sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Previews - Spider-Verse $3.5M | Mortal Engines $675K

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's a Christmas movie...normally, it will appeal to a more-Christian based country.  So, it's no surprise it skied in the US, did okay in Europe and South America, and didn't compute elsewhere...it requires an understanding of a holiday (that isn't celebrated for the most part in those other countries) to even start to get a movie goer in the door...

Is doing awful in South America, the only decent number in LATAM is from Mexico and that's probably because of the voice actor of the dub 

2 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Is doing awful in South America, the only decent number in LATAM is from Mexico and that's probably because of the voice actor of the dub 

$330M WW and counting (probably on its way to $350M+) on a $75M budget probably leaves the film laughing all the way to the bank...

I mean, it's not like they had to worry about sequels or setting up a franchise with the Grinch...they just needed to roll in the dough...and they are...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

People need to calm down about Spiderverse OS and check the Grinch performance outside of Europe. Now that is a bomb if I've ever seen one, and from Illumination nonetheless

Relax, Disney fanboy. Its still going to make a very tidy profit for them...so...:shades:.

Good midnight for Spidey. Now to see if it is frontloaded or not. Terrible for Mortal Engines. There is a reason that I predicted 8.8mil. No way was I predicting a double digit opening for a film with no buzz what-so-ever after being burned by The Girl in the Spider's Web.

8 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Awesome run. And I thought my over 500 club was ballsy at the time. Goes to show the power making an incredible (no pun intended) first film can really pay off for the sequel. Pixar wasn't just trying to set up a series, they were trying to make a great movie. And that great movie stuck with the public in such a way that the second installment, coming out 14 years later, blew the first one out of the water. 

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Good midnight for Spidey. Now to see if it is frontloaded or not. Terrible for Mortal Engines. There is a reason that I predicted 8.8mil. No way was I predicting a double digit opening for a film with no buzz what-so-ever after being burned by The Girl in the Spider's Web.

That movie came out? 

Didnt even notice. 

• Haha 1

Did anyone expect Spiderverse to perform like a live action Superhero/Marvel movie overseas because I never thought it would. It doing middling business so far is not a shock. Comics are basically still cartoons, many people don't see Animated adaptions as being as special as live action adaptions. I'm not saying that it's right but it's a fact.

Rank Title(click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross Year^
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $936,662,225 2015
2 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
3 Black Panther BV $700,059,566 2018
4 Avengers: Infinity War BV $678,815,482 2018
5 Titanic Par. $659,363,944 1997^
6 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015
7 Marvel's The Avengers BV $623,357,910 2012
8 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $620,181,382 2017
9 Incredibles 2 BV $608,580,088 2018
10 The Dark Knight WB $534,858,444 2008^

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Did anyone expect Spiderverse to perform like a live action Superhero/Marvel movie overseas because I never thought it would. It doing middling business so far is not a shock. Comics are basically still cartoons, many people don't see Animated adaptions as being as special as live action adaptions. I'm not saying that it's right but it's a fact.

It depends, if the adaptation of comic book character is unknown like say Big Hero 6, or original superheroes like The Incredibles and is animated it can translate well overseas. 

Spiderverse doesn't have much to worry about cause that 90M budget will be easy to recoup even with middling OS performance. it needs 225M (90M x 2.5) to break even and that'll happen with holiday legs. It'll likely make 200M dom alone and OS will amount to at least 100M when all is said and done. This is just my pessimistic scenario. 

15 minutes ago, a2k said:

Grinch is trending much stronger than WIR2 now.

Looking at the big Thu gap they should swap on the weekend charts :

- (1) Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch $987,880 +2% 3,841   $227,709,710 35
- (3) Ralph Breaks The Internet $726,324 -11% 3,795   $144,875,878 23

Interested to see what post-holiday legs are like for Grinch. If it follows other Christmas-themed films, should drop like a rock once holidays are over. I see most people have Ralph 2 over Grinch from that weekend onwards.

9 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Pixar shouldn't release 3 films within a year of each other. OVerabundance of live-action remakes in 2019, overabundance of Pixar in 2019-20. As long as they can keep up the quality I guess... having TGD in 2015 didn't hurt Inside Out. 

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Just saw Widows and

how freaking tall Elizabeth Debicki is ?

All the other actors looked like people from the Shire next to her it was ridiculous.

The movie failed to do 50m in the US I think.

She’s 6’3. Did you like the movie? 

i have a feeling I’ll regret asking the futurist this...