Ezen Baklattan

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I found some bits slow, which in retrospect I'm grateful for, because when this punches you emotionally, it really hits. This was not a movie I expected to cry so much in.

I'm going to rewatch it again. This is the first movie in nearly ten years that could possibly be my new Favorite.

Though one might initially scoff at the fact that Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse marks the fourth separate cinematic continuity in just 16 years for the famed webslinger (with the current MCU iteration still going strong, no less), this animated take on the Spider-Man universe matches a bold premise with equally bold execution. The switch to the animated medium and the inclusion of numerous different versions of Spider-Man are presented so effectively that they don’t feel like gimmicks; rather, the whole film feels vibrant and energetic, wholly embracing nearly all the possibilities its medium and concept offer. While not directed by Lego Movie writer-directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (though both are producers and Lord is credited as a co-writer), it has both their fast-paced, witty voice and their knack for finding resonant emotional throughlines in projects that feel like they should just be branded cash-grabs. By introducing alternate Spider-Man Miles Morales and opening up the Spider-Verse with different takes on the hero, the filmmakers not only fling open a door to greater racial and gendered inclusion in the cinematic superhero canon, but they also make a compelling case for the co-existence of multiple versions of a popular character with several well-realized heroes of their own dimensions in this particular universe. Miles’s story in particular – while admittedly following expected beats to a “T” – is affecting because of how well the script and voice acting play the crucial relationships in his life; he emerges as a character whose heroic journey is very much worth rooting for, and his mentor-mentee relationship with a Peter Parker in the midst of a midlife crisis has numerous touching moments and a well-played payoff in the climax. The film has a distinct visual style that may take viewers some time to adjust to, but it looks fantastic and delivers set pieces that take full advantage of the medium by delivering fluid, engaging action sequences that would be difficult to capture even with the live action films’ gargantuan effects budgets, and there’s more than enough humor (a not-insignificant amount of which is of the meta, fourth-wall-shattering variety) to allow it to embrace its identity as a cartoon. Between Tom Holland’s stellar live action depiction of Peter Parker and the wealth of possibilities that Into the Spider-Verse introduces and explores, the Spider-Man cinematic brand is in a uniquely exciting place where it’s balancing multiple balls in the air, and this film boldly – and successfully – takes a stab at redefining what a superhero franchise can be and how far it can reach.

A-

Stray Thoughts - and a lot of 'em, so into the tag they go (also: if you're snooping around this thread without having seen the movie, go see the movie first; it's one of those movies that works best if you don't know as much about it going in):

Spoiler

- I'd gladly take a full Spider-Gwen movie Right. This. Second.

- I should have seen it coming from a mile away, but I was taken with the nifty Uncle Ben/Uncle Aaron parallel about three-quarters of the way through the film. Both the scene where he discovers that Miles is Spider-Man and his subsequent death hit hard. Leave it to Mahershala Ali to deliver a wallop even in just a vocal capacity.

- I was spoiled on Spider-Ham going in thanks to reading some professional reviews, but John Mulaney remains hilarious in the role.

- The Stan Lee cameo really got to me, as did the mid-credits dedication.

- The post-credits scene is for a very, very narrow audience, but it's funny if you even kinda-sorta get it.

- Between this film and Homecoming, it feels like Sony has learned their lesson from their cart-before-horse meddling with the Amazing Spider-Man movies and brought on filmmakers who genuinely love the mythos and want to have as much fun with it as possible. I enjoyed the hell out of the first two Sam Raimi movies, yes (and I'd still rank the second one as the best cinematic take on the character to date), but Homecoming and Into the Spider-Verse feel so dynamic and so different from the superhero movie status quo. They see the fun in the character and run with it.

- On that note, it's super-ironic that a film with seven different versions of Spider-Man and oh-so-many sequel possibilities by its end feels more fully formed and less sequel-baiting than The Amazing Spider-Man 2. And even more ironically, I think Sony has a way better shot at making its own self-contained universe from this film than they ever did with the Amazings.

How packed they achieved to be, how clear all the concept were put front and taking full advantage of how fast you can do your edit with animation.

A bit of cheating by how much of the exposition was made that way but by being so upfront about it and the movie never trying to achieve any form of realism that work.

It really kicked of for me at the scene when he draw the graffiti with is uncle and the smile never really left my face until the end, imagine how nice of an experience would it have been to watch this without having been spoiled so much by the trailers, completely blind....

• Like 1

Easily the best non-Pixar/Disney animated film since The Lego Movie and possibly the best Spider-Man in the character’s 16 years as a multiplex mainstay. Beautifully animated, immensely exciting, endlessly creative, perfectly voiced, and full of heart. Loved every single second of it. A

I'll echo the thoughts of pretty much everyone and say that I thought this was really great. Loved all the voice cast (especially Liev Schrieber) and the visual style was gorgeous. Honestly, I can't really think of anything wrong with it. 

Pine Peter's death was done really well I think; kinda relies on our collective connection with all the other Peter Parker's through pop culture but the newscasts and people's subsequent reactions to that really got to me. Effective stuff. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, YLF said:

Was there really a Spider-Man themed restaurant? I can’t find anything about it on google. People laughed at that part but like... I never heard of it. And can’t find any info on whether it existed or not.

Maybe they just laughed at the weird possibility of it. Now I wonder if they referenced the scrapped Spider-Man Anti Virus the Sony Leaks talked about or the Broadway show.

This film pretty much solidified Spider-Man as my favorite superhero.

Also,

On 12/15/2018 at 10:40 AM, cannastop said:

This is the best animated movie I've seen this year. I'd prefer it to win the Oscar over Incredibles 2.

^This

9/10

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

Best superhero movie of 2018. Hands down. Loved the eff out of this from start to finish. Just buzzing with sheer cinematic energy, creativity, excitement and artistry all around. An ode to imagination, adaptation and reconceptualization.  Speaking of which, the multi-verse concept is being cleverly used as the best rebuttal to every fanboy's tantrum that Spider-Man is this monolithic concept ever since its inception. This just brilliantly disproved that notion as you can re-imagine the character as you want as long as you stay true to the ethos of the concept. Brings up  some fresh new takes and lot of laughs in the process. (Spider-Man Noir, I recognized Nicolas Cage's voice right away and he was a riot especially when dealing with the Rubik Cube). The multi-verse aspect is also echoed by the diverse use of different animating and graphic styles that pop up the screen with a kinetic sense of color scheming.

Just missed me some alternative :hahaha:to be truly perfect all around but it's highly satisfying as it is.

Spider-Man has always been my favourite relatable superhero above them all and this movie proved me again why, brimming with fun, heart and wit.

A+

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3