filmlover

SAG 2018 thread

I'm floored! So much love for BKKK! JD! Adam! Ensemble! 

Rise Rami, Rise! Also, I don't care what people think of BR script but cast was OUTSTANDING (save Littlefinger). They deserve this.

The last but not the least, THE QUEEN EMILY GOT 2 NOMS! 2 NOMS FOR QUEEN EMILY! YASS QUEEN SLAAAY! 

Guys, I'm overwhelmed. :bravo::worthy::ohmygod::Venom:

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Then who replaces Chalamet? I’m not sold on him getting another nomination.

Steven Yeun.

I'm absolutely serious. He's gotten enough critic wins as to where, if Magnolia plays a lucky hand correctly, he'd be an easy diversity nom. I'm probably wrong, but two wins causes a performance to achieve a level of consideration where it wouldn't before.

Just now, Slambros said:

Steven Yeun.

I'm absolutely serious. He's gotten enough critic wins as to where, if Magnolia plays a lucky hand correctly, he'd be an easy diversity nom. I'm probably wrong, but two wins causes a performance to achieve a level of consideration where it wouldn't before.

Call me defeatist cynical Asian but I don't see him sniffing a nom.

• Sad 1

Just now, Slambros said:

Steven Yeun.

as much as i love him in that (my favourite performance of the year) burning probably won't even get a foreign language film nomination. the movie is... pretty far out of their wheelhouse. oscar voters are gonna turn off their screener before steven yeun's character even shows up.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i know widows has been completely abandoned as an awards movie. but how you pick bohemian rhapsody, which has exactly one good performance (seriously who else are they thinking of when they voted best ensemble here?) over that i don't know.

Because BR made people feel. Widows may be technically better acted and have bigger names but BR strike the chord. Plus, actors love to nominate the small guys, unassuming actors who have no shot in individual categories. That was a big thing with Argo. All those Clea DuValle's who never have a chance with roles that put you on the map, the background players, were voting for those background players to get recognition.

BP wins this, though.

Just now, Valonqar said:

Because BR made people feel. Widows may be technically better acted and have bigger names but BR strike the chord. Plus, actors love to nominate the small guys, unassuming actors who have no shot in individual categories. That was a big thing with Argo. All those Clea DuValle's who never have a chance with roles that put you on the map, the background players, were voting for those background players to get recognition.

BP wins this, though.

you're right i'm glad the evil gay manager and bryan singer's boytoy from x-men apocalypse got the shoutout.

• Like 4

Well, I'm curious to see what happens with Margot Robbie, to be honest.

I'm not sure if she'll be nominated, but I'm wondering if good box office is possible for the film, and if it is, I'm interested to see if it'll affect her chances. We'll see. I dunno.

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Well, I'm curious to see what happens with Margot Robbie, to be honest.

I'm not sure if she'll be nominated, but I'm wondering if good box office is possible for the film, and if it is, I'm interested to see if it'll affect her chances. We'll see. I dunno.

I think she's the odd duck that SAG likes to nominate from time to time. But if she hits BAFTA...

For reference, they didn't go 5 out of 5 with the Oscars in one category last year. They matched the Oscars in two categories in 2016, 0 in 2015, and 1 in 2014. So it's not THAT predictive, and getting more than two to match up would be fairly unprecedented. We know Supporting Actress probably won't match and Actress probably will....so I'd say it's likely that one of Actor and Supporting Actor matches and one doesn't.  

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Updated with nominees in first post. Marvel Domination in that Stunt category. Rejoice @Valonqar!

I'm super happy that my AM&TW got recognition. But biggest question - will Tom Cruise appear with the stunt team when Fallout wins since he did his own stunts and is practically a stuntman himself? :thinking:

19 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

lowkey blackkklansman is a serious dark horse best picture contender ftw. i said it back when it came out but i lost my way and now i'm back to it.

I'm rooting for this. Also, it's peaking at the right time without the frontrunner backlash baggage that's gone the Green Book way. Plus, it is time for an African American director to win so who better than Legend Spike? 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I'm rooting for this. Also, it's peaking at the right time without the frontrunner backlash baggage that's gone the Green Book way. Plus, it is time for an African American director to win so who better than Legend Spike? 

Legend Steve McQueen :Gaga: