MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

We have zero (credible) casting news and just got a director announced last month. How on earth could they start filming this before Eternals? And why would they try? I'd be more than a little concerned if that were the case. 

Keep in mind that casting in a movie doesn't happen at the same time when we hear about it in the news. Sometimes casting is officially announced long after someone finishes filming their role in a movie.

It's entirely possible that Shang-Chi had a ton of people locked down months ago.

Or not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kitik said:

Keep in mind that casting in a movie doesn't happen at the same time when we hear about it in the news. Sometimes casting is officially announced long after someone finishes filming their role in a movie.

It's entirely possible that Shang-Chi had a ton of people locked down months ago.

Or not.

I don't see this at all. That would very much make Shang an exception.

It's one thing to have the lead locked down already and quite another to say they've cast most, if not all, the major supporting characters without anything leaking. Can't remember this happening with any previous MCU movie...heck, any movie, certainly not in recent years.

And I don't think Destin has had the job long enough to have mad these casting choices, along with her every other major production decision. Just seems impossible to me to think this movie could be shooting in a month or two.  

Edited by Ororo Munroe

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Article really reads like May 2019 to me. That would be a really fast casting turnaround, but maybe.         

And if they mean gross budget rather than net, “nearly 300” doesn’t look that crazy compared to BP.   

Edit: Lol, it’s an Australian article, obviously they mean nearly 300M AUD=213M USD 😅   

That’s probably the net budget estimate then, again not too unreasonable compared to BP.

$213 before tax rebates and then it's down around the usual $170m considering they'll also get a rebate for the filming in  the UK

The article say says they're getting a reported 16.5% rebate but then there seems to be confusion on whether they're spending $100 or $150m AU there

Announcing the grant from the Location Incentive Program, a top-up to the 16.5 per cent Location Offset, Arts Minister Mitch Fifield said the production will spend more than $150 million in Australia, create 4,700 Australian jobs and use the services of about 1,200 local businesses.

“We are very excited to have Marvel return to Australia following the incredible success of Thor: Ragnarok,” Fifield said.

NSW Minister for the Arts Don Harwin said he expects the NSW spend will be more than $100 million and will create up to 770 jobs for local screen professionals.

“This is a big-budget superhero film which the NSW government has secured for Sydney through the Made in NSW fund and is the first Marvel Studios movie to be based in NSW,” Harwin said.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

6 minutes ago, Durden said:

Remy Hi would fit the bill certainly.  Very interesting if they give him a start in SM:HC

Chinese Malaysia mother, English father and all the martial arts and physicality he had to have for Marco Polo was also having a strong footing in theater.

MV5BMTEwNjQxMDQ5MTZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDA3MV5BMTA1MzEzMjkzMzFeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDQ4

MV5BMjA4NDA3MzE2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY3

• Like 2

I could actually start to entertain the idea of this movie coming out in 2020 if indeed Hii is Shang. Someone mentioned him as a possibility early on but I didn't give it much thought because it seemed odd that they would introduce Shang as a HS student in FFH. Then again, it would add up if he does turn out to be a secret agent. That would explain why they cast an actor in his 30s as a HS student (thought that was strange too). Anyway, I liked Hii on Marco Polo and will gladly take him over the other names that have been suggested.