MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

15 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

I am not saying its impossible but Labor Day is dumping ground because a lot of large school districts start school the Tuesday after Labor Day and a lot of other schools are still in their first or second week so a lot of parents running around still for school supplies setting up the new routines etc.  There is 1 non R rated weekend in the top 70 august weekends after the 17th and you have to hit the 18th best September weekend to find a non R rated movie released before the 18th.

I can see taking a chance with a horror movie or an R rated movie as especially horror movies have been successful the weekend after Labor Day but it really would be a huge change for a movie that needs the 4 quadrants to have success then.  

To be fair, that could come down to simply precedent. There aren’t many examples of successful non-Rated R films released in early September, but there also aren’t that many examples of unsuccessful non-Rated R films released in early September. There are flops, but those are typically movies that were dumped. They wouldn’t have done well anywhere. Dolphin Tale 2 and the 3D re-releases of The Lion King and Finding Nemo pulled solid numbers in mid-September.

I really can’t think of an example of a tentpole movie actually being failed by any release spot (other than being released with competition). It’s a new Marvel movie, and if enough people want to see it, there’s really nothing to suggest Labor Day weekend would stop them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nick64 said:

To be fair, that could come down to simply precedent. There aren’t many examples of successful non-Rated R films released in early September, but there also aren’t that many examples of unsuccessful non-Rated R films released in early September. There are flops, but those are typically movies that were dumped. They wouldn’t have done well anywhere. Dolphin Tale 2 and the 3D re-releases of The Lion King and Finding Nemo pulled solid numbers in mid-September.

I really can’t think of an example of a tentpole movie actually being failed by any release spot (other than being released with competition). It’s a new Marvel movie, and if enough people want to see it, there’s really nothing to suggest Labor Day weekend would stop them.

Yes, thank you, this x100!   

The idea of a “bad release date” is mostly self-reinforcing superstition at this point. There’s some received industry wisdom about “so and so date is bad” so studios put their movies that would do bad anywhere on those dates and their movies that would do good anywhere on the so-called “good dates.” But we see time and again that when studios put blockbusters in new areas, they can do just fine, as well as in a classical blockbuster date. GotG proved that for early August. Deadpool and then Black Panther proved it for Feb. It, Venom, Joker proved it for Sep/Oct. January is the remaining month with the most stigma I guess, but the truth is that Marvel could put DS2 there if they wanted and it would do the same 300-400ish that it will in March. BB4L might have already started to dispel the Jan myth for studios.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Trailer should come in the next 12 hours or so

Source? I've seen second rate Twitter accounts discuss it (Simu Liu's birthday tomorrow, Shang Chi's official Twitter being updated) but is it just speculation based on that or are any decent scoopers saying it?