MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

this has better reactions than BW and no PA D+ to inflate its gross so only opening to 60M would be disappointing.  hoping for 75M-85M at least.

But less hype for the character, it's a new character and those tend to be a bit lower. Plus we have Delta which will affect BO to an extent. 

Just now, RealLyre said:

this has better reactions than BW and no PA D+ to inflate its gross so only opening to 60M would be disappointing.  hoping for 75M-85M at least.

In no reality would a $60M OW be disappointing for anything. Relax

• Like 12
  • Disbelief 1

55 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

My favorite will always be advancescreenings.com

They compile just about every website that hosts free screenings/contests and that's what I've always used for the few times I've done these advance screenings. I will suggest something however you still try and get to these showings early. I never had to wait two hours (and I honestly don't think I need to do that for Shang-Chi), but it is still a first come, first serve deal, so you should still plan to be at the theater a half-hour early or something.

I do that just to secure my nachos

9 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

People need to check Ant-man and Dr Strange openings if they think 60M for a new IP with the pandemic is low.

Both Black Panther and Captain Marvel are outsiders and Black Widow was a veteran character.

Maybe not Doc Strange either - he made $85M OW...

1 hour ago, AJG said:

In no reality would a $60M OW be disappointing for anything. Relax

If it wasn't for Covid and theater shutdowns least year $60m would have been disappointing for any MCU film. But in this day and age yes, $60m looks pretty good. 

• Like 3

60m would be disappointing in normal times but we're not in normal times. That would be enough for theaters and studios to breathe a sigh of relief. I still think overall this will lose money theatrically since it needs about 400m but so will 90% of theatrical releases this year and it'll hit profit on video, etc

Depending of China this have a good shot ar +400M

DOM i think this is doing 150M at least, because legs will be very good given it have more than a month without any competition. Foreign is bad but still +150M seems reasonable. The rest is up to China, let's see how it goes, people hated the trailer but the brand is stronger than that and trailers seems to not did any justice to the final movie.

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I tried to tell you guys the reactions would be out of this world and silly talk of a $30m opening weekend were nonsense.  

Have always thought that 30M was more of an OD target, but it seems some people couldn’t help themselves with pessimistic spirals in this environment especially after TSS flopped (despite Jungle Cruise, Free Guy, Paw Patrol, etc on the other side of the coin).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

No fan screenings destroy the movie demand. Wtf is marvel doing. Marvel really want to kill the movie. 

Jesus Christ you have been hysterical around this movie recently, and not even for reasons that make any sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox20 said:

People need to check Ant-man and Dr Strange openings if they think 60M for a new IP with the pandemic is low.

Both Black Panther and Captain Marvel are outsiders and Black Widow was a veteran character.

Ant-man opened to 57M in 2015, ranked 128th, current equivalent 70M.

DS1 opened to 85M in 2016, ranked 64th, current equivalent 97M.   

60M would be fine/strong for Shang-Chi, but only because of delta — in a normal world would be an embarrassing result and people’s expectations shouldn’t be down in the basement like that for fully post-pandemic first entries (though atm I think we’re just talking like… Blade and Fantastic Four?)

Edit: I did skim over “pandemic,” lol 😅

We’re agreed then.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1