filmlover

Golden Globes thread

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm shocked Beale Street didn't get a Score nomination.

They don’t match with the Oscars that much in that category or Song.

Interesting that they didn’t bite on First Reformed or Eighth Grade.  No Aparicio or Jordan is probably close to the end of their nom chances given they’ve barely even showed up at Critics awards (I’ll wait for SAG and BAFTA though, given Globes usually doesn’t nail BSA and can miss an Actress nominee.  Probably worse for Aparicio than Jordan).

Vice has a bit of a resurgence, it’s not completely out yet, but it really needs to show up at SAG.

The good thing for Eighth Grade and First Reformed is I don’t think it was all that imperative for them to show up here.  But given that the Best Actor winner is typically present as at least a nom (due to the fact they nominate 10), it’s not a good miss for Hawke.

Despite all of this, I still don’t like to make a huge deal out of the Globes.  It’s a small press committee, and works more to alter the narrative than to give an indication of how the academy is actually going to vote.  Haven’t decided how much more weight I really need to give the Globes in my model.  I may choose only to give extra weight to Guilds and BAFTA, as there’s actual academy voters that choose those.

Edited by PANDA

Also Elliott missing here makes me more inclined to believe that Grant is gonna win the Oscar (Ali will win here to make up for last time). The last scene between him and McCarthy is really gonna seal it for a lot of voters. More people here really need to see that movie in general.

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

I guess when it comes to the TV side of the Globes it's not that big of a deal.  Still would have been nice to see.   Glad to see Barry continue to get love

I kind of think we all make a bigger deal out of the Globes than we really need to be.

They’re a fun precursor, but not really all that more accurate at predicting the Oscars than some of the critics circles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I just realized Mary Poppins didn't get a Song nom. That's some BS right there

Globes has a very poor track record on matching with the Oscars in Song, so I’d think Poppins is still pretty much locked to get at least 1 Song nod at the Oscars.

1 minute ago, PANDA said:

Globes has a very poor track record on matching with the Oscars in Song, so I’d think Poppins is still pretty much locked to get at least 1 Song nod at the Oscars.

yeah the globes song category they usually snub showtune-y songs like the mary poppins ones in favour of pop stars doin' songs for the credits or whatever, whereas the oscars are usually the opposite. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also Elliott missing here makes me more inclined to believe that Grant is gonna win the Oscar (Ali will win here to make up for last time). The last scene between him and McCarthy is really gonna seal it for a lot of voters. More people here really need to see that movie in general.

Yeah, Grant’s performance has the fullest arc out of the ones I’ve seen.  Rockwell and Ali just won too, so I’d say he is the front runner currently.

He’s certainly not my preference for a Supporting Actor win (but they aren’t even nominating some of the better supporting performances) but it’s the kind of performance that awards circles and the oscsrs like to give the win to,

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah the globes song category they usually snub showtune-y songs like the mary poppins ones in favour of pop stars doin' songs for the credits or whatever, whereas the oscars are usually the opposite. 

They’re trying to get the Popstars to come to their ceremony, pretty much.

Another reason I’m going to try and factor the Globes less into my model.  They give out a lot of noms based off if it’ll help them bring in names.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Which is why I’m kind of surprised Sunflower and Love Lies didn’t get nominated, especially because both have hit the top ten (and the former is bound to return by the end of the year)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Which is why I’m kind of surprised Sunflower and Love Lies didn’t get nominated, especially because both have hit the top ten (and the former is bound to return by the end of the year)

I feel like Love, Simon was just too “teen” for the Globes despite its significance (then again so was The Edge of Seventeen but they had to make up for snubbing Steinfeld for True Grit).

After seeing Green Book, and watching its momentum in the awards race, I really think Ali is the favorite in BSA. I loved Grant but it feels like too small of a movie and not quite like something Oscar goes for. Ali's performance is exactly the kind of thing that the big awards bodies go for, at least traditionally, and I think there's just as much chance they want to give it to Mahershala twice than Grant or Elliot once. Everyone loves the dude.

Other thoughts

- I would be much more worried about Hawke missing if Eighth Grade had shown up all over, or Collete/Schrader got noms. As it stands, they just really didn't go for the A24 flicks this year. Will see if it continues, but I still think he's fairly safe for a nom.

- Black Kkklansman is back in the race between this and AFI. It's my number eight right now, with either Vice or one of the A24s getting in as number nine.

- The fact that Gosling couldn't even squeeze out a Best Actor nom with this body is pretty bad. I thought that if anyone was going to go for First Man, it would be these guys. It's starting to look beyond cooked.

- Vice did great here but voting was all done before HW Bush died. Now all of establishment liberalism (the Academy's base!) considers George W. Bush to be a candy-passing hero of civility and resistance, so I wouldn't read too much into it doing well today. That said, fuck yes, Vice!

• Like 2