announcements before any casting news? I admit, I don't always keep up with these announcements so I may be off but since the lead actor is most important, I feel like we almost always get that casting info (or a leak from a reliable source) before anything else. 

If it's true that they are just now beginning to audition/talk to actors, then it does seem a bit backwards to me. 

Well SDCC is next month and Marvel is gonna be there

On 6/25/2019 at 10:25 PM, Ororo Munroe said:

They may have already cast the lead and just not announced it yet. Both Brie Larson and Chadwick Boseman have said they were cast far in advance of it becoming public knowledg.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eddyxx said:

They may have already cast the lead and just not announced it yet. Both Brie Larson and Chadwick Boseman have said they were cast far in advance of it becoming public knowledg.

Well yes, that's a possibility but I do remember there were leaks about Boseman and Larson before their casting was officially announced. And it's just a bit more odd in this case since the movie is so close to filming. 

Good news that they are specifically looking to cast an actor of Chinese ancestry. Still a bit baffling that this wasn't their first priority. Definitely seems like whomever they cast will need to have some martial arts experience, especially if they plan to start filming in the next 4-5 months. 

lol Marvel really wants the film to do well in China. That's why they are insisting the actor has to be of Chinese ancestry. If the original character was Korean or Japanese they wouldn't care what type of Asian the actor was lol. I wonder how they are going to change the plot because in the comics the Shang-Chi's father was super evil and I can't see them going that route. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

Well to be honest, casting a Chinese American actor or making Shang Chinese American won't ensure that the movie does well in China. If that were their main motive, I think they would cast a popular actor from China. (This is Marvel we are talking about though and the Marvel brand will sell this movie more than anything else.) To me, this likely has more to do with the writer and director being Asian...notably, the script writer, David Callaham, who is Chinese American.

3 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Well to be honest, casting a Chinese American actor or making Shang Chinese American won't ensure that the movie does well in China. If that were their main motive, I think they would cast a popular actor from China. (This is Marvel we are talking about though and the Marvel brand will sell this movie more than anything else.) To me, this likely has more to do with the writer and director being Asian...notably, the script writer, David Callaham, who is Chinese American.

no but casting a Korean American or Japanese American will ensure that it won't do well in China. This is the same studio that cut out a Tibetan character from a movie because of politics. At least if you cast a Chinese American who can speak Mandarin it helps with promotion there. I heard they were considering Ludi Lin for the role he might be a good choice. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ban1o said:

no but casting a Korean American or Japanese American will ensure that it won't do well in China. This is the same studio that cut out a Tibetan character from a movie because of politics. At least if you cast a Chinese American who can speak Mandarin it helps with promotion there. I heard they were considering Ludi Lin for the role he might be a good choice. 

Sure but I think this was a decision mainly based on the story that's being told and who was hired to bring the story to the screen. I don't think China is any more a priority than the domestic audience. 

Ludi would be a good choice, although he's in his 30s now. Wonder how open they are to expanding the age range. I've always thought Godfrey Gao would be a great choice but he's older than what they're looking for as well. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe