AndyLL

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS*** Aquaman Spoilers ***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

8 minutes ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

Only one second. One time.

Saw my niece shared a post, James Wan appears as cameo in the film 😳

I notice twice.Before Mera pick up her ship,There is annabel in garbage.After mera and Arthur drive out,There is another Annabel outside in deep sea

Since I seem to be banned from the Aquaman thread for some reason even though I literally can't remember the last time I posted there, gonna leave my spoiler free take here:

Geez, what a frustrating film. Haven't had this big of a dichotomy on aspects of a film in awhile. The spectacle and visuals of the film are incredible and even wildly creative in places. But why must that dialogue and character development remain so cringey? I can forgive the highly overdone and predictable plot template the movie has, since it's a template that has worked well many times and still can with the right execution. But most of that dialogue sounds ripped out of some misguided 13 year old boy's machismo laden fantasy, and Momoa's Aquaman is still played as the ridiculous one note dude bro from Justice League.

Some of those action sequences are some of the most imaginative and enthralling I've seen in awhile though, particularly the second half. The movie is a visual feast, that's for sure. And it never feels like generic action overload that becomes background noise like all of Snyder's DCEU films do. I was very captivated by the spectacle. I do feel like most of the ingredients were there for something special, but I can't give it a free pass when the main character is still a silly caricature who spouts WWE one liners and the others either follow suit or are woefully generic copy and paste archetypes.

Also, what on Earth is up with some of those costumes? Aquaman's official costume is incredible, yet people like Heard and Kidman are left looking like they walked fresh out of Party City on Halloween night. Even Joel Schumacher must be somewhere going "damn, that's tacky."

I can't express how much I wish this movie had a more talented screenwriter and someone who isn't as one note as Momoa playing the titular character.  Wan sure as hell has proven himself as a master of spectacle after this, but he's no Cameron in terms of having a firm grasp on the importance of grounded and well executed characters.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, was I the only one who thought that actor playing teenage Arthur in the flashback with Willem Dafoe was really bad? Granted he was saddled with some really clunky dialogue but his delivery of what should have been a serious exchange literally made me cringe.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, was I the only one who thought that actor playing teenage Arthur in the flashback with Willem Dafoe was really bad? Granted he was saddled with some really clunky dialogue but his delivery of what should have been a serious exchange literally made me cringe.

He was, but it did keep the consistency that he'd grow up to be Jason Momoa.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He was...but he had really nice hair. Lol. Plus Dafoe made up for it, as he did in most of his scenes. He and Kidman were the only two who were believable. I guess I’d put Heard at 3rd, which surprised me because I was not impressed by her performance in JL. The octopus scene was hilarious. And my audience seemed into the movie and clapped at the end.

4 hours ago, YuleGreen said:

Letting Orm live gives hopes for character development. I heard he got over his hatred for the surface in the comics and formed a family so it would be nice to see that play out in the sequels.

this. I always prefer when they keep villains with potential alive cause they can go in many interesting directions. will never get over King N'Jadaka's premature exit from BP. :(

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

he's no Cameron in terms of having a firm grasp on the importance of grounded and well executed characters.

I'm guessing you have never seen Avatar before. At least people can remember Aquaman's character. Does anyone remember Sam Worthington's character in Avatar? 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

I don’t understand the complaint that Jason Momoa’s Aquaman is just some “dude bro”. He’s not as regal as the character is usually portrayed as, but there were parts of the film which demonstrated that he isn’t just some meathead. Not only can he apparently speak Russian, but he also was pretty well versed in history. Besides, if they portrayed Aquaman the way he is in the comics (stoic and sophisticated), people who are unfamiliar with the character beyond the Superfriends cartoon (which is the vast majority of moviegoers) would’ve complained that they’re trying too hard to get people to take  Aquaman seriously.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm guessing you have never seen Avatar before. At least people can remember Aquaman's character. Does anyone remember Sam Worthington's character in Avatar? 

People remember Aquaman because he's a famous comic book character that has been around for decades, not because of this movie. The characters in Avatar may not be super memorable, but they are definitely well developed and realized. Momoa is a WWE character in this, nothing more. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

People remember Aquaman because he's a famous comic book character that has been around for decades, not because of this movie. The characters in Avatar may not be super memorable, but they are definitely well developed and realized. Momoa is a WWE character in this, nothing more. 

He was known as a joke before this though. Was he ever known as a WWE character as you call it? The Aquaman from the movie is basically a new character. Honestly, I think both Avatar and Aquaman play with archetypes. I would in no way call any of the characters in Avatar grounded or real except for maybe Neytiri. Also, well-developed characters are usually memorable because character development is what distinguishes a character. Archetypes usually aren't so distinguishable.