Alli

Can Johnny Depp make a comeback or is he over?

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

best case scenario for him now his is own father stu or villain in a sony marvel movie. i think the disney bridge might be burned but idk.

And i believe he said in court that he's not going back to Disny under no circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

And i believe he said in court that he's not going back to Disny under no circumstances.

Unless he needs the money, of course......and he well might the way he goes through money.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I think a Pirates 6 down the line could be massive, if they wait a little bit for nostalgia to kick back in first. 4-5 made a lot despite sucking but I think most have forgotten those and mostly recall the trilogy which were all well received by audiences. If Gore comes back and the whole original cast, then it would be massive if they can bring back that old spark to it again.

Problem is how much down the line can they wait with the original cast aging?

And I still maintain Depp is not up to carrying the film again.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem is how much down the line can they wait with the original cast aging?

And I still maintain Depp is not up to carrying the film again.

Depp's Sparrow can't carry the film, we saw that with 4-5. He needs a stronger supporting case ala Orlando and Keira. For aging, that's a trickier one, I just don't think they should rush out 6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDude391 said:

Depp's Sparrow can't carry the film, we saw that with 4-5. He needs a stronger supporting case ala Orlando and Keira. For aging, that's a trickier one, I just don't think they should rush out 6.

That is the problem: the longer you wait the worse the age factor gets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I feel like they tried with the last one five years ago to pass the torch onto a new generation of leads between Bloom/Knightley's son (the Brenton Thwaites character) and Rush's daughter (the Kaya Scodelario one) but the movie earning franchise-worst reviews and the lowest financial returns to date put that whole idea on ice. If they were to make another one at this point, I doubt either of them would be involved and it would be back to square one in trying reignite interest again.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yep and POTC is past expiration day. POTC 6 is gonna flop no matter who stars in it. The franchise is run into the ground. There's nothing more to say. They should have stoped after the third movie. It was Gore Verbinski's baby. No one else got it right. 

Not all nostalgia. Some yes some no. As already mentioned in the post above, didn't do shit for Matrix 4 and wasn't just the shadow of NWH another nostalgia but done right in the frnachise that has steam.

Pirates 5 still made nearly 800m despite bad reviews and opening one week before Wonder Woman. With 2000s nostalgia growing and Depp’s publicity at an all time high, I think Pirates 6 would beat that number 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Pirates 5 still made nearly 800m despite bad reviews and opening one week before Wonder Woman. With 2000s nostalgia growing and Depp’s publicity at an all time high, I think Pirates 6 would beat that number 

I think people are really, really, overestimating Nostalgia when it comes to tickets sold.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Maggie said:

About the case: i can't believe the jury didn't find even one instance where Depp was abusive (that's all it would have took for him to lose). Amber was in front of a judge with scars when she requested her protective order. No way i believe she painted on those scars. This jury made a huge mistake

They were unanimous and from Northern Virginia (not exactly podunk Kansas) - they 100% did not believe anything she said about abuse...

2 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

he could just pull off a nicholas cage and just star in random films to cash a paycheqye

people laught at that but he went from 150 million to zero back to 25 million 

Yes, but going theorugh 125 million so quickly is quite an acheivement.

And there is no evidence that he has changed his free spending ways.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They were unanimous and from Northern Virginia (not exactly podunk Kansas) - they 100% did not believe anything she said about abuse...

From the polls scattered around seems the court of public opinion is also in agreement with the Jury. I think AH should have picked a different set of Lawyers. 

• Like 1

I expect Depp to be able to make a comeback in a co-starring vehicle.  I also expect, now that he's won and can be rehabilitated into Hollywood, he'll spend time putting himself back in "Hollywood" mode if the paycheck is high enough.  I mean, Cruise spends money on the face, the trainer, the chef, etc...he doesn't just look that good at his age naturally (although he does have good genes that help)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I expect Depp to be able to make a comeback in a co-starring vehicle.  I also expect, now that he's won and can be rehabilitated into Hollywood, he'll spend time putting himself back in "Hollywood" mode if the paycheck is high enough.  I mean, Cruise spends money on the face, the trainer, the chef, etc...he doesn't just look that good at his age naturally (although he does have good genes that help)...

Depp isn't known for being careful with his money (which was partially why his career had taken a dive in recent years divorced from the Heard issues), so I wouldn't place bets on that.

How Did Johnny Depp Find Himself in a Financial Crisis? | Vanity Fair

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Difference is that Cruise has always been a 100x more commited actor than Depp has ever been,

49 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Difference is that Cruise has always been a 100x more commited actor than Depp has ever been,

And Cruise has never had the substance abuse problems that Depp has had.

No fan of Cruise because of his involvment with the CO$, but compared to Depp....

BTW the behavior of the Depp fans outside the courtroom today is exhbit on in why I am so disgusted on what fandom has become.

• Like 1