MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

On 5/1/2019 at 8:40 PM, Captain Craig said:

This is my most excited new project from Marvel Studios. 

Big fan of Shang-Chi!

70s Marvel editorial basically took Bruce Lee, fictionalized him as Shang-Chi and BOOM, new superhero was born!

Didn't the shameless appropriation of movie stars' appearances go well beyond just Bruce Lee in that comic book? 

IIRC, during the 70s it not only featured Bruce Lee, but also Sean Connery and Marlon Brando!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 8:00 AM, Ororo Munroe said:

just got a director announced last month. How on earth could they start filming

Marvel movies need a director? i thought they were directed by commitee :stirthepot:

Edited by Alli
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

This director is quite accomplished

Is he?? I saw Short Term 12 when it came out, and it gave birth to a lot of soon-to-be big talents (Larson, Stanfield, Malek), and it got great praise, but it didn't make a huge impact. His follow-up Glass Castle ended up being a total non-event too. We'll see how Just Mercy goes, but I'd be surprised i it ended up being a big Awards player or anything. This isn't like they got Damien Chazelle on board or something.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Is he?? I saw Short Term 12 when it came out, and it gave birth to a lot of soon-to-be big talents (Larson, Stanfield, Malek), and it got great praise, but it didn't make a huge impact. His follow-up Glass Castle ended up being a total non-event too. We'll see how Just Mercy goes, but I'd be surprised i it ended up being a big Awards player or anything. This isn't like they got Damien Chazelle on board or something.

I have not seen any of his movies, but they are rated quite highly. And Just Mercy is gonna be an awards player imo. at least that's what the oscar pundits think

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Alli said:

lol would they schedule shang chi the same month as WW? I dare them... if they wanna flop

Shang Chi billie imo. Would hurt Wondy more. That said, no way it's rushed that fast unless the budget's a lot smaller than we think.

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

I have not seen any of his movies, but they are rated quite highly. And Just Mercy is gonna be an awards player imo. at least that's what the oscar pundits think

A movie like Shang Chi needs someone with a strong eye for action I think, but Marvel gets a lot of these small indie guys who've never made a movie over $5m and they end up having some really lacking action (Homecoming, Captain Marvel). Gonna be weird seeing the strongest fighter in the MCU fighting extensively through quick cuts. Also, Glass Castle was meant to be a big awards player which makes me hesitant on Just Mercy being an awards player this year.

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shang Chi billie imo. Would hurt Wondy more. That said, no way it's rushed that fast unless the budget's a lot smaller than we think.

A movie like Shang Chi needs someone with a strong eye for action I think, but Marvel gets a lot of these small indie guys who've never made a movie over $5m and they end up having some really lacking action (Homecoming, Captain Marvel). Gonna be weird seeing the strongest fighter in the MCU fighting extensively through quick cuts. Also, Glass Castle was meant to be a big awards player which makes me hesitant on Just Mercy being an awards player this year.

Really? A billie? I know nothing about this character. Is the potential that big?

True about indie directors, but i think most of Marvel action scenes aren't even directed by these indie directors. that's why  i was only half joking about marvel movies being directed by committee :ph34r:

Hey, hey, don’t knock second unit directors. A lot of CBMs have used John Mahaffie, who directed a ton of action scenes for Lord of the Rings that Jackson couldn’t do because he had to film other stuff at the same time. All that Helm’s Deep battle stuff that the Internet (rightly) loves to gush over? Most of that was Mahaffie, not Jackson.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 11:12 PM, Alli said:

Really? A billie? I know nothing about this character. Is the potential that big?

True about indie directors, but i think most of Marvel action scenes aren't even directed by these indie directors. that's why  i was only half joking about marvel movies being directed by committee :ph34r:

You don't need to know shit about the character to know it's gonna be a hit. It's an MCU movie. On that note, it's a guaranteed smash.  And Shang-Chi has the Black Panther effect of being a huge superhero movie with massive cultural implications. If anything, Wonder Woman would be hurt by this competition.

But I'm sure that the May 2020 movie is Black Widow, so no need to worry about that.

31 minutes ago, kitik said:

Considering that they probably can't use Shang-Chi's dad as the main villain, the Mandarin makes a hell of a lot of sense as the replacement.

I wasn’t sure if they’d want to use Fu-Manchu either, but they might just go with the Mandarin being Shang-Chi’s dad.