AndyLL

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS*** Aquaman Spoilers ***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

29 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I missed this reference too. Which scene was it in?

Just after Mera finds her vehicle and encourages Arthur to get in. As soon as they set off, Annabelle is sitting in a chair under the water at the left hand side of the screen with other items that have been thrown away. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Just after Mera finds her vehicle and encourages Arthur to get in. As soon as they set off, Annabelle is sitting in a chair under the water at the left hand side of the screen with other items that have been thrown away. 

I’m searching that doll too but didn’t manage to... Too much of happening in the film haha!

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Ehhh I’ll see if I like it, I know they want these upcoming films to be standalone but they’re all interconnected.

They won’t be if they continue to ignore the previous mistakes.

There’s a one word reference to a previous DC film and that’s it. And it’s amongst other comments so could easily be missed. 

I think it’s a good idea. Hopefully WW84 doesn’t have any at all. 

Saw it in IMAX 2D. A lot of fun. A visual feast, and that include Amber Heard and Jason Momoa's physique for certain target audience. The de-aging special effects, though, are not well done, more of blurring effects than "natural" de-aging effects I saw in MCU so far. At its worse, it is "smearing" rather than blurring.

However, the story-telling, thematic development, characterization and acting are quite mundane and uninspiring. I very much like Willem Dafoe but feel that he does not shine in this film, granted his role is quite limited.

The penultimate "fight"/encounter of Arthur with Karathen is kind of meh, and I had expected a bit more twists/nuances in the process of retrieving the Trident. The ultimate fight between the brothers are again meh, a bit anti-climatic for me. So the later part of third act is bit of let down after great actions in the first 80% of the film. (Or maybe some visual fatigue had set in for me.)

Overall good popcorn blockbuster but rather forgetable. 7/10.

Edited by justvision

1 hour ago, justvision said:

Saw it in IMAX 2D. A lot of fun. A visual feast, and that include Amber Heard and Jason Momoa's physique for certain target audience. The de-aging special effects, though, are not well done, more of blurring effects than "natural" de-aging effects I saw in MCU so far. At its worse, it is "smearing" rather than blurring.

However, the story-telling, thematic development, characterization and acting are quite mundane and uninspiring. I very much like Willem Dafoe but feel that he does not shine in this film, granted his role is quite limited.

The penultimate "fight"/encounter of Arthur with Karathen is kind of meh, and I had expected a bit more twists/nuances in the process of retrieving the Trident. The ultimate fight between the brothers are again meh, a bit anti-climatic for me. So the later part of third act is bit of let down after great actions in the first 80% of the film. (Or maybe some visual fatigue had set in for me.)

Overall good popcorn blockbuster but rather forgetable. 7/10.

The last battle between Orm and Arthur Reminds me of Journey to the West

I don't know If James Wan has inspiration from the novel or not. Asian Audiences Love it.

Edited by bangbingchan

18 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

So there is a Kraken in this, played by Julie Andrews I hear. Is it actually referred to as a “Kraken”?

Krathen or somethong...

16 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

No, they stop fighting for...mom. But Wan made this be better than Martha.

It was more than that?I mean Arthur breaking Orm's trident meant Orm's defeat before Atlanna showed up

15 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

The moment Wilson said "mom." I had a Martha flashback. :lol:

It was better.And i loved Martha.

8 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Any post credits scene?

One.Nor that exciting.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bangbingchan said:

The last battle between Orm and Arthur Reminds me of Journey to the West

I don't know If James Wan has inspiration from the novel or not. Asian Audiences Love it.

I guess you referred to the way Arthur swings the Trident around his body, an more impressive and "upgraded" gesture (or 招式 in Chinese) than what Vulko taught him. This is actually how Bruce Lee swang his nunchucks, letting them gliding around his body. I believe it is from Bruce Lee that James Wan got the inspiration.

IIRC the novel "Journey to the West" does not describe how the Monkey King swings his magical staff in this way, though some TV/film adaptation might show this gestures (I did not saw all JttW adaptations). However, even if some of media adaptation have this, they were likely inspired by Bruce Lee's nunchucks swinging from early 1970s.

There are several other scenes where James Wan seemed to be inspired by Wuxia/KungFu movies. E.g the scene in Rome where Mera was being chased after reminded me the first fight scene in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon".

Edited by justvision

On 12/14/2018 at 12:17 PM, justvision said:

I guess you referred to the way Arthur swings the Trident around his body, an more impressive and "upgraded" gesture (or 招式 in Chinese) than what Vulko taught him. This is actually how Bruce Lee swang his nunchucks, letting them gliding around his body. I believe it is from Bruce Lee that James Wan got the inspiration.

IIRC the novel "Journey to the West" does not describe how the Monkey King swings his magical staff in this way, though some TV/film adaptation might show this gestures (I did not saw all JttW adaptations). However, even if some of media adaptation have this, they were likely inspired by Bruce Lee's nunchucks swinging from early 1970s.

There are several other scenes where James Wan seemed to be inspired by Wuxia/KungFu movies. E.g the scene in Rome where Mera was being chased after reminded me the first fight scene in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon".

It's not just gesture,But also the costume,backaround music.Journey to the west Is Very popular In China.The 80s TV series is still Broadcasting nowadays.It's a bit like Star War in US.My Girl friend also think of Jttw.She hardly watch CBM films before.I don't know What movie or novel James Wan has inspiration from.The action battle is great.

Edited by bangbingchan