That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

Poppins isn't making $200 million. Had the same conversation about legs with folks who kept saying legs would push TLJ to $700 mill, then just beating Titanic, then JW, then just Avengers. Called $620 million when the $21 million Monday came in and heard what people were saying. School's still in, last minute shopping, parties, travel, blah blah blah. Numbers are numbers. Speaks for itself sometimes. For MPR sake, it never had mass audience appeal. $20-$25 million 3-day Ow is abyssmal. Only major Oscar talk can help it, not just Blunt. $175-$180 milion domestic is where it may be heading.

Disney dominated the first half of the year with (drumroll) superhero films.

You forgot that Aladdin looks like complete garbage off the "First Look"  

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I'll be honest I didn't see much in the way of promotion for Poppins.   

My thoughts exactly.

Disney didn’t do a good job promoting the movie. At all.

It seems they were relying a lot on Poppins “cultural cache” which have been severely overestimated.

Reading Wednesday’s thread and this weekend thread like damn why do so many of you guys hate Mary Poppins? Because people on here over predicted it? It wouldn’t be the first movie that people over predict and it won’t be the last. But reading some of the comments you’d think the movie was bombing or something. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Reading Wednesday’s thread and this weekend thread like damn why do so many of you guys hate Mary Poppins? Because people on here over predicted it? It wouldn’t be the first movie that people over predict and it won’t be the last. But reading some of the comments you’d think the movie was bombing or something. 

but are you really surprised? 

• Thanks 1

I don't think it would be fair to make a WWW thread for Poppins, considering it will still have a very respectable total. But I'm curious as to where the discrepancy between BOT expectations and box office reality came in. I mean, we're generally pretty good at predicting box office, but the vast majority of us had this as 300+ (or even 400). 

Something like Beasts is a bit easier (it sucked). But this had the Disney promo behind it, good reviews, (supposedly) good WOM, and a Christmas release. Why wasn't it able to catch on? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

How does it compare to other Clint Eastwood films? I think it's going to have a very good run over Christmas run.

It's very much an Eastwood film, for better and for worse. Some of the acting by the minor roles is atrocious IMO, and the dialogue gets very clunky. But the film has a very Western 'flow' to it that makes it pretty enjoyable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

no one's calling it a bomb or anything it's just underperforming. it was expected to do 50M+ for the 5-day weekend and now current estimates say it'll only do like 32M 5-day. and it might lose the 2nd weekend to Bumblebee (which was pr good btw so that's nice for it?)

the WoM for MPR will probably be good (based on the people I know who saw it) so I hope it can leg out to 200M DOM.

can you imagine if Mary Poppins Returns isn't Emily Blunt's highest grossing movie of 2018 :sparta::sparta::sparta:

I hope not though:whosad:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't think it would be fair to make a WWW thread for Poppins, considering it will still have a very respectable total. But I'm curious as to where the discrepancy between BOT expectations and box office reality came in. I mean, we're generally pretty good at predicting box office, but the vast majority of us had this as 300+ (or even 400). 

Something like Beasts is a bit easier (it sucked). But this had the Disney promo behind it, good reviews, (supposedly) good WOM, and a Christmas release. Why wasn't it able to catch on? 

The nostalgia for it just wasn't there.

Is the movie frequently aired on US channels ?

Is it a rite of passage in american families like The Wizard of Oz ?

In France, Mary Poppins has no relevancy whatsoever.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

WOM seems more mixed than I anticipated. Quite a number of people have commented on it feeling formulaic and not being that great a musical to begin with (forgettable songs).