filmlover

SAG 2018 thread

lmao, all this REGINA KING WILL SWEEP talk looks so dumb now :hahaha:She’ll replace Robbie at the Oscars, but this definitely hurts her chances at winning

Emily Blunt is coming in for those double noms!

Hawke is looking weak now too. I think the SAG 5 is the Oscar 5

SAG could line up in Actress too, but I’m still thinking Close gets snubbed for Fisher or Kidman.

Uhhhhhhh.... Bohemian Rhapsody in ensemble is pretty random. I’ll lol hard if it somehow makes it into Picture

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Black Kkklansman - more proof you shouldn't write a movie off based on the first few awards. 

The Favourite missing for Ensemble is huge. 

I'm looking at people from the Favourite who made it in and the conclusion I come to is that Nicholas Hoult is not well liked by his guild.

• Haha 1

Yeah, these nominations definitely skewed populist. I definitely got my hopes up rooting for people like Ethan Hawke and Thomasin McKenzie.

No The Favourite or Vice for Best Ensemble is a surprise.

Both Blunt and Robbie getting in over King is both a huge shock and a huge bummer.

I'm really hoping that final five for Supporting Actor stays locked in place. That'd be a very good set of nominations, even if Michael B. Jordan is getting shut out.

I'm especially happy for John David Washington, but I'm not sure if I was willing to have him make it in over Ethan Hawke and/or Willem Dafoe.

And I'm really hoping--really hoping--that Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't get further than this. Rami Malek is a fine choice for a nomination and I accept its likelihood, but I really don't want it to steal a Best Picture slot from a more deserving film. It would easily be the worst Best Picture nomination since Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close.

supporting actor and actress are probably the oscar line-ups. supporting actress sub emily blunt for regina king. actor take out jd washington for hawke but i have such doubts (though there's no way 3 categories are going 5 for 5). ignoring that shape of water wasn't nominated last year the old "best picture winner has to be nommed for ensemble" stat things are looking easier and easier for star is born.

Actress looks like the safest best to be "the five" - really unless Yalitza Aparacio sneaks in I think those are definitely the nominees on Oscar morning.

John David Washington is starting to look good for Best Actor, and sadly it will probably come at the expense of Hawke, though I like JDW.

Supporting Actor feels like the five, which is a shame. Sick of the Chalamet buzz and guys like Driver/Elliot getting in for those performances over Hornsby/Jordan/Yeun etc?

Supporting Actress is a mess. I'm still not convinced Blunt is making it in, and hella not convinced Margot Robbie is.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm looking at people from the Favourite who made it in and the conclusion I come to is that Nicholas Hoult is not well liked by his guild.

+ taylor swifts boyfriend Billy Lynn. he missed this and she missed album of the year it's probably revolutionary road in their household rn.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

supporting actor and actress are probably the oscar line-ups. supporting actress sub emily blunt for regina king. actor take out jd washington for hawke but i have such doubts (though there's no way 3 categories are going 5 for 5). ignoring that shape of water wasn't nominated last year the old "best picture winner has to be nommed for ensemble" stat things are looking easier and easier for star is born.

Nah, I think Robbie gets snubbed before Blunt. AQP has way more support than MQOS. Supporting Actor can replace Chalamet with Rockwell because he seems the likeliest to hit SAG and the Globes then miss the Oscars. Actor is gonna go 5/5, and if I wasn’t feeling a Close snub right now, I’d say Actress goes 5/5 too.

I guess this only strength Amy on Supporting Role; King was supposed to do well given her reputation among the TV sector of SAG. She won't have that support at Academy so those votes are moving to Adams and maybe Favourite ladies.

Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and Crazy Rich Asians... i guess they really need to up ratings otherwise don't understand those noms  

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Nah, I think Robbie gets snubbed before Blunt. AQP has way more support than MQOS. Supporting Actor can replace Chalamet with Rockwell because he seems the likeliest to hit SAG and the Globes then miss the Oscars. Actor is gonna go 5/5, and if I wasn’t feeling a Close snub right now, I’d say Actress goes 5/5 too.

han i don't care.

• Knock It Off 1

Sam Rockwell is not getting nominated! He's barely even been mentioned outside the Globes! The movie is divisive, maybe about to go rotten on RT, and not getting a Best Picture nom - couldn't even score a SAG nom today in Ensemble, and they gave one to the Big Short.

This ain't happening Han.

• Sad 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Yeah, Best Supporting Actor is likely gonna align with the Oscars now. Happy for Chalamet continuing his ascension even though that movie was pretty mediocre otherwise.

Did they not get screeners for If Beale Street Could Talk?

All the Annapurna screeners and Mary Poppins were sent at the same timeframe, so it definitely wasn’t a visibility issue.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

han i don't care.

Bish.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sam Rockwell is not getting nominated! He's barely even been mentioned outside the Globes! The movie is divisive, maybe about to go rotten on RT, and not getting a Best Picture nom - couldn't even score a SAG nom today in Ensemble, and they gave one to the Big Short.

This ain't happening Han.

Then who replaces Chalamet? I’m not sold on him getting another nomination.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nobody. He's gonna make it and continue getting the hype that better young actors should be getting instead. That looks like the five and if someone else gets in its gonna be Jordan not Rockwell.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Did they not get screeners for If Beale Street Could Talk?

That's what I was thinking; I think back on the trailers for the film, and I think to myself, this should be an easy ensemble nom, with how many actors conversing in a room together. I feel like these were Annapurna's nominations to lose, and they fumbled the ball, just like they did with Detroit last year. It's disheartening. Like, if your distribution company needs a few more years before you're experienced enough to run successful awards campaigns, then don't you dare drag down some of the best films of a given year with poor management.

This is shaping to be a worst-case scenario year for me as a fan of independent film.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Still think Michael B Jordan can pull a surprise there (think Jonah Hill with Wolf of Wall Street), but the lack of a SAG today hurt him a good bit probably. MBJ/Rockwell/Chalamet are probably fighting for that final spot.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1