sfran43

Monday Numbers: Aquaman $10.95M

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

People are engaged with politics, the trailers were great, and even if it doesn't have a true A-list draw it has four big names plus a recent Oscar winner.  It makes sense it would do alright. Hoping for 50m+ and happy with more.

Also, I think I'm moving it into my Best Picture noms. The Globes didn't convince me but its shown up in alot of critics groups/precursors Best Picture noms and top tens. It's hit pretty much everywhere it needed to. Feels like a weird year in general. 

Outside of Glass, this January sucks ass. Everything should hold aight.

I really have a hard time seeing the studio getting two best picture films in one year. Especially one that don't even have great reviews. 

33 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It'll have decent WOM at the very least, and January is so barren that the Oscar contenders will be doing well. It still has a good shot at a BP nomination too because those who like it are really enjoying it and Amy Adams is probably winning Supporting Actress

thought Regina King was still predicted to win despite SAG snub. Not hearing much raves about Adams

Still holding out hope that MPR's target audience was always waiting until Xmas to start seeing it and it blows up today. Feels like some life has to be injected into the box office and even AQM doing something like 20 today would still leave the box office pretty dead for the holidays if MPR doesn't have a huge surge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

thought Regina King was still predicted to win despite SAG snub. Not hearing much raves about Adams

Regina King is sweeping the critic Awards so we have to wait and see how she does with the televised Awards. Plus she's in a stronger film by the same Studio. Amy Adams needs to start showing some muscle because up until this point she has barely want anything in her film is looking weak.

Edited by Curtis1986

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is even more impressive when the studio that own it is Annapurna , which highest grossing film of all time , was just 17m 

Technically Annapurna's highest grossing film is American Hustle, though that was when they were a production company.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

We won't know for sure until actuals, and experts here say they won't be released before Jan 2.

A (probably high) possibility, not a 100%. Just in case 😉

In the past it happened repeatedly

I highly doubt King is going to win. That SAG snub was incredibly damning for Beale Street. BAFTA isn't gonna go for it either, so it really needs PGA and/or DGA to show its strength. It can still get into Picture without those two (I'm still predicting it), but Vice is pretty solidly Annapurna's #1 even with the mixed-positive reviews.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I highly doubt King is going to win. That SAG snub was incredibly damning for Beale Street. BAFTA isn't gonna go for it either, so it really needs PGA and/or DGA to show its strength. It can still get into Picture without those two, but Vice is pretty solidly Annapurna's #1 even with the mixed-positive reviews.

I believe there is a strong backlash against the SAG snub so they will probably correct for that

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The times he has carried a film on his own (Out of the Furnace, The Promise) they were flops but his more prestigious projects tend to do well, even though Vice (like The Fighter, American Hustle, and The Big Short before it) was sold more as an ensemble.

I wouldn't say The Promise was a movie that he carried. But I do mostly agree with you. He tends to lead a lot of Indie-ish movies with mid-major distributors that don't do well like you said Out of the Furnace, Hostiles (though it was a win for Entertainment Studios), Exodus (though that was a big studio), but when he does ensemble movies where he's a large part of it they tend to do really well like The Fighter, American Hustle, The Big Short, TDK trilogy obviously, Public Enemies.

So I'd say Christian Bale is a solid, albeit not huge draw

Edited by Pinacolada

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Aquaman Warner Bros. $10,950,000 -42% 4,125 $2,655   $83,650,000 4
- (3) Bumblebee Paramount Pictures $3,750,000 -39% 3,550 $1,056   $25,360,000 4
- (4) Spider-Man: Into The Spider… Sony Pictures $3,355,000 -39% 3,813 $880   $68,090,063 11
- (6) Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch Universal $2,361,000 -21% 2,780 $849   $255,949,345 46
- (5) The Mule Warner Bros. $2,225,000 -28% 2,656 $838   $37,428,465 11
- (7) Second Act STX Entertainment $1,000,000 -46% 2,607 $384   $7,480,000 4
- (12) Welcome to Marwen Universal $488,000 -25% 1,911 $255   $2,854,560 4
- (9) Bohemian Rhapsody 20th Century Fox $470,000 -34% 1,168 $402   $185,263,006 53
- (11) The Favourite Fox Searchlight $420,000 -37% 790 $532   $10,532,263 32
- (10) Mary Queen of Scots Focus Features $391,000 -43% 795 $492   $3,972,575 18
- (15) Green Book Universal $385,000 -20% 732 $526   $27,922,076 39
- (13) Mortal Engines Universal $369,000 -37% 3,103 $119   $12,402,095 11
- (14) Creed II MGM $317,885 -37% 1,127 $282   $109,051,284 34
- (-) Fantastic Beasts: The Crime… Warner Bros. $225,000 -31% 682 $330   $154,719,713 39
- (-) Instant Family Paramount Pictures $170,000 -22% 744 $228   $62,659,066 39
- (-) Once Upon a Deadpool 20th Century Fox $155,000 -44% 1,428 $109   $324,410,896 221
- (-) A Star is Born Warner Bros. $70,000 -44% 262 $267   $200,136,727 81
- (-) If Beale Street Could Talk Annapurna Pictures $23,979 -27% 5 $4,796   $446,391 11
- (-) Boy Erased Focus Features $3,000 -60% 47 $64   $6,730,612 53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, I don't get these posts...

Shouldn't every supers fan want every supers movie to keep outgrossing the last, so we can keep getting awesome supers movies?  I mean, I LOVE Homecoming, but I hope every supers movie after it always goes over its gross, so I can keep getting supers movies and EVENTUALLY get my NIGHTWING vs DEATHSTROKE movie!:)  Yes, Teen Titans Go To The Movies almost scratched the itch for this concept, but now I want it live action and gritty, after getting my light and funny take:)...

So, bring on "super" grosses for all of them!:)  (Sorry those who are sick of supers - I also want all the "premier" concepts to go over Homecoming's BO, too, but those are a little harder to wish on:)...

I agree with you. The better superhero movies do, the higher the chance of me getting my favorite DC character (Blue Beetle) on the big screen is. Plus I need a Teen Titans or Young Justice movie in my lifetime!

• Like 1

SAG snubbed King and if BAFTA snubs Adams, there's a path for Weisz winning support actress i.e. 2007:

GG - Blanchett (King - critics favorite)

SAG - Ruby Dee (Adams - overdue veteran)

BAFTA - Swinton (Weisz)

Oscar - Swinton (Weisz)

Edited by Hejira

18 minutes ago, El Gato said:

I agree with you. The better superhero movies do, the higher the chance of me getting my favorite DC character (Blue Beetle) on the big screen is. Plus I need a Teen Titans or Young Justice movie in my lifetime!

Isn't Blue Beetle in development? I think WB will definitely go ahead with it, as they will recognise the potential of second and third tier heroes, especially ones that appeal to minorities, while they let Batman and Superman cool off, before bringing them back and building towards a proper, bigger and far better Justice League type crossover... 

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Isn't Blue Beetle in development? I think WB will definitely go ahead with it, as they will recognise the potential of second and third tier heroes, especially ones that appeal to minorities, while they let Batman and Superman cool off, before bringing them back and building towards a proper, bigger and far better Justice League type crossover... 

Blue Beetle also has the passing the baton element if they have Ted Kord in the movie. 

I imagine Batman will be back within the next few years, it's WB's biggest IP. 

29 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah. It's currently in development. I think it has a high chance of happening, especially with the whole "first Latino led superhero film" publicity going for it. Plus his armor would look so amazing on the big screen!

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol, Vice's audience score is 41%. I'm sure there's quite a few conservative trolls downvoting it, so I wouldn't read into it. Holmes is at 63% with over 500 votes tho.

Indeed, Vice up to 60% already.

Holmes... might be in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1