filmlover

Golden Globes thread

Just now, filmlover said:

Will say I’m surprised Foy managed to show up despite Gosling missing. Still think she’s gonna end up missing at the Oscars though.

i think she'll get nominated because i don't know who the alternative is. maybe margot robbie if queen of scots could pick up a little more buzz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think she'll get nominated because i don't know who the alternative is. maybe margot robbie if queen of scots could pick up a little more buzz.

I think it’ll be Kidman tbh. Boy Erased is going nowhere otherwise but she had a great year between her three movies and it’s the movie of the three most likely to get any above-the-line attention given the importance of the subject matter. Also perhaps the strongest of the three year-end Focus releases too (and they can make lone acting nominations happen if Ruth Negga and Michael Shannon two years ago are anything to go by) unless Mary Queen of Scots really starts to gain traction soon.

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Which is why I’m kind of surprised Sunflower and Love Lies didn’t get nominated, especially because both have hit the top ten (and the former is bound to return by the end of the year)

the thing is they like pop stars but they are also all old people so yeah, dolly parton and annie lennox are gonna get nominated over post malone and normani.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it’ll be Kidman tbh. Boy Erased is going nowhere otherwise but she had a great year between her three movies and it’s the movie of the three most likely to get any above-the-line attention given the importance of the subject matter. Also perhaps the strongest of the three year-end Focus releases too (and they can make lone acting nominations happen if Ruth Negga and Michael Shannon two years ago are anything to go by) unless Mary Queen of Scots really starts to gain traction soon.

i don't know. the globes love kidman and they gave boy erased a couple nods and she couldn't get in here for that.

Edited by CoolioD1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Go all in on Emily Blunt, Coolio. Give her the double nominations.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There's one every year, wasn't just Phantom Thread. Lots of contenders.

Idk, basically everything in the top 13-14 except First Reformed was nominated for something. I guess I’d lean towards AQP because the industry support is really strong?

I'll challenge myself to think in terms of box office.

There's only a few films left out of this field that haven't come out or are only beginning their expansions. The Favourite should be able to benefit nicely from these five nominations as the film looks to expand throughout the coming weeks. If Beale Street Could Talk, which will go wide on Christmas, has the chance to use its three nominations to gain attention. A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are still doing well in wide release and could very likely see their success elongated; Green Book is benefited greatly by its five nominations, and more people will see the film as a result.

Not show how this will affect Vice, Destroyer, and the foreign films yet. Though Mirai has one more Fathom Events showing on Saturday, and I bet animaniacs who were on the fence will consider going to see it because of this nomination.

Speaking of animation, it is very rare for a wide release animation to be released after the golden globe nominations, and that's if it's ever happened at all. I'm interested in seeing whether or not the nomination causes an increase in buzz and a notanly higher box office haul than it would've had before.