MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I know I asked this once before, but what does that mean for you?  What range are you putting this movie in?

I mean, "it's gonna go high"/ "underestimate this movie at your own risk"  is great, but for some people, high can be $50M 3 day, $70M 3 day, or $90M+ 3 day (or 4 day b/c folks have used both)...what's your marker for this movie for "I think it's making X, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't"...

I think anything over 60m+ in such climate is great. It's a new hero and most of the cast is Asian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryaner90 said:

Ah good, we're already getting the "everyone who is praising this movie, must have watched a different one from me and they're the one who are wrong" wankers, on day 2

In their defense, these early screen reactions have a track record of overrating films simply because they were the first to see them. I always remember when MOS was labelled a masterpiece by early reactions lol. His opinion may end up being more in line with where expectations should be, who knows.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

as long as this movie has Tony Leung doing his thing it's probably top 5 mcu.

I haven’t seen a single mention of him being dubbed so I’m hoping we can put that fear to rest. Maybe it was just for the American marketing. (I’ve never heard him talk. Does he have a thick accent?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

reactions from two person pointed out a bit dodgy on the third act, but both of them enjoy the movie. 

That second reaction seems like praise to me. I have seen a couple of reactions that praise the third act for being bonkers and several that criticize it for being a mess. Sounds like it will be interesting to watch at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I want to see Tony Leung so badly tonight but I think I'm gonna end up waiting it out due to the inconvenience. pain

That wall is your face

b3ae940f59e08d2e05666cf456255d72.gif

:apocalypse:

Edited by CJohn
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Heck why not have characters speak in the language they would, in case of Shang Chi in Chinese and release with subs.

Can always release English dub. 😏

Subtitles are getting more and more popular. People get frustrated with dub, switch to original language with English or other subs and are happy. Time will come when Hollywood won't shy away from subs. 

Most people liked the bonkers third act. I suspect this is the part the movie will go crazy in it's fantasy aspect.

At the same time is expected that some people will find weird seeing a movie that is more grounded for 2/3 of it and then freaks out on the finale. Happily it seems the emotional aspect of the finale is very well done to avoid people to be turned off by the craziness.

I keep wondering if Marvel is doing these gigantic set pieces on third acts of "smaller" films to compensate the fact that there's no avengers now. BW was the same thing, the third act not only was too much but also totally lack logistics, they put a human to be in the middle of mass destruction without any injury for 20 minutes. At least this time is a mystical / fantasy movie.

I had two issues with the third act of BW, the first being that they were trying to go big but it still felt really mundane and rote (I always want movies to really commit when they decide to go big), and the second (and more important) that the emotional resolutions were either not present or very rushed. My hope for Shang-Chi is that they just lean into that glorious fantasy chaos and throw everything on the screen. As long as the emotional resolutions land that will be good for me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Most people liked the bonkers third act. I suspect this is the part the movie will go crazy in it's fantasy aspect.

At the same time is expected that some people will find weird seeing a movie that is more grounded for 2/3 of it and then freaks out on the finale. Happily it seems the emotional aspect of the finale is very well done to avoid people to be turned off by the craziness.

I keep wondering if Marvel is doing these gigantic set pieces on third acts of "smaller" films to compensate the fact that there's no avengers now. BW was the same thing, the third act not only was too much but also totally lack logistics, they put a human to be in the middle of mass destruction without any injury for 20 minutes. At least this time is a mystical / fantasy movie.

I find it fascinating how people bring up BW somehow surviving that climax yet don't bring up (without spoilers so I'll go vague here) a big fall in the 1st act that she basically walks off. I suppose the climax didn't bother me as much as it did others because it reminded me of that freefall sequence from Saints Row 3 (Is comparing a movie to a video game a good or bad thing?)

Suspension of disbelief is subjective and everybody has their own limits, but I'm reminded of this when rewatching the first Iron Man awhile back: why didn't Tony die or at least get paralyzed when he crashed into that sand dune in his first Iron Man suit during his escape? Sure the conceit is that the armor gives him protection of sorts, but when you actually think about the rag doll physics...it's ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

I find it fascinating how people bring up BW somehow surviving that climax yet don't bring up (without spoilers so I'll go vague here) a big fall in the 1st act that she basically walks off. I suppose the climax didn't bother me as much as it did others because it reminded me of that freefall sequence from Saints Row 3 (Is comparing a movie to a video game a good or bad thing?)

Suspension of disbelief is subjective and everybody has their own limits, but I'm reminded of this when rewatching the first Iron Man awhile back: why didn't Tony die or at least get paralyzed when he crashed into that sand dune in his first Iron Man suit during his escape? Sure the conceit is that the armor gives him protection of sorts, but when you actually think about the rag doll physics...it's ridiculous. 

I was upset with the whole BW action sequences, the third act is just the epicenter of the problem. But all sequences have some choices that clearly she would die, to me the action of 2/3 of the movie is well done but don't work for a character without powers. The finale have the same problem but poor done.

BW had issues beyond just third act. There was no spying and as delightful as Nat's family may be, nobody exactly asked for them or for family angle especially since that family was never mentioned or even hinted at in 20+ movies priviously. People wanted to see something different from a BW movie, not a bridge between CW and IW but a full blown Soviet spy movie with possibly how she and Hawkeye met and worked together. They didn't get that and ultimately the movie was new character's origin story rather than a tribute to the character at the center of marketing. Also, the retcon on Black Widows organization was beyond lame. The movie's high point was the principal cast but the story, direction and SFX dragged it down.

There's no "I want to see __________" expectation from SC so it's really either going along with the story (which most reactions are) or not (twitter minority).  

Edited by Valonqar
  • ...wtf 1