Noctis

FB: CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD: WHAT WENT WRONG?

Easy. The first movie was an indescribable mess. I despised it and hated its guts.

The second one is 20 times better - but it is all too late now. People who've been f*cked by the first - just don't go to see the second.

Very sad - but this is exactly how business works, and a valuable lesson. Once again: Grindelwald is a great movie (saw it again last night), which is much better than anything Potter; maybe only Azkaban comes close. But it is all too late now, they've started on the wrong foot with Fantastic Beasts - should have just cut it out entirely (it was just dumb fluff), and started with the real thing (Grindelwald).

A valuable lesson, as the Shay said, for Rowling, and anyone else. FIRST you capture the public - and only THEN you can afford (but still not advisable) to expand the story with tons of boring fluff. NOT the other way around!

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

I don't understand people who say this franchise should be about Dumbledore and Grindelwald and not Newt. This movie was marketed around Dumbledore and Grindelwald, and audiences didn't care, as opening weekend numbers show.

We need to look at things more objectively and ignore our personal feelings and wishes. Audiences don't care about Dumbledore's past, really. And they care even less about Grindelwald, because he was barely presented to us in the first movie.

As for Newt. The first Fantastic Beasts movie was all about him and his friends, and it had amazing word of mouth. Audiences liked him. We didn't get attached to him and his friends as much as we were about Harry and his friends, but let's be fair, we wouldn't be as attached to Harry if we only had one book/movie. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was just Newt and his friends' first adventure.

And that's where JK Rowling was wrong. The sequel should have been another adventure for Newt and his friends. It should have continued to establish these characters and made us care more deeply about them. And in small doses, continued to establish Grindelwald as a big villain that Newt's gang will have to face in the future.

I actually don't know what Crimes of Grindelwald is about, because I didn't see it yet. I'm talking about what was sold to audiences, and why we didn't show up on opening weekend or after.

Warner Brothers and JK Rowling went wrong. An actual experienced screenwriter(s) should have been hired for these movies from the get-go.  WB mistakenly assumed since Rowling loves to write about this world that she could make good screenplays, And it seems that JK greatest strength is also her biggest weakness; she loves to write and writes a whole lot.

She has so many ideas for this world and wants to use as many of them as she can, I fear she has a difficulty in restraining herself during the writing process. WB really needs to listen to the complaints for this movie and improve upon the next because I want this franchise to succeed and will stick with it as long as possible, but there will need to be some changes.

• Thanks 1

What went wrong was FB1 itself. It reminds me of how ASM1 succeeded and Sony though everything was hunky dory. Loved franchise and curiosity will get people the first time around if the movie is fine, but getting them for sequels is a whole new beast. FB1 was a lame way to carry forward the Potter universe with millions of stories to tell.

7 years of James, Lilly, Snape, Serius, Weaslys. Wormtail etc in Hogwarts with a lot of those same teachers would have been magical. Would also have given links and hints around what happened in the HP years as the story would have flown together.

Another thing to do in parallel was to boost the fledgling WAG by making a beautifully rendered animated version of a Potter universe story (interestingly like what Sony is doing with Spidey this year, Venom + Spiderverse)

But no, we got the FB franchise. Riddikulus...

• Like 1

Don´t think FB1 was the problem. 

It was very well received (for me, it was a surprise). 

FB2 opened very well overseas (yes, includind China). But legs are not good, because of the WoM. 

I also think it could go much higher domestic if it had a better score on rotten tomatoes.

Maybe it could do 750M WW if it was well received. 

But if they don´t change the diretor and hire another writer to help her, this series will be in big trouble. 

We can´t just say "Oh, if was Rowling´s fault, not Yates".. ok, it can be true, but Yates is a medíocre director, if they want to recover the public attention, they need to do BIG changes. 

The first movie was amazing! It was magical, it was cohesive, it was fun and just all-around great.

The second was is very messy. It’s too dark. The magic lost its spark. The fun was also toned down (a lot). I was sooooo bored watching it.

I feel like this is a Narnia situation all around again. The first one was beloved and flocked all around the world, then the sequel dropped the ball hard be trying to be edgy, but ended up chaptic.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:48 AM, Dingdong said:

I feel like this is a Narnia situation all around again. The first one was beloved and flocked all around the world, then the sequel dropped the ball hard be trying to be edgy, but ended up chaptic.

Yet I think the second Narnia film is tons better than the first one, save for the ending battle. Much darker and thematically more interesting.