MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

8 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

That’s not “way too close” that’s literally the same distance as Eternals to Spidey 3. Also the same distance that Thor4 and DS2 were dated for for quite some time (Feb 12 and March 25). One week closer than Captain Marvel and Endgame.

Thor4 and DS2 are no longer that close, and CM leads directly into Endgame so it's a different case. Spidey leads directly into DS2, and Thor 4 features the GotG. Shangchi has nothing to do with either Spidey 3 or DS2. With the non-stop marketing, it will be the one lost in the shuffle and overshadowed by the big cross-over events. I want it to succeed out of the gate and lead to sequels and more Asian led blockbusters, not barely break even and lead to less confidence in Asian leads in the future. It needs room to breathe. 

39 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Thor4 and DS2 are no longer that close, and CM leads directly into Endgame so it's a different case. Spidey leads directly into DS2, and Thor 4 features the GotG. Shangchi has nothing to do with either Spidey 3 or DS2. With the non-stop marketing, it will be the one lost in the shuffle and overshadowed by the big cross-over events. I want it to succeed out of the gate and lead to sequels and more Asian led blockbusters, not barely break even and lead to less confidence in Asian leads in the future. It needs room to breathe. 

There’s just no basis to believe that being 6 weeks after Spider-man would hurt Shang-Chi in any way. I think it will probably stay in the summer because they’ll be able to release it by then and they want to get the movies started back up, but Marvel Studios clearly doesn’t see a problem with spacing movies 6 weeks apart — nor should they.   

Edit: Also, I just realized that Thor4 and DS2 *are* actually still that close — from March 25 to May 6 is the same distance.

Edited by WandaLegion

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Now that's a weird release date. I wonder the reasoning for September?

It’s evenly spaced between their July release and November release, where else would you put it?   

Incidentally this is also why I expect the 5th 2022 release to be Sep.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Same release frame as ‘It’ which opened to $130m+

As for the reasoning, because they have a movie in July and November lol. Not a lot of options that gives space to everything. 

• Like 2

I was also laughed at in here for even pondering that this might not make it by July.  

It's nice to be right once in a while, about this and Black Widow. 

(Even though I'd obviously like to see them earlier, like anyone else...but we're talking about realities.)  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Hollywood was going to experiment with Labor Day weekend (a traditional "dump" weekend) last year with A Quiet Place II when the industry was optimistic about fall until that had to move again but the spot still ended up being when Tenet finally came out after multiple delays. Nothing is normal these days and the box office will still be in recovery mode by then so might as well give it a shot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hollywood was going to experiment with Labor Day weekend (a traditional "dump" weekend) last year with A Quiet Place II when the industry was optimistic about fall until that had to move again but the spot still ended up being when Tenet finally came out after multiple delays. Nothing is normal these days and the box office will still be in recovery mode by then so might as well give it a shot.

Agreed.  But Deadline also seems to infer that they're not convinced this is going to stay on this date, either... but perhaps Deadline is living in old-world thinking, and Disney will stick to this gamble.

I'll tell you one thing -- they wouldn't put an IRON MAN or CAPTAIN AMERICA or even BLACK WIDOW on this date -- they'd only "take a chance" on this date with an un-tested brand.  If it flops or even just underperforms for whatever reason, they'll blame it on a "recovery year" but Asian representation will take the punishment.  Not a cool thing in a year scarred by more hate crimes.  

Edited by Macleod

46 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'll tell you one thing -- they wouldn't put an IRON MAN or CAPTAIN AMERICA or even BLACK WIDOW on this date -- they'd only "take a chance" on this date with an un-tested brand.  If it flops or even just underperforms for whatever reason, they'll blame it on a "recovery year" but Asian representation will take the punishment.  Not a cool thing in a year scarred by more hate crimes.  

I mean once upon a time this was going to be a May release when the first wave of Marvel delays happened so I don't think this has anything to do with not being confident in this film. Obviously Sony won't want Spidey to move from December and Eternals seems locked in to November so there's only so many places Shang Chi could have moved.

Plus this was supposed to open February 12 originally and would be moving out of theaters by now. Studios have always treated Labor Day weekend as a dump spot because everyone is distracted by summer coming to an end (and the industry is focused on the fall film festivals that usually start around that time) but maybe that'll be one of the things that change in a post-COVID world.

6 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

They absolutely would out an Iron Man or Cap movie here in similar circumstances. They’re probably going to have a movie in this slot for quite a few years moving forward. It’s a perfectly fine slot.

When I see a tangible example of this, like a THOR movie, I will believe it.  

9 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I mean once upon a time this was going to be a May release when the first wave of Marvel delays happened so I don't think this has anything to do with not being confident in this film. Obviously Sony won't want Spidey to move from December and Eternals seems locked in to November so there's only so many places Shang Chi could have moved.

Nothing is locked at this point, I'd say.  

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Plus this was supposed to open February 12 originally and would be moving out of theaters by now. Studios have always treated Labor Day weekend as a dump spot because everyone is distracted by summer coming to an end (and the industry is focused on the fall film festivals that usually start around that time) but maybe that'll be one of the things that change in a post-COVID world.

I am not saying its impossible but Labor Day is dumping ground because a lot of large school districts start school the Tuesday after Labor Day and a lot of other schools are still in their first or second week so a lot of parents running around still for school supplies setting up the new routines etc.  There is 1 non R rated weekend in the top 70 august weekends after the 17th and you have to hit the 18th best September weekend to find a non R rated movie released before the 18th.

I can see taking a chance with a horror movie or an R rated movie as especially horror movies have been successful the weekend after Labor Day but it really would be a huge change for a movie that needs the 4 quadrants to have success then.  

• Like 1