sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Previews - Spider-Verse $3.5M | Mortal Engines $675K

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I took Moana, Trajectory for the next 12 days.

Moana's trajectory can't be compared - Xmas was a Friday, so there were not an insignificant number of schools off that whole week...so, it had sky high weekdays that Grinch won't be able to get this week (Grinch's will be decent, but again, pretty much only colleges are out until at least after Wed, and mostly after Friday).  Without all those weekdays that act like weekends for these movies, it's not gonna see $32.5M by Xmas...

I mean, I'd see (best case)...$6M for M-Th this week, 12/21-23 weekend matching this one or slightly exceeding it at $13M, and then $3-4M each on Xmas Eve and Xmas (and probably less on Xmas b/c of the topic of this movie) for what?  $27M best case through Xmas for $267M and then a big, big falloff between Xmas and NY's (or maybe more precise to say - no big change in the weekdays from those proceeding it - this isn't getting the big bumps)...and nothing post NY's but cheap $1 theater adds...that's a rough road to $300M when a specifically Xmas film's only sitting at $240M as of Sunday...

PS - Something more on point (but Grinch will do better b/c it's still in so many theaters) is The Star - $38.594M BO on Xmas, $40.852M BO finish...these films fall off and get dropped when it's no longer the holiday...now, this is the extreme worst case scenario...but it's something to keep in mind...

Edited by TwoMisfits

26 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Nice to be back in Fort Worth, The a Favourite is playing near me and we’ll probably be getting a Beale Street.  

Pretty much means ill I’ll be able to catch all of the major awards contenders before New Years.  Well, all of them except First Man because I kind of slept on seeing that and it was out of theaters quick.

Beale Street could easily become the highest grossing film of all time for Annapurna Studio should the Oscar nomination took place

11 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eh, maybe. Lets see if it can stay fresh on Rotten Tomatoes first.

are you using Rotten Tomatoes as a measurement to determine the entertainment/boring value of a movie? because that's not what critics look for in movies and is definitely not what the RT score stand for.

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

they are both bad.

Word of mouth has been so weird this winter. Different people whose opinions I trust have variously told me Roma is clearly best pic of the year and that its mediocre. Then my wife just saw The Favourite and she had a near Mother!-grade reaction to it.

Just weird.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Favourite is looking at a great expansion.

That is debatable. Yes, the film is performing well for a period costume comedy/drama. However, its PTA this weekend will be 15% less than The Mule's PTA even though Mule is playing in 6x the number of theaters.

You could call it a good expansion but it is not a great one given the film's performance the past three weekends.

• Thanks 1

I love Cuaron although I do not love Children Of Men and Gravity. I respect and admire those films than I enjoy or like them. I however ADORE and worship A Little Princess and Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban. I really enjoy Great Expectations (though Cuaron doesn't like it :D ) and Y Tu Mama Tambien. 

I've been waiting for Roma for a while, wanting to love it. And honestly, I wasn't into it at all about 30-40 min in? (perhaps more) Was wondering "oh god, is this another one of those COM, Gravity? Am I supposed to feel anything?". And then once the film hit the forest fire scene, it just clicked for me and I was completely in. It doesn't have a story per se, it's more like witnessing a slice of life and it's super immersive between the sound design and the exquisite B&W. As Cuaron says, it's like a ghost from the present revisiting the past. It won't be for everyone obviously, but it deserves all this acclaim and those awards.

Really powerful stuff. 

13 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

That is debatable. Yes, the film is performing well for a period costume comedy/drama. However, its PTA this weekend will be 15% less than The Mule's PTA even though Mule is playing in 6x the number of theaters.

You could call it a good expansion but it is not a great one given the film's performance the past three weekends.

It just saw its theater count jump by nearly 5x and the PTA drop is looking to be less than 2/3. It’s doing great. Plus it’s gonna be all about longevity since it’s gonna be around between now and the Oscars at the end of February.

There s a reason I was thread banned from the Spidery Verse thread.

Too much truth (they call it trolling over there) revealed, people can't handle it.

I can't blame them.

Truth is harder than wishful thinking, always.

Edited by The Futurist
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Too much truth (hey call it trolling over there) revealed, people can't handle it.

I can't blame them.

What truth, you being pissed off about a superhero movie not following the same formula as always, which is possibly an epically incomprehensible thing for your brain?

Edited by MCKillswitch123

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Too much truth (they call it trolling over there) revealed, people can't handle it.

I can't blame them.

calling people sheep over and over again oh noble truth teller. and then you said it was pretty good so i guess that makes you part of the flock.