AndyLL

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS*** Aquaman Spoilers ***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

46 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

I love Man of Steel and will defend it to the end but BvS Superman was terrible. Can't judge his Justice League Superman because almost all scenes were reshoots. Loved Batman in BvS but they destroyed him in Justice League.

I was meh about the theatrical cut of BvS, but the extended cut was quite good, not the greatest of course but certainly not the garbage people assume it to be. Probably the film was too real for its own good and I guess people just didn't expect it from a shm. The philosophical theme was great but the execution could be much better. Supes and Batman are great ( Jonathan Kent's story about the horses gets me everytime).  I even really like Lex, almost everything he said is pure goodness (he could tone down his laugh/chuckle though, I hate that part). 

In case you haven't watched this yet, here's some pretty good defense for BvS:

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

There were some flaws and although I thoroughly enjoyed the ride I was a slightly annoyed by all the Atlantins killing each other in a giant battle and then 5 minutes later....

To be fair, when Aquaman came in, he pretty much slaughtered all the Brine himself. 🤣

As much as I enjoyed the visuals of that sequence, I was a bit miffed that he erupted from the ground under the Brine and wipes them all out like that - I might be wrong, but I don't remember seeing any other afterwards, just the Atlantins, Xebel and Fishermen against Aquaman a and his fishy buddies. 

So I suppose it SORTA makes sense that they would stop fighting, as they are three united factions, two of which had little loyalty to Orm beyond their own interests (Xebel wanted to show the surface what their place in the world was, but didn't want Orm to be Ocean Master and the Fishermen were strong-armed into it) and their society clearly abides by customs, as evidenced by the previous gladiatorial fight, so Aquaman clearly being the true heir justifies the switch... 

I personally found it easier to go along with than what happened with Black Panther's finale. I was ready to go on a rant about rhat just now, but this isn't the place, and I also don't like to dwell on stuff like that. 

• Like 2

I was reading the discussion of plot holes on reddit and here is one that is interesting. Orm's father doesn't make any sense. The soldiers at the lighthouse tell Atlanna she has to marry King whatever his name was. But he's a king? Of what? None of the kingdoms we saw. And he could;'t have been king of Atlantis because Atlanna was their heir. So where did he come from?

18 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I was reading the discussion of plot holes on reddit and here is one that is interesting. Orm's father doesn't make any sense. The soldiers at the lighthouse tell Atlanna she has to marry King whatever his name was. But he's a king? Of what? None of the kingdoms we saw. And he could;'t have been king of Atlantis because Atlanna was their heir. So where did he come from?

Well, they didn't completely flesh out the details, but an easy explanation would be as follows: she was the Princess of Atlantis but women cannot rule on their own and as such have to marry and become consorts. She had an arranged marriage with... Orvax, was it? Think he's some kind of high born in the New 52,rather than actual royalty. Upon their getting married, he ascends to the throne. She doesn't wanna live within that marriage, runs off, does the whole light keeper, Arthur thing, is forced to go back to keep them safe, begrudgingly has a "trueborn" heir, she tries to raise him with compassion for humans, the king finds out that she had already had a son with a surface dweller, sentences her to death and all that jazz... So, long story short, he's king because he married her... Obviously this is in no way made clear and official in the movie, but it would kinda work, no? 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

LMAOOO Aquaman is terrible. The tired storyline, the bad dialogue, the lack of chemistry between Jason Momoa and Amber Heard (how can someone so beautiful be so dull onscreen?), her $5 polyester Ronald McDonald wig, Patrick Wilson's complete failture to be a compelling villain (he's supposed to be in his 20s? Lololol), the other villain who feels so irrelevant you forget he exists, the bad guys' cheap Power Rangers suits, the shoddy underwater visuals, Nicole Kidman's random outfit changes in the middle of a raging battle and her showing up a the end in a glittering Studio 54 outfit... 

A disaster...but still oddly entertaining despite it all. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just saw this. It's barely competent and it kinda works if you don't think about it. I'd rank it just behind WW from the DCEU.

James Wan was great in this, the visuals were pretty to look at, though some of the VFX were on BP/WW 3rd act disaster level. The action sequences were wonderful.

Kidman was amazing, her storyline was the only "great" part. I did enjoy Momoa but everyone else was pretty mediocre/bad.

I also like how they didn't kill OM or BM. I like villains to be there for more than a movie, something that the MCU has been terrible at (or that FoX-Men milked way too much)

The most entertaining part is that this movie is everything that DC fans claimed to hate about the MCU, and how the world is SO willing to support DC that movies like WW and AM have great reception even though they're barely above average. Marvel can't really compete with the DECADES of dominance that DC had. 

Edited by expensiveho

On 12/28/2018 at 9:59 PM, La Binoche said:

the lack of chemistry between Jason Momoa and Amber Heard

their chemistry was workable, IMO, nothing out of this world but considering that the movie didn't reply on it, it was fine. Ant Man and the Wasp, however, have the same chemistry which is a problem because it's what the movie replies on and it isn't amazing at all but should be. But that's what you get with Paul Rudd. He never has amazing sparkage with anyone. Too much of a nice guy. If they paired Evangeline with a Josh Holloway-type (read: if Scott and Hope were Hank and Janet which would allow for sexy chemistry instead of family-friendly safe one) then you could kiss "palate cleanser" goodbye and have the real deal. But, they opted for family market so... 

either way, I don't think that chemistry between Arthur/Mera was absent but Mom&Dad had better one. Again, didn't hurt my enjoyment because it isn't a sexy duo type of a movie. 

Edited by Valonqar

On 12/27/2018 at 2:28 AM, Heat Vision said:

I love Man of Steel and will defend it to the end but BvS Superman was terrible. Can't judge his Justice League Superman because almost all scenes were reshoots. Loved Batman in BvS but they destroyed him in Justice League.

They "marvelized" Batman in Justice League. I hated it.

Lol the film seems not that well liked in this thread here at least.

Anyway, 10/10. Aquaman is cheesy and incredibly stupid and stupidly gigantic and bloated and i loved every second of this beautiful mess of a film. Not 1 second was boring. Mera was..........ahhhh. 10/10, A+.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I did like Arthur and Mera's arcs but their chemistry isn't great unfortunately. If it was the section of the film when they're adventuring on the surface would have by far been my favourite part of the film.

The star of Aquaman is James Wan definitely. But yeah wish the script had been much more tighter and cut off some characters.