MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

The movie made $1.1B+ Worldwide/$426M domestic. I'm sure just because a vocal minority on the internet doesn't like her, Marvel must be really regretting their casting decision. :rolleyes:

Huh - you think the box office results is due to her and not the marvel brand? Lol. 😅

• Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Huh - you think the box office results is due to her and not the marvel brand? Lol. 😅

I don't understand why this statement is controversial. It's true for most of Marvel cast and even directors (Russos tanking with Cherry for example). The brand sells no matter who they cast but they are very good at matching a role and an actor.  That said, most of their leading men and ladies had no boxoffice pull before joining Marvel nor they gained any after. Which just shows the strength of the brand. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

29 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't understand why this statement is controversial. It's true for most of Marvel cast and even directors (Russos tanking with Cherry for example). The brand sells no matter who they cast but they are very good at matching a role and an actor.  That said, most of their leading men and ladies had no boxoffice pull before joining Marvel nor they gained any after. Which just shows the strength of the brand. 

Thanks. Exactly what I was trying to say; like what is the replacement value of Brie Larson, if they got another actress in - I don't think there will be any downside impact to the box office at all.

But some fans refuse to admit that I guess.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Thanks. Exactly what I was trying to say; like what is the replacement value of Brie Larson, if they got another actress in - I don't think there will be any downside impact to the box office at all.

It seems to me that quite a few characters are open for...how can I put it...not really recasting but having other characters take the mantle. So that means different actors. Cap is now Sam/Mackie not Steve/Evans. Hawkeye will be Bishop/Steinfeld not Barton/Renner. Hulk will be She-Hulk. Thor will be Mighty Thor. CM 2 will feature CM Monica and Ms Marvel Kamala (the latter likely to be the future of Marvel). None of this has anything to do with actors' star power (none of them has it and some are total newbies). It's simply what the story needs. The brand sells but the story/direction they want to take dictates who stays, who goes, who takes whose place, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

That's true for most actors in MCU ig. If they replaced Thor after 1st part wouldn't change much. Or even Ant Man or literally most actors. 

Why these questions for Brie Larson? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

That's true for most actors in MCU ig. If they replaced Thor after 1st part wouldn't change much. Or even Ant Man or literally most actors. 

Why these questions for Brie Larson? 

I was stating an example of someone who is somewhat controversial (online) to say MCU's casting may not always be right. Then out came a reply about box office; to justify that the casting was right so the natural follow-up is that she did not carry the box office. Am i not right to say that?

Fans need to relax a little and don't need to be so defensive and jump to every "superhero's" rescue.

Sometimes the narrative may not be easy to hear or swallow... but please you guys don't need to defend every point and to prove yourself right everytime.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

I was stating an example of someone who is somewhat controversial (online) to say MCU's casting may not always be right. Then out came a reply about box office; to justify that the casting was right so the natural follow-up is that she did not carry the box office. Am i not right to say that?

Fans need to relax a little and don't need to be so defensive and jump to every "superhero's" rescue.

Sometimes the narrative may not be easy to hear or swallow... but please you guys don't need to defend every point and to prove yourself right everytime.

As of rn Brie Larson is controversial in some communities online only. Same communities mostly don't like Shang-Chi or complain about Marvel being woke. 

Most people know that Captain Marvel was not best movie from Marvel but they don't have any personal problem with Brie. If we go by these 'communities' as you say then Marvel should stop making movies with anyone in lead except white man. Good luck with that. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

As of rn Brie Larson is controversial in some communities online only. Same communities mostly don't like Shang-Chi or complain about Marvel being woke. 

Most people know that Captain Marvel was not best movie from Marvel but they don't have any personal problem with Brie. If we go by these 'communities' as you say then Marvel should stop making movies with anyone in lead except white man. Good luck with that. 

I am not saying go by these communities. I am saying to acknowledge these communities exist and respect / perhaps to agree to disagree with their views. Not shove your view down their throats.

Edit: I posted before seeing Mod's comments. Will stop here. Thanks @Eric Bombay

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Knock It Off 1

I still fail to see what controversy in some communities has to do with the fact that Marvel brand can sell any character whether played by a "controversial" actor or not? @TigerPaw is right that Marvel actors don't have drawing power without Marvel and that it's Marvel that draws audience and actors just ride that coattail. The same goes for Marvel headliners such Larson, Hemsworth, Evans, Boseman, Liu, Holland, and smaller roles like Zendaya (see how big a flop Malcolm&Marie was on Netflix ) etc. Even RDJ who is arguably MCU's biggest star by a large margin was not a draw in 2008 when Iron Man debuted. But the trailer highlighted his natural star power (that was overlooked due to other reasons) and people were intrigued. But remove Disney, Marvel, Iron Man, SFX from the movie and you wouldn't have 100M opening RDJ or not. 

EDIT: typed and posted before seeing @Eric Bombay

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'll say though.. Crazy Rich Asians flopped in China even with a very attractive cast, so who the hell knows what is the right balance

It flopped because they have tons of movies and dramas like that. CRA is only novelty to Westerners but not to Asian markets. For example, 70% of Korean dramas are set in the world of chaebol heirs. Rich, famous, high fashion, opulent lifestyle, basically CRA. China produces the same content. There's oversaturation so they won't check out Hollywood version. They'll check out something that they don't have such as Marvel or Leo DiCaprio's latest. 

• Like 1

Moderation

I really hate it when you guys don’t listen to me. I said we were done with this whole debate over Simu’s looks, and I meant it. This is getting into silly, somewhat offensive territory and I am sick of this.

If anybody brings up this idiotic argument or debate again, they will be threadbanned. No exceptions.

Got it? Good. That is all

• Like 6

Whether it explodes in China or not doesn't really matter. Marvel doesn't make these films for China, even this one. I don't expect $300m there just because the lead is racially close to them or the setting is tangentially China. Even if it's "average" in terms of MCU film reception, it'll still do $125-150m.