filmlover

SAG 2018 thread

7 hours ago, PANDA said:

I get they nominated three movies with diverse casts.  Doesn’t change the fact that when it comes to recognizing actors specifically they still go for the white people in awards bait flops over people like REGINA KING

Agreed. Saying that it's a hollow gesture is perhaps an overstatement considering that anyone who wins as part of the ensemble gets an award, but it feels like a cop-out to, say, nominate the cast of Black Panther as a collective whole but leave Michael B. Jordan out in the cold - AGAIN - for an individual nomination despite how great he's been across three very different roles in very different genres in his Coogler collaborations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Agreed. Saying that it's a hollow gesture is perhaps an overstatement considering that anyone who wins as part of the ensemble gets an award, but it feels like a cop-out to, say, nominate the cast of Black Panther as a collective whole but leave Michael B. Jordan out in the cold - AGAIN - for an individual nomination despite how great he's been across three very different roles in very different genres in his Coogler collaborations.

All three of MBJs Coogler performances that were snubbed were as good or better than the eventual winners.

Fruitvale Station, he was better than Mcconaughey 

Creed, he was about as good as DiCaprio

And he’s as good in BP as any of those supporting actor noms.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PANDA said:

All three of MBJs Coogler performances that were snubbed were as good or better than the eventual winners.

Fruitvale Station, he was better than Mcconaughey 

Creed, he was about as good as DiCaprio

And he’s as good in BP as any of those supporting actor noms.

No

Fassbender and Damon were better, but otherwise yeah. Leo is one of the weakest winners this decade

No

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I've only seen Driver and Elliott but he's absolutely not as good as those two. 

I’ll agree to disagree with that.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

No

Fassbender and Damon were better, but otherwise yeah. Leo is one of the weakest winners this decade

No

Idk, if you said McConaughey in Mus, maybe I’d say better than MBJ in Fruitvale Station.  But personally think that’s MBJ’s best performance and that it was better than any male performance that year bar DiCaprio in Wall Street.

7 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I think it's the 1st time where popular films edge out the awards friendly films in ensemble.

You could almost argue that this year's ensemble selections are entirely comprised of what could be feasibly be considered 'popular films'. A Star is Born, Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Crazy Rich Asians all grossed more than $100M; furthermore, while it may seem like a stretch to call Klansman 'popular', it did make $48M at the domestic box office, while also managing to overperform in certain overseas markets, and *when* that film is nominated for Best Picture, theaters will be reintroducing it to their schedules to accommodate the Best Picture trophy-hunters who haven't seen it yet. So in the sleeper-hit sense, in the word-of-mouth sense, in the VOD-sales sense, and in the public discussion sense, Klansman could also be considered 'popular'.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Megan Mullally has been announced as the host btw. That moment when the previously hostless until recent years Golden Globes and SAG awards have cool hosts and the Oscars are looking to be without one at all.

i think the oscars' issue is that they can't afford to have cool hosts like mullally or samberg/oh because they feel like they need someone big for ratings even if it should be john mulaney and nick kroll.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think the oscars' issue is that they can't afford to have cool hosts like mullally or samberg/oh because they feel like they need someone big for ratings even if it should be john mulaney and nick kroll.

That's the thing, though.

It's the Oscars.

There will always be people tuning in, even if viewership dwindles. So, while I know there should be more attention on the small films that get nominated, I still ask myself: why should they care about viewership? Are they losing money if not enough people tune in? It's not like the Oscars will ever be canceled outright... so it almost doesn't matter who hosts, because the spirit of the Oscars is intact.

5 minutes ago, Slambros said:

That's the thing, though.

It's the Oscars.

There will always be people tuning in, even if viewership dwindles. So, while I know there should be more attention on the small films that get nominated, I still ask myself: why should they care about viewership? Are they losing money if not enough people tune in? It's not like the Oscars will ever be canceled outright... so it almost doesn't matter who hosts, because the spirit of the Oscars is intact.

abc are breathing down their necks right now. i mean they're charging $3million for ad space during the oscars this year and they need the ratings to keep justifying those prices. the academy really need to look into taking the oscars to netflix or something once the current contract ends so they can stop w/ the annoying changes and ratings gimmicks and just let the oscars be what it is.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

They want someone with a legion of fans who will tune in for anything they do but also someone with a squeaky clean social media history. Too bad for them that no such big name exists in 2018.

Bohemian Rhapsody getting such love is very ... surprising. I liked the movie, it's got plenty of heart but man does it have flaws... I mean maybe you could argue that it's biggest asset is that by the it makes you forget about all the flaws and leaves you with a nice,warm feeling. But shouldn't critics be seeing behind that?

I mean... the only notable performance was from Malek everybody else was... fine?!?!

15 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Bohemian Rhapsody getting such love is very ... surprising. I liked the movie, it's got plenty of heart but man does it have flaws... I mean maybe you could argue that it's biggest asset is that by the it makes you forget about all the flaws and leaves you with a nice,warm feeling. But shouldn't critics be seeing behind that?

I mean... the only notable performance was from Malek everybody else was... fine?!?!

Yeah I really don't get why it was picked for Best Ensemble of all things when Malek was the only real standout performance from that cast.