Noctis

FB: CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD: WHAT WENT WRONG?

I love the Wizarding World Universe to my core, but I have always been realistic when it came to the expectations of the box office of the films, and I predicted $920m for HBP, $970m for DH1, and $1.25b for DH2, so I was never that far. Crimes of Grindelwald, despite it falling horribly in the US, China, and South Korea (and somewhat the UK due to the conversion), is still doing relatively closely to the first film. 

Crimes of Grindelwald looks to finish with $630m WW. FB1 finished with $814m WW.

All 9 WW films were certified fresh, but CoG was 40%. It also got a 53 on Metacritic. I actually place CoG above CoS and GoF due to the character of FB2 and the adult tone of the film, but my God, I completely and utterly understand why anyone who isn't a massive diehard of the lore would feel lost. 

JK Rowling is one of the most people I admire in the world, and I genuinely love her work, but she needs help when it comes to screenwriting, because it's obvious she wrote CoG as a novel when it was a screenplay...it had some incredible scenes, but so much of the film was cut out. 

Some say David Yates needs to be cut, and my suggestion is Del Toro who is a massive lover of the universe and consistently says not directing one of the Potter films is one of his biggest regrets. So what do you think should happen? Personally, Yates' direction was great despite the material he was served, and he even said that the biggest struggle in this film was managing the multiple character arcs. 

So what do you guys think should happen?

Edited by Noctis

I am of the opinion that the focus of Newt in this series was a mistake. Newt is a classical 2nd tier character, he shoudnt be the main protagonist. If this series was mainly about Dumbledore and Grindelwald, i think it would have been better.

Also, Rowling went mad in the sreenplay. Like, totally bonkers. Someone needs to guide her, someone who should probably be a professional screenwriter. A book and a screenplay are 2 totally different things.

Edit: But 600M+ WW is still not a failure at least. Makes this whole 5 films idea less probable though. Otoh, 5 films i thought were always too many for a series like this.

Edited by Brainbug

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I am of the opinion that the focus of Newt in this series was a mistake. Newt is a classical 2nd tier character, he shoudnt be the main protagonist. If this series was mainly about Dumbledore and Grindelwald, i think it would have been better.

Also, Rowling went mad in the sreenplay. Like, totally bonkers. Someone needs to guide her, someone who should probably be a professional screenwriter. A book and a screenplay are 2 totally different things.

Edit: But 600M+ WW is still not a failure at least. Makes this whole 5 films idea less probable though. Otoh, 5 films i thought were always too many for a series like this.

Did you just read about Zoe Kravitz's interview where she said that Leta's death was a last minute decision? I was stunned when I read it.

• Astonished 1

Just now, Noctis said:

Did you just read about Zoe Kravitz's interview where she said that Leta's death was a last minute decision? I was stunned when I read it.

No i didnt. Thats madness. She was the most interesting character for me too.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

No i didnt. Thats madness. She was the most interesting character for me too.

Exactly. Her scenes were not only A-class Potter, but she was the most interesting female character...her dying upset me so much. So when reading that it was a last minute decision, it really bothered me. 

I already explained it.

It s the George Lucas syndrome all over again.

Like Lucas was the Father of Star Wars, Rowling is the Mother of the wizarding world and for this movie, nobody and I mean nobody, from Warner biggest suits to the director and the intern who brings her cofee can contradict her on her creation, in any shape of form, she has the final say on eveything.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, filmlover said:

They made a lame and convoluted movie that was unappealing to even a solid portion of the fan base. Pretty simple.

I've always liked you a lot. And I can agree with you...but I defend this film solely because of Leta who represents so many women of the Middle East. 

EDIT: I know Leta was black, but my God, she represented Middle Eastern women (including Turkish and Iranian) more than JK Rowling could have ever known...which made her death doubly more hurtful.

Edited by Noctis

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

nobody cares.

I love you btw. I regularly visit only one site and this forum is it, and you are always hilarious...but sometimes I wish I could hear your genuine thoughts instead of one liners. 

Just now, Noctis said:

Leta Lestrange is the character that prevents me from giving this movie a D. 

Her scene with Dumbledore was so moving....was it just me?

Her scenes were mostly great. But it was like finding some tasty meatballs in the midst of overcooked sphagetti while the chef yells at you that every small detail is important and other customers are already leaving because they dont find this mess attractive.

Thats Crimes of Grindelwald for me.

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I already explained it.

It s the George Lucas syndrome all over again.

Like Lucas was the Father of Star Wars, Rowling is the Mother of the wizarding world and for this movie, nobody and I mean nobody, from Warner biggest suits to the director and the intern who brings her cofee can contradict her on her creation, in any shape of form, she has the final say on eveything.

BTW...I actually want to hear more of you what you liked and disliked about the film. It's easy to say what you disliked, but I want to know what you, a Parisian, thought of the film.

9 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I love you btw. I regularly visit only one site and this forum is it, and you are always hilarious...but sometimes I wish I could hear your genuine thoughts instead of one liners. 

i do scattered thoughts in the review threads sometimes but i didn't have much to say about this one. i did not care for it.

Edited by CoolioD1