That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

So, I leave for a few hours...and damn!  There hasn't been a thread like this in a long time.  Must mean everyone's on vacation and needing to blow off steam before they have to "family"...it's actually been a breath of fresh air (not saying we need it every weekend, but holidays are made to be special!)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The Last Jedi fallout definitely added a sense of hopelessness to the atmosphere here. Before then the fanboy invasions were a lot easier to ignore until they passed, but with Star Wars it was non stop and was having real life consequences

What's been getting to me is the conspiracy-mongering surrounding every fucking thing. It's made so many threads a pain to read.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 10

The problem with these boards recently (and honestly always, but it's increased exponentially recently) is the false equivalence with box office and success. If I post something around the lines "I wish Bumblebee was doing better, I really liked it", I almost certainly would get a reply saying that the average person clearly wants more action and honestly, it wasn't that good anyway. Okay, great, but that doesn't change the fact that I liked Bumblebee and equating the GA's total response with mine is silly.

On the opposite side, if I post "I didn't like Aquaman" I'll definitely get a reply about how clearly I'm the outlier since it's doing well. Like... okay?? Cool, I'm glad other people like it. I didn't, and I like at least two other movies out right now significantly more. The single worst thing for me to read here is "this is a box office forum, not a movie forum" and I read it here almost every big release. If we don't actually respond to the movies in how we like them, what's the point of box office? And yes, following the big runs of movies I don't like is fun too, but we can still acknowledge our personal response to them besides that.

(This all mostly goes back to TLJ and how the people who liked the film would be constantly bullied into the whole "well the multiplier was terrible and audiences clearly hated it." Okay, maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but liked the film, and so I can say I thought it was good. The box office dropping worse from TFA than expected has nothing to do with personal response to TLJ, and although, of course, TLJ didn't start this attitude, it amplified it significantly.)

Tl;dr - this is basically the reasoning I've abandoned these boards for the most part outside of CAYOM these days, because the discourse around TLJ, BP, and IW were all remarkably obnoxious and judging off this weekend thread, things haven't changed much in the past six months.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

What's been getting to me is the conspiracy-mongering surrounding every fucking thing. It's made so many threads a pain to read.

Rotten Tomatoes becoming as prominent as it is has definitely led to a lot of this.  Now everyone feels the need to be validated by whatever percentage their favorite/least favorite film has, and will come up with whatever conspiracy they can to justify why the number isn't an 80% or whatever, all while proving they have no idea how Rotten Tomatoes or film criticism works.  Batman v. Superman and The Last Jedi are two great examples to show how bad it's become, but it's pretty much for any franchise film nowadays.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Blankments said:

The problem with these boards recently (and honestly always, but it's increased exponentially recently) is the false equivalence with box office and success. If I post something around the lines "I wish Bumblebee was doing better, I really liked it", I almost certainly would get a reply saying that the average person clearly wants more action and honestly, it wasn't that good anyway. Okay, great, but that doesn't change the fact that I liked Bumblebee and equating the GA's total response with mine is silly.

On the opposite side, if I post "I didn't like Aquaman" I'll definitely get a reply about how clearly I'm the outlier since it's doing well. Like... okay?? Cool, I'm glad other people like it. I didn't, and I like at least two other movies out right now significantly more. The single worst thing for me to read here is "this is a box office forum, not a movie forum" and I read it here almost every big release. If we don't actually respond to the movies in how we like them, what's the point of box office? And yes, following the big runs of movies I don't like is fun too, but we can still acknowledge our personal response to them besides that.

(This all mostly goes back to TLJ and how the people who liked the film would be constantly bullied into the whole "well the multiplier was terrible and audiences clearly hated it." Okay, maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but liked the film, and so I can say I thought it was good. The box office dropping worse from TFA than expected has nothing to do with personal response to TLJ, and although, of course, TLJ didn't start this attitude, it amplified it significantly.)

Tl;dr - this is basically the reasoning I've abandoned these boards for the most part outside of CAYOM these days, because the discourse around TLJ, BP, and IW were all remarkably obnoxious and judging off this weekend thread, things haven't changed much in the past six months.

I agree with all the points being made here but this also goes back to what Coolio mentioned of the random ass new members who just show up to support their franchise and get angry when someone posts something that isn't blind love about it

But hey, at least theae last ~10 pages were fun heh?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I agree with all the points being made here but this also goes back to what Coolio mentioned of the random ass new members who just show up to support their franchise and get angry when someone posts something that isn't blind love about it

But hey, at least theae last ~10 pages were fun heh?

You make a very good point here. This forum has gone from mostly box office fans to franchise fans who just need a home to express their fandom.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

My stance on movies has become a lot more lax this past year. I think TLJ arguments really did me in. Debating the quality of a movie isn't fun; talking about box office and awards are.

Bang on, Han.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

My stance on movies has become a lot more lax this past year. I think TLJ arguments really did me in. Debating the quality of a movie isn't fun; talking about box office and awards are.

Regardless of what the nominees look like next year I don't have high hopes around the discourse there.

Just now, cookie said:

Regardless of what the nominees look like next year I don't have high hopes around the discourse there.

Black Panther being a main contender has already brought heated discussion here. When it gets nominated, the forum is going to suuuuuuck. Expect it to take over the weekend thread tbh

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Talking about awards is the WORST. 🧐

I think for me it’s the combo of incessant hyperbole and the need to not only celebrate one movie, but tear another down.

Peace, love, and skybeams, friends. That’s all we need. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Talking about awards is the WORST. 🧐

I think for me it’s the combo of incessant hyperbole and the need to not only celebrate one movie, but tear another down.

Peace, love, and skybeams, friends. That’s all we need. 

I find arguing about one's opinion to be much more annoying and unenjoyable, but hey. Awards are fun to discuss

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Yeah outside of a few forums on here like CAYOM or the classic conversation thread, the forum has become garbage but that’s because of the rise of fanboys and the toxic behavior they bring.

• Like 1

i think all the best people here are the people who just like movies in general. in fact the majority of the people who watch movies don't think about this franchise wars nonsense. the worst posters are the ones who can't separate anyone's opinion on movies from some kind of fanboy mentality. and they'll throw around words like hater and bias because that's the only way they can interpret someone not liking what they like. it's always "you're not on my team so you must be on this other team" which is a dumb binary way of thinking. not everyone is out here treating movies and franchises like goddamn sports teams.

• Like 14