baumer

Aquaman (2018)

Grade it  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

After a fun stint in the messy Justice League, Aquaman gets his own movie that unfortunately never really takes off. I went into the film hopeful that James Wan’s involvement as director and Jason Momoa’s obvious enthusiasm for the title role off-camera would translate into something enjoyable, but this film is a strangely uninvolving affair that looks pretty but doesn’t register very sharply in terms of character or story. The plot is a fairly standard chase-the-MacGuffin adventure stretched out well over two hours and the character development is too hollow to make the action feel pressing or the stakes high. There are some fun moments and some one-liners that elicit chuckles, but the script is so focused on hitting perfunctory, well-trod beats that I just never felt very connected to the characters or their fuzzily-developed arcs. Jason Momoa has solid screen presence as Aquaman and he does his best with what little the script gives him, but he doesn’t get the material necessary to make the character stand out in the sea of other current screen superheroes. Amber Heard also does her best with the thankless love interest role and has decent chemistry with Momoa, but she too is left with too little to make a strong impression. The villains in the film are mostly an afterthought thanks to stiff performances from Patrick Wilson and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. To the film’s credit, the expansive CGI is impressive and Wan does a good job of staging coherent and somewhat exciting fights within these largely computer-generated settings. Unfortunately, as a whole, it’s just a non-starter that isn’t outright bad, but isn’t especially entertaining either.

C

Stray Thoughts:

- After Into the Spider-Verse, I think I'm just going to mentally substitute "The Goober" for the names of all the MacGuffins in movies I see for a while. Already did it with Mortal Engines last week and did it with the trident here tonight.

- As soon as I saw Willem Dafoe here, all I could think of was Klaus from The Life Aquatic.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Aquaman is a film that entertained me for two hours of film, visually stunning with all those colors and truly breathtaking scenes.
The city of Atlantis was very well represented as well as several sea monsters (not all successful CGI cause), l
Surprised by the character played by Nicole Kidman 😃

Cons
the story is very discounted being a film about the origins of Arthur Curry, probably because it is the classic introduction of the pg
You already knew what to expect during the whole movie. The dialogues are badly written, moreover in the first 45 minutes there are too many explanations
Villain ... between the Brother and BLack Manta I do not know who is worse.

Sorry for my Eng. 

C

another forgettable movie

• Like 1

What the hell is up with this review thread? Do you all lost your sense of joy and fun? Lol.

Aquaman is basically the bastard child of a Live-action Dragon Ball movie combined with the Aquaman comics, Avatars sense of visual scale and a WWE fight. The story is cliche, the dialogue is terrifically cheesy and the performances are kind of bad but WHATEVER. This movie is a pure joyride. 2 hours + flew by like nothing.

You just know how much fun all the people involved with this had. At no real time takes this movie itself seriously (for the better) and its world is just so god damn stunning to look at. The tone of the film reminded me of the Indiana Jones films a bit, just so damn entertaining.

And MERA hot damn. Good god.

• Like 1

Pretty fun, though the whole "you were born a king" story trope in fantasy/action/etc. movies is getting real old. 

Royalty deserve no additional reverence or respect so this kind of characterization should be consigned to history. 

I thought this was a blast. Visually great and non-stop action that was shot very well. Story was predictable but that's the case for most CBM these days. Soundtrack was great as well.

The characters and performances were fine. Black Manta was cool and better than Patrick Wilson's character but was underutilized and was mostly there for sequel set up. 

Only major negative was some of the songs they threw in there which were jarring. Didn't mesh with the rest of the soundtrack. 

7.8-7.9/10 (B+)

7/10, B+

Very straightforward, story-wise as well as in the way the action was filmed - nice deviation from many modern action movies that often suffer from bloated stories and undecipherable action. otoh, it also was quite generic but not worse than what Disney/Marvel are dishing out ervery few months. Definitely very entertaining as long as it lasts, probably not the stuff for many repeat viewings.

Aquaman heroically killing thousands and thousands of innocents in battlefield. I’m sure the kingdoms will bound to this great hero very peacefully and joyfully.

Absolutely horrendous/10

Edited by Goffe

At last saw it on DVD. I thought it was fun but not a great movie by any stretch. Wan made a non stop fun ride. Good action scenes and humor was well done. I will check out the sequel in big screen.

Any reason why Wan is taking so long to make the sequel. Should have gotten it out for 2020 Christmas or sometime in 2021.