AndyLL

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS*** Aquaman Spoilers ***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

On 12/25/2018 at 1:44 AM, Deja23 said:

He was...but he had really nice hair. Lol. Plus Dafoe made up for it, as he did in most of his scenes. He and Kidman were the only two who were believable. I guess I’d put Heard at 3rd, which surprised me because I was not impressed by her performance in JL. The octopus scene was hilarious. And my audience seemed into the movie and clapped at the end.

William Dafoe has the worst performance in the entire film.

not even kidding - he looks so out of place, and his smile looks like he is a villain waiting to stab Aquaman in the back anytime in the movie...

• Thanks 2

I couldn't take Black Manta seriously. Everything about him felt like something cliche and contrived from a nineties CBM played straight, (even Martin Sheen in Spawn was more of a credible threat and antagonist) from his"trauma" "Aquabro, sonofabitch, you kill my daddy by letting him die...", his vendetta "Aquabro, sonofabitch, I'll kill you for killing my daddy by letting my daddy die!" (that costume building sequence lol) to his ridiculous bug eyed Power Rangers villain suit "CALL ME BLACK MANTA, SONOFABITCH!" (3 minutes later "Sheeeeeit see ya in the sequel sonofabitch! Black Manta's Vendetta will get lit but not yet!")

And the dude kept on reminding me of Kanye West. :sparta:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Another thing I noticed after a second watching today: The Justice League scene with Aquaman and Mera is now retconned. In JL, Aquaman tells Mera he doesn't care about his mom. He's mad at her for abandoning him.  But in Aquaman, he loves her and she's dead because of him.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

No thats just your inner Raimi trilogy fan

Haha, perhaps perhaps.

but honestly, William Dafoe and Dolph Lundgren could have switched roles!

A sinister King, with ulterior motive of wanting to get back at the surface world - played by William Dafoe.

Mentor of Aquaman, well-versed in Martial Arts - Played by Dolph Lundgren (who has genuine martial arts background).

Love the film but honestly these 2 roles can switch.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2018 at 11:44 AM, MovieMan89 said:

Since I seem to be banned from the Aquaman thread for some reason even though I literally can't remember the last time I posted there, gonna leave my spoiler free take here:

Geez, what a frustrating film. Haven't had this big of a dichotomy on aspects of a film in awhile. The spectacle and visuals of the film are incredible and even wildly creative in places. But why must that dialogue and character development remain so cringey? I can forgive the highly overdone and predictable plot template the movie has, since it's a template that has worked well many times and still can with the right execution. But most of that dialogue sounds ripped out of some misguided 13 year old boy's machismo laden fantasy, and Momoa's Aquaman is still played as the ridiculous one note dude bro from Justice League.

Some of those action sequences are some of the most imaginative and enthralling I've seen in awhile though, particularly the second half. The movie is a visual feast, that's for sure. And it never feels like generic action overload that becomes background noise like all of Snyder's DCEU films do. I was very captivated by the spectacle. I do feel like most of the ingredients were there for something special, but I can't give it a free pass when the main character is still a silly caricature who spouts WWE one liners and the others either follow suit or are woefully generic copy and paste archetypes.

Also, what on Earth is up with some of those costumes? Aquaman's official costume is incredible, yet people like Heard and Kidman are left looking like they walked fresh out of Party City on Halloween night. Even Joel Schumacher must be somewhere going "damn, that's tacky."

I can't express how much I wish this movie had a more talented screenwriter and someone who isn't as one note as Momoa playing the titular character.  Wan sure as hell has proven himself as a master of spectacle after this, but he's no Cameron in terms of having a firm grasp on the importance of grounded and well executed characters.

Damn, I just posted a shortened review of these exact thoughts in the daily thread:)...

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Haha, perhaps perhaps.

but honestly, William Dafoe and Dolph Lundgren could have switched roles!

A sinister King, with ulterior motive of wanting to get back at the surface world - played by William Dafoe.

Mentor of Aquaman, well-versed in Martial Arts - Played by Dolph Lundgren (who has genuine martial arts background).

Love the film but honestly these 2 roles can switch.

Willem Dafoe has played plenty of non villainous roles...

• Like 1

So I'm guessing Atlan created his trident after Steppenwolf invaded Earth. I think it would have been a nice tie in if Mother Box helped Atlantis advanced technologically. 

4 hours ago, Frozen said:

Another thing I noticed after a second watching today: The Justice League scene with Aquaman and Mera is now retconned. In JL, Aquaman tells Mera he doesn't care about his mom. He's mad at her for abandoning him.  But in Aquaman, he loves her and she's dead because of him.

Tbh Snyder had a lot of plot holes within his own films as well. I think ignoring most of his canon is the best decision they've done.

1 hour ago, Heat Vision said:

Tbh Snyder had a lot of plot holes within his own films as well. I think ignoring most of his canon is the best decision they've done.

Speaking of Snyder, I hope DC doesn't abandon his interpretation of superman and batman in future films. The man has some really good idea, but just lacks the skills to pull it off on screen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rocinante said:

Speaking of Snyder, I hope DC doesn't abandon his interpretation of superman and batman in future films. The man has some really good idea, but just lacks the skills to pull it off on screen. 

I love Man of Steel and will defend it to the end but BvS Superman was terrible. Can't judge his Justice League Superman because almost all scenes were reshoots. Loved Batman in BvS but they destroyed him in Justice League.

13 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yup, I did not say that he hasn’t. But he excels at being a villain plus that’s what GA remembers best.

disagree

GA remembers him probably best in roles like his character in Platoon

(depends on: who is GA, that can be different interpreted in a way)

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

GA as in internationally.

Than Platoon might be a good example in my POV.

GA does not look up actors names in general, especial is usually not aware about actors's names of other countries

Platoon made waves by itself, got him his first Oscar nom, that brought his name into the mind of a certain % of the GA, also the role was rather memorable, the film got a lot of screenings for years on TV,...

Also Florida Project got him an Oscar nom, again a positive figure

For actors not looking 'beautiful', not living a 'celebs-live',.... mentioning in news and.... is still one of the best reasons to get a name into the minds of GA. Not niche movies