MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 minute ago, Cap said:

Normally I’m not the one to break up a party, but I think we might’ve exhausted this topic for a while. @Lokis Legion @lorddemaxus

Hey, you can’t fire me! I quit!  

Spoiler

In other words, I couldn’t agree more and this was going nowhere further 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cap said:

Normally I’m not the one to break up a party, but I think we might’ve exhausted this topic for a while. @Lokis Legion @lorddemaxus

And also if people are interested in watching more movies, I show them twice a week! Check my signature for our lineup for the next month. And click the link for more details. We’re good group and it’s a fun time!!

NEW JACK CITY is pretty awesome. I need to rewatch that again sometime. 

$70M opening at this point sound bit outrageous. Many predictions said BW could try $90-100M opening and missed the mark for whatever reason. Maybe it could top expectation, but there are so many factors and reasons that people should lower their expectation. 

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

A $60M 3-day weekend sounds about right to me after looking at the tracking thread. Does Labor Day cause the Sunday drops to be softer than usual? If so, then it might go slightly higher.

Yes, roughly -10% instead of -33%

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

$70M opening at this point sound bit outrageous. Many predictions said BW could try $90-100M opening and missed the mark for whatever reason. Maybe it could top expectation, but there are so many factors and reasons that people should lower their expectation. 

Agree. I know some folks touted those BW pre-sales at the time, but I was skeptical walk-up demand would match and I was right-ish.* If we take the Pro tracking at face value as a moment in time snapshot, 70 would be a big leap from there. As much as my fellow Marvelites played the excuse bingo cards of pandemic/piracy/day and date and common consensus is BW without HD piracy/PA would've opened to at least 100...she's an Avenger, a known quantity. This is a new character and its marketing has done Ant-Man levels of marketing in my book.

But we've got 2 weeks to go. Tracking could go up with the good buzz. Sometimes I wonder if people are trying to move field goal posts? 

*=85 was my predix. 

3 hours ago, Mr Terrific said:

My own personal touchiness as an MCU fan comes from actually growing up as a comic book fan. Buying comic books was always niche and geeky. 
To have those same characters be culturally dominant is great (!) and strange. 
When people attack the genre, it’s harder to shake off. We weren’t born rich. We fluked into it. 

I still remember when MCU was the underdog and when it was plausible that a Avengers team up film could not open to over 100m! 

• Like 1

I just remembered I tried watching Kim's Convenience a couple days ago. Starts off with a weird, drawn out sequence about gay people (not even good cringe humor because nothing about it feels natural) and somehow the next scene is even worse. Couldn't even get to the part with Simu Liu's character. Probably better off that way.

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Frankly we only track THU previews, with $13.5M previews, it could have done $85-88M but no one saw SAT drop due to D+ coming.

Shouldn't be an issue here hopefully.

9 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Underestimate this movie at your own risk.  

I know I asked this once before, but what does that mean for you?  What range are you putting this movie in?

I mean, "it's gonna go high"/ "underestimate this movie at your own risk"  is great, but for some people, high can be $50M 3 day, $70M 3 day, or $90M+ 3 day (or 4 day b/c folks have used both)...what's your marker for this movie for "I think it's making X, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't"...

• Like 2