Ezen Baklattan

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Saw it again and noticed a few small things,

Spoiler

Mainly with the scenes in the lab. Also for some reason I hadn't realized that the Gwen Miles meets was from another dimension because the reality-splitter had been run before.

I love it, it's actually my favorite movie now. Had to check it twice to be sure.

This made me feel like when I was a kid watching the original Spider-Man movie. Imaginative, funny, but most importantly sincere. An absolute feast for the eyes. Had one problem but I’m not sure if it’s fixable. Still, I’m certain I’ll see this quite a few more times so I feel comfortable not rating it or going in-depth now, but yes, this is very, very impressive.

(the best dumb detail about the movie is how Pine!Parker is Catholic and Johnson!Parker is Jewish... like such a random but neat thing to include for diversity even among the white-male Peter Parkers of the multiverse)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Best animated movie of 2018, best Spider Man, and one of the best superhero movies ever. 

In fact, it really shows up all the other movies in this franchise. Yeah, it's got the advantage of time, but the others are dated, generic etc. now. 

• Like 1

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is absolutely amazing, spectacular, insert Spider-Man pun here. I’m getting them out of the way early because this movie deserves better. Remarkably innovative in how it presents itself, it’s the rare animated adventure film that’s not aiming for that comedic/action equilibrium. This film is very funny, but it’s concerned first and foremost with being a superhero movie, and what a superhero movie it is. Miles Morales’ origin story feels fresh because of the more out-there plotting of alternate dimensions allowed by animation and the absolutely gorgeous art style on display here. It takes the idea of anyone could be a superhero to a logical conclusion: who said Spider-Man is limited to Peter Parker? Indeed, since Spider-Man’s inception, he has been intended to be anybody who could fit behind the mask. The Spider-Beings in this film are so varied and each of them are heroes in the purest comic book sense I’ve ever seen.

The voice cast is marvelous; Moore anchors the film well but honestly, everyone here is doing a peak performance within their voice-acting. The direction is insanely smart. I’m a huge fan of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller but I’m glad they stepped back on this one, as the action is legitimately astounding to watch and the self-referential humor never undercuts the sincerity going on here. This is Miles’ origin story before a wacky Spider-Verse movie and it never loses sight of that emotional heart. I’ve mentioned it already, but this is utterly gorgeous to watch. The melding of art styles, dropping the framerate, and the comic book color and elements on display make this easily one of the most beautiful films I’ve ever seen in theaters, and the 3D takes it to a point of being overwhelming but in a truly marvelous sense.

I could go on about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but for now, I’ll leave you with this, since I’m sure I’ll see this quite a few more times in theaters. When I was six, I saw the original Spider-Man movie by Sam Raimi, and I was enraptured by Spider-Man and wanting to be Spider-Man. I got a Spider-Man encyclopedia for Christmas and although I never read comics, I absolutely loved the character. I haven’t thought about that obsession in years, and both times I’ve watched Spider-Verse, those memories have come rushing back. This captures the joy and hope of wanting to be Spider-Man beautifully, while never losing sight of the tragedy inherent to Spider-Man’s character, the gift and the curse of great power and great responsibility. I am so, so glad this generation is going to grow up with not just Peter, but also Miles, Gwen, Porker, Noir, and Peni. We may have too many movies and reboots coming out, but we can never have too many heroes to look up to. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse revitalizes a genre through winning art direction and phenomenal classical storytelling. A truly fantastic movie, and the year’s best blockbuster. A

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blankments said:

I could go on about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but for now, I’ll leave you with this, since I’m sure I’ll see this quite a few more times in theaters. When I was six, I saw the original Spider-Man movie by Sam Raimi, and I was enraptured by Spider-Man and wanting to be Spider-Man.

I was 17 and I felt exactly the same. Watching Spider-Verse, I felt as elated as the first time I saw Spider-Man swing back in 2002 to Elfman's glorious score and had so much fun since Spider-Man 2. It's more than nostalgia since this Into Spider-Verse movie doesn't live in the past but acknowledge it (I had a rare cocktail of chuckles and chills when he cheekily evokes how he kissed MJ upside down and how he stopped a train. Raimi ❤️ Even managed to turn the reviled Spider-Man 3 dancing scene into a heartfelt memory of college freshman fooliness) to push forward for new generations to take up the mantle, as in growing up to embody their own Spider-Man and cherish it like we did. (The presence of Peter B. Parker speaks to all of us that became adult with Spidey 2002 as a cinematographic key figure. But the movie works as well for those older generations of readers who grew up with Spidey as a comics icon).

I love this movie so much for being that love letter to our friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man, every young (and young at heart) people had ever wanted to pen.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

A wholly unique cinematic experience that demands to be seen on the biggest screen necessary. Even then, the film is gloriously overwhelming as it perfectly recreates a comic book artstyle with delightful detail and cool quirks. The story distills what makes Spider-Man a timeless character, realizing that inspiration is the greatest thing a superhero can give us. More important than anything else though, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a better film on rewatch, with the emotional moments hitting harder and the story of Miles and the other Spider-People resonating as a coming-of-age/superhero story better than every recent competitor to it. Masterpiece. A+

(The Dolby experience with this was the best I had yet, with the deep blacks of Noir and Kingpin's characters along with the sheer color of the rest making visuals even more masterful, along with the intense complexity of the third act giving absolute splendor. If you have the opportunity to see it in this format, go right now. If not, this is still an absolute must-see in theaters.)

• Like 1

don't understand why America has gone so nuts over this. it's a pretty average superhero pic with some nice artwork.

far too many characters that get nothing to do and are not given any screen time. also may be just me (definitely just me) but I really couldn't connect to it.

like big hero 6 but without any of the cute baymax stuff and much more boring.

Also. Did anyone else find the fake 3D stuff extremely irritating? It detracted from the film to the point of being unable to enjoy it. I thought when the film started, that the cinema was accidentally playing the 3D version - it had the overlay/dual image that you get when you take your 3D glasses off. I went and found cinema staff to tell them it was broken but they said that how its meant to be. I couldn't enjoy the film because of this.

D

• Knock It Off 2

Very entertaining and gorgeous-looking. Also a bit too busy, I could've done with less drama (e.g. Kingpin's with his family barely registers at all) and fewer earnest motivational speeches of which there was three in a row at one point. But still easily the best superhero and animated movie of 2018.

I find it pretty shocking that I liked it this much. 

I'm so worn out by the blockbuster scene and has been such a long time since I liked one of these (animation or superhero) that I skipped it in theaters.

That was a mistake.

Points are taken for the distracting animation (can we stop with movies imitating other art forms?) and for the humor falling flat more often than not (can't complain too much tho it has far less humor than I feared it would).

8/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

”I’m so tired.”

This film wakes me up. Even when I watch it while wiped out from a long day of work, I find myself with a few tears in my eyes and a huge smile for a majority of the runtime. It’s pure magic. It distills just what we love about superheroes so precisely and with such visual and storytelling panache that it may have very well killed the genre for me. Who cares about another fun-yet-empty installment in a neverending cinematic universe when I can just rewatch this and get the mythic storytelling these modern icons deserve, with better quips and action sequences than most of the competition? Still an absolute masterpiece. A+

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, cannastop said:

This is the best animated movie I've seen this year. I'd prefer it to win the Oscar over Incredibles 2.

I guess it's hard for me to explain why I like this movie. It's perfectly crafted and funny, sure. Maybe I'm looking for something else too? I really don't know. I also greatly appreciate the 2-D aesthetics of Spider-Ham and Peni Parker.