MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

I think this will be a success in China but not bigger than the expected for Marvel, so yeah around $150M maybe 200M with good reception.

Maybe in the long term the character will evolve and become bigger there, but for this movie i don´t see much reason to expect a breakout from the MCU usual numbers.

I think the impressive work here is that they manage to get worldwide interest, sometimes when Hollywood tries to appeal for China market i sense they lose interest in other places because they try too hard.

Edited by ThomasNicole

Americans see Asians in same vein as their White and Black race issue. this is why Asian bait film from Hollywood make no noise in Asia countries. 

it will be interesting to see how this will perform in China.

Also don't expect "Asia buff", this is chinese character/culture, it will add nothing to most Asia countries.

and nothing would be better because "chines" title actually add lots of negative to many Asia countries.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I grew up watching Jackie / Jet / Donnie movies here in Southeast Asia... so the action seen here isn't spectacular.

Also..Tony Leung is also known for his stunt doubles and constant injury while filming the Grandmaster as he did not have any martial arts background.. so I find it quite weird to cast him as a Martial Arts kingpin in this? I watched almost all of Tony's movies eg: Infernal Affairs.

Back to the trailer, just on pure trailer - the choreography in Mortal Kombat seems better. I mean the actual movie could be much better... just my opinion.

Yep, not impressed, so far...  but to be fair, we don't know that Leung's character will necessarily be a "show off your moves" guy... perhaps magic is his whole subterfuge... and it does seem like wristbands have replaced the rings??  😂  (Even Leung's wearing them in the EW still.)

44 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

By the way, it seems they dubbed Tony Leung.

I noticed this immediately, even though I've barely heard him in English.  Totally different voice.  

31 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just watched the trailer with sound and yeah it seems like it. Really weird that he dubbed him considering he's really good at english and in fact a really eloquent speaker.

Apparently not good enough or "right" enough for Feige...  ??  

Was expecting something a bit brighter and I don't know...different...from this trailer.  Kind of bummed out.  Looks like "more of the same."  But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, anymore...  

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Lol at the Skyfall knock-off shot. Also I don’t like how Awkwafina gets typecasted as the exact same side character for comedic relief in every single Hollywood movie nowadays. 

Awkwafina is basically a yellow-skin female Kevin Hart now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Awkwafina is basically a yellow-skin female Kevin Hart now.

Yeah, she's funny, and her show is great, but her schtick will get old in movies real-quick unless she actually develops some nuanced "acting."  

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yeah, she's funny, and her show is great, but her schtick will get old in movies real-quick unless she actually develops some nuanced "acting."  

Does not help that China doesnt seem exactly fond of her / her style.

Crazy Rich Asians flopped there; Raya was also a disappointment..

• Like 1

A possible spoiler I just found it and mentioning here because some people have doubt around it. Don't open if you want surprise factor

Spoiler

Awkwafina character actually seems mysterious maybe an undercover fighter.

https://nearcompleteset.com/2021/04/19/news-target-exclusive-shang-chi-and-tlotr-marvels-katy-found/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Did you saw The Farewell?

She was great there, totally different from her funny side.

She also have some other non-mainstream projects coming, which are the ones that push her in other directions.

Her mainstream projects otherwise want exactly her funny personality, which i understand since people in general like her this way.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Did you saw The Farewell?

She was great there, totally different from her funny side.

She also have some other non-mainstream projects coming, which are the ones that push her in other directions.

Her mainstream projects otherwise want exactly her funny personality, which i understand since people in general like her this way.

She was great in that movie. Her chemistry with grandma anchor the whole thinned-plot story.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Lol at the Skyfall knock-off shot. Also I don’t like how Awkwafina gets typecasted as the exact same side character for comedic relief in every single Hollywood movie nowadays. 

It's starting to annoy me. 

I remember being confused on the Awkwafina hype when she was doing the whole blaccent thing, but I think she’s solid enough as a comedic actress when she’s away from that. She honestly was my favorite part in Raya and she seems fine here. Really I think it’s kind of unfair to say she’s annoying or is doing the same thing when she’s in the trailer for like...5 seconds

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

Americans see Asians in same vein as their White and Black race issue. this is why Asian bait film from Hollywood make no noise in Asia countries. 

it will be interesting to see how this will perform in China.

Also don't expect "Asia buff", this is chinese character/culture, it will add nothing to most Asia countries.

and nothing would be better because "chines" title actually add lots of negative to many Asia countries.

It wont add anything to Asian countries , HW still doesnt understand China BO.

Dubbing Tony Leung is really dumb.

Trailer looks decent, the fight scenes just from this look interesting, nothing ground-breaking but certainly better than most crap out there.

I'm intrigued. By far the most interesting things to me were the scenes happening in the past, with the wire-fu and stuff. I hope this part is good.