baumer

Bumblebee (2018)

Grade it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

First Transformer is still the best TF movie imo, I do not think this will spawn nearly half the gross in sequels that TF 1 did even without adjusting for inflation and market growth.

Feel like it is a good movie for family with very young kids too.

A fun, if ultimately inconsequential, time reboot that proves Michael Bay and his obnoxious filmmaking has been the biggest liability against these movies this whole time. Finally, Transformers fights in which you can tell what is happening! The Spielbergian approach works well for the movie with tons of 80s nostalgia to be found, though its biggest strength might be yet another strong and endearing performance from Hailee Steinfeld. Also another fun turn from Jorge Lendeborg Jr. as well. Boring role for JOHN CENA though. B

Edited by filmlover

I usually don't post here but I have to comment on the light spoiler and there's no BB Spoilers thread. So, the movie was sweet but not essential viewing. You won't miss much if you catch it on Netflix. Charlie and BB were great but the movie wasn't spectacular enough to require premium admission. 

Memo was completely useless and my guess is that he was in the movie to make the audience root against romance, so when Charlie turned him down at the end, everyone cheered. He should not return in the sequel cause he just took away from Charlie/BB scenes which were what mattered and the heart of the story. 

I also thought that subplot with mom's boyfriend was unnecessary. that Charlie was grieving for her father was enough to drive the point. ditto Queen B bully. Another unnecessary addition. 

Not better than the first TF sorry for that one had spectacle and heart. this only has the latter and not much more than the first. 

I have not seen this yet. I don't really have a desire to see this. I like what Michael Bay did with Transformers and I don't really see how this is going to piqued my interest all that much.

• Like 1

Easily the best transformers movie but could have been great if they would have gone all in on the Steinfeld/Bumblebee romance and gave us some steamy Shape of Water sex scenes.

The ending was brutal, Steinfeld can’t hold the nerd kid’s hand because she’s still not over her deep love for Bee.

On 12/25/2018 at 5:23 PM, Christmas baumer said:

I have not seen this yet. I don't really have a desire to see this. I like what Michael Bay did with Transformers and I don't really see how this is going to piqued my interest all that much.

It’s good, kind of like a kinky iron giant, but not too kinky.

After getting run into the ground with Michael Bay’s progressively bigger, louder, dumber, and more incomprehensible sequels, the Transformers cinematic franchise gets a new shot of life with Bumblebee. Part-spinoff and part-prequel (and I won’t be surprised if it’s also part-reboot in the grand scheme of this series after what a poor reception The Last Knight had), Bumblebee sheds the dead weight that held the Transformers sequels down in favor of a simpler, more character-driven approach that works thanks to heartfelt writing and performances and a style that successfully mimics the whimsy of a 1980s Amblin production. It doesn’t bite off more than it can chew on a narrative level and although its third act drags somewhat, director Travis Knight (making his live action debut after helming Kubo and the Two Strings) keeps character relationships front-and-center and keeps the pyrotechnics manageable and far easier on the eye than the Bayhem for which the other films are infamous. This character-driven approach works largely thanks to Hailee Steinfeld, who forges a believable and affecting bond with the title character and delivers fully upon numerous humorous and heartfelt moments; it’s yet another impressive performance on the young actress’s growing resume. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first Bay flick (still a huge guilty pleasure of mine and a glaring anomaly in a franchise that otherwise occupies so-bad-it’s-ironically-fun territory in my book), but it’s a huge step in the right direction in terms of continuing this series on a genuinely enjoyable level rather than an ironic one. 

B

A great return to form for Transformers. The simplistic Girl and her car is a welcome return after all this nonsense like some secret society, Unicron being Earth or whatever and king arthur in the last knight. Shame it isn't doing so well at the box office. It really deserves whatever money it gets.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Honestly @Christmas baumer I would be shocked if you didn't like this. It's different from the Bay films, but it's high on 80s nostalgia. You will love it.

I'm on vacation next week.  I'll probably see it.

It's not that I think it'll be a bad film, it's just I didn't have any immediate interest in seeing it.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:18 PM, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Easily the best transformers movie but could have been great if they would have gone all in on the Steinfeld/Bumblebee romance and gave us some steamy Shape of Water sex scenes.

The ending was brutal, Steinfeld Vidmate iTunes Notepad++can’t hold the nerd kid’s hand because she’s still not over her deep love for Bee.

First Transformer is still the best TF movie imo, I do not think this will spawn nearly half the gross in sequels that TF 1 did even without adjusting for inflation and market growth.

Edited by MURILIYATSI