AndyLL

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS*** Aquaman Spoilers ***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

• Community Manager
18 hours ago, Macleod said:

Plenty.  I'm a big critic of Homecoming, for instance.  (Even though that's driven somewhat by Sony.)

Papering over the ludicrousness of moments with humor can help a lot.  Marvel execs seem to get that...Warner Bros. execs, still not so sure.  They haven't yet found a clear tone to establish with their DC stuff...because it's an entirely different creative/producing relationship, first of all...

It's also starting to harm the ability to make more serious blockbusters. That's a shame. The Dark Knight didn't need jokes to work even if it could be ludicrous at moments. But today you can't make a Dark Knight because it needs jokes to undermine everything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Why did he meet up with a random ass stranger lol? 

I guess it doesn't really matter. 

I should not care, but I guess i care enough to comment.

Did you watch the video again? She ambushes him with the air bubble and so as a decent being, he asks if she survives the attack. If you see some stranger thrown accross the room, would you at least ask if they are ok?

It's also starting to harm the ability to make more serious blockbusters. That's a shame. The Dark Knight didn't need jokes to work even if it could be ludicrous at moments. But today you can't make a Dark Knight because it needs jokes to undermine everything.

I don't even think you need to go so far on the opposite side of the spectrum as THE DARK KNIGHT. One of the things I loved about INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE is it had the self confidence to be serious for a few minutes at a time and let the dramatic moments land.

Contrast that with GUARDIANS VOL. 2 (a movie I liked) where every - single - serious - moment is undercut by a joke, so consistent you could set your watch by it.

I would argue that The Dark Knight is very funny.  Part of its charm.  (Same with Batman Begins.)

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I would argue that The Dark Knight is very funny.  Part of its charm.  (Same with Batman Begins.)

The humor in the Dark Knight is very different than say the jokes the MCU makes. I can't see Batman going to say Two-Face and making a joke about his face. There isn't a single joke during that confrontation between Batman and Two Face. After he makes a sacrifice and takes the fall for Harvey's crimes, once again, no jokes. It's all presented as seriously as possible. A Marvel movie would have added jokes because it doesn't like letting itself get too serious.

• Like 1

That cutting tense moment by joke for forced levity is a disney exec thing which most of the popcorn movies have adopted to an extent.

Also TDK series get cheeky moments/dialogues after a semi-serious scene, it has tons of moments where the scene almost winks at you but it earns each of those instead of making it a punchline

12 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Logan?

• Community Manager
11 hours ago, Klingo said:

Why save a random submarine in the middle of the ocean?

'Cause he's a superhero, duh.

Come on.

13 hours ago, nick64 said:

Logan?

Closest I guess but like I'd like MORE Logans being made in general. ;)

• Like 1