sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Previews - Spider-Verse $3.5M | Mortal Engines $675K

2 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Does anybody whether the numbers for Once Upon a Deadpool will be counted separately or will they be added to Deadpool 2's total? Not that it'll make much of a difference one way or the other, but I'm just curious.

Fox stated that the grosses will be added into Deadpool 2's total.

Deadpool 2

Domestic Total Gross: $318,491,426
Domestic Lifetime Gross: $319,775,346
Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

SpiderVerse should do $200m with ease. Although it’s playing heavily Male and non family (both 67%). Sing did nearly 8x, so 6 is reasonable for still over $200m. 

There was no point in that Deadpool re release. 

So looks like Mortal Engines will be the biggest bomb of the year? -$150m possible loss according to deadline. Wow.

Sing opened on a Wednesday and had Christmas Eve on it's first Saturday, that makes Sing an awful comparison.

And I kind of doubt it's an Avatar or Jumanji.

So I'd say it will probably clear a 5x, but I doubt it will get much further.

Next weekend has MPR, Aquaman and Bumblebee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Sing opened on a Wednesday and had Christmas Eve on it's first Saturday, that makes Sing an awful comparison.

And I kind of doubt it's an Avatar or Jumanji.

So I'd say it will probably clear a 5x, but I doubt it will get much further.

Next weekend has MPR, Aquaman and Bumblebee.

Ferdinand although it opened smaller might be a potential comparison and that had strong competition as well as 6x multiple and around the same timeframe 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

As we mentioned previously, exit demos for Spider-Verse were 67%  non-families, with men 25+ repping 41% of moviegoers, followed by men under 25 at 26%. Both enjoyed the movie with men under 25 giving it 96% and men over 25 a 91% positive score. Boys under 12 outnumbered girls 70% to 30% in turnout. Diversity demos were 43% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African American and 15% Asian.

that's a super low African American % (even Widows mustered 22% which is still low compared to BP and Creed) but not surprising because aside an African American/Latino hero, the movie is pretty much white. The mentor is white, love interest is white, villain is white. It's really more a movie for whites than anyone else. Ethnicity of the lead doesn't necessarily make a movie for that ethnicity first. 

Not surprised by huge male appeal over female. My sisters loved it but they were almost only girls in the cinema and they told me they couldn't get their girlfriends excited about it even with all praise. They all want to see Aquaman cause "he's so hot". 

• Like 2

Looking at mid-December weekends pre-Christmas :

Coco - 10m weekend - added 60m in rest of the run

Moana - 12.7m weekend - added 86m more

Grinch - 12.5m weekend (Deadline) - 60m away from 300m dom

grinch.gif

btw,

WIR2 - 9.5m weekend (Deadline) - 45 away from 200 dom, 55 away from Coco

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 3

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Poor Mortal Engines. Normally, id laugh at numbers like these, but they just make me kinda sad. The film looks quite interesting and wasnt a franchise film for once. Oh well.

I’m glad that, for once, people aren’t laughing at the misfortunes of a big budget bomb.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, a2k said:

grinch.gif

As expected, Grinch is holding extremely well with Christmas looming so close (same with Nutcracker). The only thing stopping me from jumping on the $300 million train is that Christmas-themed films have notoriously bad legs after the holidays. Still, beating Sing would be a major success. 

54 minutes ago, a2k said:

grinch.gif

Finally gotta disagree on something you post...on Dec 26th, Grinch is gonna start its freefall from both a rapid theater dump (probably dumped for the Dec 25 openers) and a disinterest in Christmas things post-Christmas.  Now, pre-Xmas, I think it does better than both those posted movies...but I'm not sure these 10 days will be worth the 12 days after Xmas (plus the remnant legs to MLK Day:)...especially since kids aren't off til Dec 21 around me this year:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Ralph has underperformed big time IMO. I liked the original and coupled with Internet & Disney stuff, I was hoping for $250mn plus North America but right now $200mn seems like struggle.

In fact, being about 70% of The Grinch in daily numbers, will go lower further, is embarrassing.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

You are aware about the Grinch being non-existing in at least some Christian non-English-speaking countrie's culture?

The number of movies in general increases over the years since e.g. 1980 to 2018 quite a lot (btw, in my POV that is also a reason so many indies... have a problem earning money)

= I'd expect every genre to increase, not only SH (as far as someone want to call SH a genre)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/

Look at the ' # of movies ' column

The same char is also nice for a fast glance about average ticket prices in he same time-frame, for earlier years the average costs and screens, and yearly results development

Yes, but that would have required taking continents country by country:)...that becomes a long, boring post:)...the point was just those countries who have no Christian audience are almost certain to reject the film...the same goes for those countries who don't really do the "secular" Christmas thing and who don't know this book...aka, the audience was always gonna be limited in parts WW...and the studio knew that going in and planned accordingly...

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Ralph has underperformed big time IMO. I liked the original and coupled with Internet & Disney stuff, I was hoping for $250mn plus North America but right now $225mn seems like struggle.

I'm disappointed in its run too after such a big opening day. Unlike most sequels, it doesn't seem to have expanded the original fanbase by much (if at all). It will likely fall under the first film adjusted ($215 million) at this pace. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Finally gotta disagree on something you post...on Dec 26th, Grinch is gonna start its freefall from both a rapid theater dump (probably dumped for the Dec 25 openers) and a disinterest in Christmas things post-Christmas.  Now, pre-Xmas, I think it does better than both those posted movies...but I'm not sure these 10 days will be worth the 12 days after Xmas (plus the remnant legs to MLK Day:)...especially since kids aren't off til Dec 21 around me this year:)...

I agree with him. Grinch, if follow Moana, will add $45mn plus till Christmas, considering $12.5mn plus this weekend.

$15mn post that won't be an issue, no matter how big it fell, especially when Holiday period is still there till New Year.

Just now, filmlover said:

The Grinch stole some of Ralph’s thunder by 1) beating it to the punch and 2) being more seasonally-themed.

I totally agree...The Grinch has been the Ralph killer...I think it's the top choice for families looking to enjoy the season...

Also, the original Ralph didn't have the rabid love that Nemo and Incredibles had...maybe it's a sign that it was loved more like Cars:)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I agree with him. Grinch, if follow Moana, will add $45mn plus till Christmas, considering $12.5mn plus this weekend.

$15mn post that won't be an issue, no matter how big it fell, especially when Holiday period is still there till New Year.

Ehhhhh....$32.5M more after this weekend, just for next week and Dec 24?  That's optimistic, knowing MP2, Aquaman, and Bumblebee, 3 family drawing openers, are also coming next week...and schools are NOT off next week, so it only draws Dec 24, a notoriously lighter day, for schools out, this year...