sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Previews - Spider-Verse $3.5M | Mortal Engines $675K

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

doubt this will be a movie Chinese care for. Even Homecoming didn't do amazing in China

That's because the Chinese didn't like the movie. Probably too American for them. This movie is probably too American for them too but the Douban score is giving me some hope.

BoxOfficeReport.com @BORReport

Bohemian Rhapsody grossed an estimated $20.0M internationally this weekend. International total stands at $455.5M, global total stands at $635.9M. #BohemianRhapsody #Queen #BoxOffice @20thcenturyfox @BoRhapMovie

9:16 AM - 16 Dec 2018

BR over Fantastic Beasts is 99% certain

Just now, John Marston said:
BoxOfficeReport.com @BORReport

Bohemian Rhapsody grossed an estimated $20.0M internationally this weekend. International total stands at $455.5M, global total stands at $635.9M. #BohemianRhapsody #Queen #BoxOffice @20thcenturyfox @BoRhapMovie

9:16 AM - 16 Dec 2018

BR over Fantastic Beasts is 99% certain

Pretty amazing for a movie that directed itself.

Spider-Verse deserved to do better, but it's on the road to financial profit. For the sake of the animation medium, I'm fine as long as it is a success.

The Mule did well, and I'm curious about its legs. It's a shame that this is the awards-season film, out of all the others, that's going to get the attention of the old folks.

If The Grinch manages as notable of a hold as I think it'll manage... Ugh...

Mortal Engines... 😬

I'm low-key hoping Instant Family will be able to continue with the excellent holds. I want it to be as successful as possible.

I was really thinking that The Favourite would be able to pull through and secure a spot in the top ten this weekend... at least the PTA is good.

Speaking of limited releases, Mary Queen of Scots is showing signs of strength! That's a pretty sizeable increase! And the PTA's over $10K!

Same for Beale Street in its opening weekend! I think it's always a good thing when a limited release begins their theatrical run with a PTA above $50K!

'Tis a shame about Ben is Back and Vox Lux, but it is what it is.

• Like 2

Maybe Spider-Verse was just too geeky for the GA?

Film critics and we as film nerds in particular sometimes tend to think that the GA over the last twenty years slowly gravitated towards beeing very much open to anything nowadays that was deemed too "nerdy" before the 21st century. And in many ways thats right, i dont think that anyone ine the 90s could have predicted that a film featuring Thanos, Rocked Raccon, Star Lord, a talking tree and Black Panther could gross 2B+.

But Spider-Verse to me personally is even one step further beyond into the geekdom. The comic book aesthetic, the dozens of characters, the insanely fast-paced animation...well maybe what we gush about is a bit too much for the majority of moviegoers?

Of course, i could be wrong and maybe Spider-Man has insane legs over the holidays. I certainly hope so since the film looks amazing (i havent seen it).

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

Spider-Verse:

Remainder of this week: 11.7M (47.1M Total)

Dec 21: 15.9M (23.4M weekdays, 86.4M Total)

Dec 28: 17.4M (17.2M weekdays, 121M Total)

Jan 4: 12.2M (3M weekdays, 136.2M Total)

Jan 11: 8.2M (2.2M weekdays, 146.6M Total)

Jan 18: 5.2M (2.1M weekdays, 153.9M Total)

Jan 25: 3.5M (1.2M weekdays, 158.6M Total)

Feb 1: 2.7M (900k weekdays, 162.2M Total)

Feb 8: 1.3M (500k weekdays, 164M Total)

Final Total: 168M (4.75x)

The schedule last lined up like this in 2012. Using Rise of the Guardians and Parental Guidance as comparisons for the holiday season, this feels pretty decent. The PLF losses on Tuesday and Thursday will be interesting to see play out, especially as Thursday has direct competition at 5 PM. Discount Tuesday's rise makes this much harder to predict. Christmas Tuesday increases could be 150% instead of 100%, and the following Wednesday, drops may be 25-30%. New Years could be even more severe with increases close to 100% then 60-65% drops the next day (most stuff dropped 50-55% in 2012). Glass is the only major question mark before LEGO 2 because we know this is having a pretty sizable adult share.

• Like 1

Maybe the Vox Lux premise was just too weird (and off-putting, exploitative) to ever stand a chance even with the arthouse crowd. Because that PTA points to almost complete rejection. Considering the names attached to it, and especially buzz about Portman's performance, one would have expected at least middling interest in it regardless of reviews, but that never materialized.

5 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

It’s the Muppets all over again.

Despite the immense critical praise and strong WOM, the unorthodox visual style and niche subject matter was just too much to overcome to be a really strong hit.

It's BOT all over again. No matter how off beat it looked it was a Spidey movie with a huge fan-base and it showed in the previews front-loading (and naturally some front-loading bleeds over to the following days too). Rest was perfectly good and could be set for a great run.

13.1 (+42%)

9.58 (-27%)

Edited by a2k