Alli

Can Johnny Depp make a comeback or is he over?

6 hours ago, excel1 said:

done before scandal, overexposure gets another one 

yep people arguing that this case was his downfall must not remember the last decade so much. His downfall began with Alice in Wonderland quickly developing a very bad reputation after its huge initial success. Tourist, Rum Diary, Dark Shadows, Lone Ranger, Transcedence, Mortdecai followed. Black Mass was hyped as the "serious" return after years of embarrasing flops and that flopped too. All these things happened before the Heard lawsuit.

Him getting axed from a big franchise is definately about his bad reputation because of the scandal, since that bad press kind of negates whatever benefit they get from his huge international fame. 

But him headlining non-existent indies is exactly where his career was heading anyway after almost a decade of huge bombs. Everyone's goodwill runs out eventually. So yeah no tears from me for Depp's current career status.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I thought he was abused by Amber, I even saw a #JusticeforJohnnyDepp hashtag in trends several days ago...why do people here keep spitting on him then? I mean, unless there are new developments I'm unaware of he is the victim...

Amber Heard proved in court that she was Johnny Depp's victim of domestic abuse. Don't believe everything you read on social media.

• Like 1

Amber Heard obviously has her own issues and these 2 were extremely toxic together. Neither one is innocent in this case but Johnny was the one suing her so...

He is probably below Mel Gibson at this point. He should just retire.

I'm sure he'll still be hanging around for a while. Hollywood does love giving out multiple chances. He'll just lay low for a bit and do some small movies, a new decade means a new opportunity to reinvent oneself. Maybe he'll pull an Adam Sandler and do something like Uncut Gems soon. I'm usually a "never say never" kind of person so who knows how things will turn out, anybody's guess.

There are comebacks and there are comebacks. Everyone thought Zellweger was a write-off but here we are. Two time Oscar winner, Something that many actresses with consistently relevant careers haven't achieved yet. So who knows what happens with Depp? I maintain that getting off FB franchise is a good thing even if it wasn't his choice. Career dead-end. 

Edited by Valonqar

The firing could be a blessing in disguise. Let's see what path he chooses. Big budget productions are obviously not in his immediate future, he will concentrate on smaller films like Matthew McConaughey did a few years ago.   Depp is a great actor, he can do everything. Someone must give him a chance. But who? Tim Burton is not who i'd advise. Does Depp have any other director friends in Hollywood? I think behind the scenes many supported him

Edited by Maggie

On 11/9/2020 at 6:10 PM, Macleod said:

He will either return in indies... or not at all.  His greatest days are clearly behind him. 

He needs to really be strict about what he picks...from anyone that will hire him.  

Oh he willl still get work..but the days of the huge paychecks are probably behind him.

I think the Heard scandle just hastened the inevitable;he was going downhill fast. Audeinces had gotten bored with his  whole "wierdo" act, and his attempts to do more serious roles have not worked.

1 minute ago, Eric Mitchell said:

Patriarchy

Mel Gibson still has a career. He'll weasel his way back.

All I'm reading here is 'OBJECTION: SEXISM'

Serious question, what would it have taken for you to think that the Washington Post article wasn't defamation?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

He won the lawsuit against Amber. How? 

Anyway, can he stage a comeback?

Only if he builds up some cred on the indie circuit again, his days as a box office superstar had already faded long before the initial allegations. A Pirates of the Caribbean 6 is the last thing his career needs for rehabilitation.