MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

12 hours ago, ban1o said:

why is this still on the lot when it is essentially confirmed....

7 hours ago, cookie said:

Same reason Avatar 2 was put back on On the Lot recently, I guess?

Yep:

On 7/23/2019 at 2:56 PM, DeeCee said:

Moderation

Films remain in On the Lot until 18 months before the release date or until we get around to it or someone requests it be moved within that time frame. 

Technically can be eligible to be moved in three days.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

I mean, it’s not like he’s some kind of super attractive model type that you sometimes see cast for these lead SH roles. He looks fine but I assume Marvel cast him more for his personality/humor/acting chops/similarity to what they want to do with the character, which is exactly what I want to see out of big casting decisions 👍

31 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Reckon this is gonna be massive in Australia considering it was one of the few OS territories Crazy Rich Asians did well in. 

Yes, well, you have a huge Chinese population, so yeah quite likely.

Not to be superficial, but he is definitely not handsome by large asian population standard.

He is too asian looking if you know what i mean, small eyes and such. 

Domestic asians actually prefer lighter skin, bigger eyes and shit. Just look at chinese tv's and many others.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

53 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

Not to be superficial, but he is definitely not handsome by large asian population standard.

He is too asian looking if you know what i mean, small eyes and such. 

Domestic asians actually prefer lighter skin, bigger eyes and shit. Just look at chinese tv's and many others.

yeah. it's what it is. Asians love euro centric face like bigger eyes, higher nose, smaller face/head, whiter(lighter) skins.

they do lots of plastic surgery to get that feature and their media is full of them. it's basic standard for being celebrity there. it's like you should be handsome,beautifule to be on TV as lead role or popular role. 

so people like akwafina or sandra oh and many of asian american would struggle to get decent acting job in Asia If they were born in Asia.

their beuty standard is very strict, narrow and they have less social manners in terms of talking about other's outisde look. many says awful thing directly in your face.

• Sad 1

Wuxia drama actors are insanely pretty and when you watch that 24-7 on your TV, no wonder this regular guy appears to be a bus driver type in comparison. Moreover, everyone wants to be represented by the prettiest specimen so when you see that Australians are represented by Hemworth, Hawaiians by Momoa, it make sense to go "this is who they pick for Chinese SH?????"  

I'm sure he'll win people over but I understand criticism. It doesn't help that the female lead is Awkwafina who is also average cute but not a Goddess or anything. Compare that to BP where they cast famous beauties such as MBJ and Lupita. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • ...wtf 1

I'm sorry but this discussion is hilarious considering the popularity of action stars like Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, Jet Li. Even if you look at someone younger like Eddie Peng, he is no more handsome than Simu to me. 

Not that any of this matters all that much because Shang is obviously meant to be rep for Asian Americans, first and foremost. And the success of this movie is going to depend way more on the quality of the script, directing and acting than anything else.