Eric Atreides

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

12 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

October 10

The Goldfinch: Warner Bros seems to be priming this as their fall awards contender. John Crowley is a strong director, and the cast is pretty solid (even Ansolo). Plus, Roger Deakins is always a good sign. This doesn’t immediately scream a hit like Woman in the Window or A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, but it will definitely put up a good total if the quality is there. 15/75 (5x)

very disappointed in you @WrathOfHan

22 hours ago, Alli said:

The Fault and Baby driver were big hits for him considering his age. Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise can't take a movie to Over 100M these days.  Ansel did it. And working with Spielberg next. He's got the looks , the box office and the movies were a hit with  critics too.

To be fair, neither Pitt or Cruise have made as big of a flop as the Billionaire Boys Club 

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

12 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

October 4

Gemini Man: I imagine this moves to a new date because Joker is going to be gigantic, so this prediction is assuming a release date change. Ang Lee always puts out interesting movies and has released some big adult hits including Life of Pi, Brokeback Mountain, and Sense and Sensibility. Gemini Man is a new step for Lee into the sci-fi genre, and Will Smith is headlining this. That combo alone sounds pretty dynamite, and the plot has a lot of potential. If this is up there with Lee’s more acclaimed films, I have no doubt this will be a massive hit. 40/160 (4x)

Joker: From the moment Joaquin’s first photo dropped, I knew this would break out big time. This movie seemed like a (wait for it) joke when it was first announced. “A movie unrelated to the DCEU? What the hell is WB doing?” we all thought. Oh how little we knew. Even if this is heavily inspired by The King of Comedy, it is a gigantic new direction for the comic book movie genre. This movie would have to suck hard to miss 200M, and if this is something special, it could be MASSIVE. Let’s assume it is something special. 130/360 (3x)

The Woman in the Window: YES, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS REAR WINDOW REMAKE WITH AMY ADAMS IN THE GRACE KELLY ROLE AND JAMES STEWART ROLE!!!!!11!!!!!!111!1!!! Ahem. Sorry. I let my inner dudalb out. Anyways, The Woman in the Window has a cast headlined by Amy Adams with Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore, Brian Tyree Henry, Wyatt Russell, and Anthony Mackie. Joe Wright and Tracy Letts behind the scenes sound like a pretty killer combo too. If this has Oscar buzz, I can see it getting close to the mid-100s if everything goes right. However, competition this month is pretty big, and I think all the adult dramas will limit each other’s potential. 25/100 (4x)

Finally a great movie from Dc 😎

November 1

Arctic Dogs: The director of Spark: A Space Tail? The animation studio behind Norm of the North? A voice cast with a whole bunch of B-list celebrities who clearly needed a paycheck? Oh Entertainment Studios. You really are the gift that keeps on giving. This won’t even reach Free Birds numbers, especially with Sonic a week later and the impending Death Star that is Frozen 2. 10/30 (3x)

Charlie’s Angels: This new interpretation has Elizabeth Banks as a director, trying to recreate the success of Pitch Perfect 2. But it’s hard to say if there’s any excitement. There’s been a lot of debate on the casting decisions, and the lack of real starpower for a blockbuster like this. And while I’m not going to say that’s not a huge problem, perhaps the biggest issue is that the brand doesn’t seem to have much pull. The first Charlie’s Angels back in 2000 adjusts to over 212.2M, with the sequel at 152.8M. But I don’t think anyone really considers either of these movies as classics, and even people who did like these movies like it more for McG’s cheese and the actresses than the brand itself. This seems to be going more gritty, and at most we'll get a Lucy Liu cameo.

I dunno. I think it will just barely pass the century mark considering how barren November is apart from Frozen. But it wouldn’t surprise me if this turns out to be a dud. 35/100 (2.86x)

Terminator 6: I know I’m going to sound like an annoying Cameron fanboy for doing this, but I feel we’re all underestimating this movie’s potential. Yes, even after Genisys. The one thing that I feel will help it is Linda Hamilton returning. There were many articles published after Halloween’s success about the film and its similarities with this new Terminator. Not only is the movie disregarding all of the sequels no one likes or cares about, but it’s bringing back the old heroine, as well as James Cameron as a producer. Having Linda Hamilton on board excites fans of the property and ensures that the project is in good hands to these people, while simplifying the backstory makes it easier for new audiences to jump into the movie and not be lost.

I don’t expect massive numbers, but above Genisys and the century mark is very possible. 45/110 (2.44x)

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 5

November 8

Midway: This movie will be to Dunkirk as Pearl Harbor was to Titanic. I think even a few of even the most die-hard Emmerich fans will admit that drama is not one of his strong suits, and while he might offer decent wartime spectacle in this movie, I don’t think that will be enough. 2012 was his last major hit, and it’s arguable that it’s the Mayan apocalypse was what sold audiences, not Emmerich. He just seems like yesterday’s news to me, and there’s already so many better stuff out there for adults. 25/80 (3.2x)

Sonic the Hedgehog: I know we’re all memeing this movie up, and the teaser posters make Sonic look like a monster freak, but to be honest, I think this will probably be a hit. Even after so many bad games, the Sonic series, while not at its peak as it once was, is still popular, recognizable, and well-liked to both kids and gross weirdo furries. Both demographics did help Zootopia reach $1B after all. It’s also an alternative movie from Frozen for a lot of boys, and I’m sure the actual final design probably won’t be that creepy. Just need some good trailers that make the movie seem fun, and this will probably be Paramount’s biggest movie this year. Crazy to think that furries are going to turn the tides around for video game movies and make them a viable genre. My people win again. 50/160 (3.2x)

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

November 15

The Good Liar: Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren? Is 99% of the audience gonna be over 70 years old or what? I would say this could get benefits from awards season, but...it’s Bill Condon. Either way, this should see mild success I guess. 15/60 (4x)

Last Christmas: Paul Feig’s version of Love Actually? Yeah sure. It has an appealing cast, with Emilia Clarke, and both Henry Golding and Michelle Yeoh fresh off Crazy Rich Asians. Meanwhile, it’ll have the Christmas season to help its legs, alongside the usual qualities of Feig productions. Not a monster hit, but it will have its audience and be a consistent money-maker from now until Christmas. 20/100 (5x)

Kingsman 3/The Great Game/Whatever: I still have no idea if this is the Golden Circle follow-up, or the prequel movie. Either way, I’m expecting a drop-off. The Golden Circle damaged a lot of the franchise’s goodwill, and it just seems like any hype for this next one is being left with a shrug, especially with Taron Egerton reportedly not in this installment. And with the Disney-Fox already finished at this point, will Disney even care about this, considering what's to come in a week? 30/80 (2.67x)

Also Margie Claus isn't a thing that's coming out. This was pushed in favor of Superintelligence next month.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 3

November 22

Frozen 2: Anyone who says Frozen 2 will decrease from the first one is kidding themselves. Don’t give me that “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure killed Frozen” or “Frozen’s too over-exposed” BS. While this won’t have the same legs, especially with Star Wars next month, it’s going to have such a huge opening that it won’t matter. The first Frozen still has a strong presence in kids media and pop culture (I work in retail. Trust me), and iconic animated movies often see an increase with their sequels, especially if there’s a long gap, regardless of the follow-up’s reception. Shrek 2, Despicable Me 2, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2. All saw massive jumps from their predecessors, all of which are seen as iconic, or at least exceedingly profitable. I don’t have the jump that high, but the precedent is there, especially with about six years of ticket price inflation.

The movie’s also benefiting from Thanksgiving as its second weekend, ensuring a good hold, and a completely barren month. Even as someone who’s more confident in Terminator and Sonic than most, the lack of Wonder Woman and James Bond is really felt with how mediocre this month’s offerings are. It only further helps Frozen 2 as the event of the season, especially since, apart from Sonic, Abominable will be the last major family release until this comes out, and there’s nothing major out until Jumanji three weeks later.

Add in some catchy songs, pretty dresses, and a possible romance (#GiveElsaAGirlfriend), and this will explode. I’m admittedly hesitant on this beating Catching Fire’s opening, but hey, this is the controversial prediction thread, is it not? Be afraid. Queen Elsa’s coming with a vengeance. 165/475 (2.88x)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

November 29

Knives Out: Rian Johnson is back with the greatest ensemble cast in history with a solid adult counterprogram with Frozen 2. I don’t think this will be that big of a hit, but a modest success either way. Maybe it’ll change with the marketing, but I can see a scenario where it’s more hyped up by the Internet than from general audiences. Whether or not that will lead to more fuel for obnoxious fuckwads on this site who won't shut the hell up about The Last Jedi is debatable (oh what am I saying? The slightest indication this will underperform will make these assholes be stupid twats.) 20/28/70 (3.5x, 2.5x)

Queen & Slim: Daniel Kaluuya is the star and Lena Waithe is the writer. What kind of black excellence is this? Like Knives Out, the creative team is very promising, while the plot seems really compelling. Also like Knives Out, this is serving as adult counterprogramming with Frozen 2. And again, like Knives Out, this will be more of a modest success than anything huge. Admittedly, I could see a scenario where KO is more commercial than Q&S, so I’m just going to assume this will make slightly less, though still be a decent performer either way. 20/25/70 (3.5x, 2.8x)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

November 29

Knives Out: Rian Johnson is back with the greatest ensemble cast in history with a solid adult counterprogram with Frozen 2. I don’t think this will be that big of a hit, but a modest success either way. Maybe it’ll change with the marketing, but I can see a scenario where it’s more hyped up by the Internet than from general audiences. Whether or not that will lead to more fuel for obnoxious fuckwads on this site who won't shut the hell up about The Last Jedi is debatable (oh what am I saying? The slightest indication this will underperform will make these assholes be stupid twats.) 20/28/70 (3.5x, 2.5x)

Queen & Slim: Daniel Kaluuya is the star and Lena Waithe is the writer. What kind of black excellence is this? Like Knives Out, the creative team is very promising, while the plot seems really compelling. Also like Knives Out, this is serving as adult counterprogramming with Frozen 2. And again, like Knives Out, this will be more of a modest success than anything huge. Admittedly, I could see a scenario where KO is more commercial than Q&S, so I’m just going to assume this will make slightly less, though still be a decent performer either way. 20/25/70 (3.5x, 2.8x)

All the clapping gifs.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Terminator 6: I know I’m going to sound like an annoying Cameron fanboy for doing this, but I feel we’re all underestimating this movie’s potential. Yes, even after Genisys. The one thing that I feel will help it is Linda Hamilton returning. There were many articles published after Halloween’s success about the film and its similarities with this new Terminator. Not only is the movie disregarding all of the sequels no one likes or cares about, but it’s bringing back the old heroine, as well as James Cameron as a producer. Having Linda Hamilton on board excites fans of the property and ensures that the project is in good hands to these people, while simplifying the backstory makes it easier for new audiences to jump into the movie and not be lost.

I feel like many of the same things were said about Genisys: "Arnold's back", "it's disregarding the previous movies except maybe the first two", "it has James Cameron's blessing" etc.

Until the movie either turns out good or at least gets a very strong trailer I have very low expectations.

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sorry about the lack of November predictions from me. I was extremely busy packing yesterday and move today, so they’ll be out later today.

But what about Bumblebee?

• Disbelief 1

November 1

Arctic Dogs: This was originally scheduled to be coming out against Glass in two weeks but got moved here a month or two ago. The film has already been released overseas, so this may be the biggest OS/DOM release gap we’ve had since Leap! If this was a January/February dump like Rock Dog, maybe it’d do decent-ish, but nah. 5/12.5 (2.5x)

Charlie’s Angels: Does anyone still care about Charlie’s Angels? The reboot on ABC in 2011 bombed horrendously and was pulled before it even aired all its episodes. Unless the trailer is a smash hit, I think this is going to be another bomb. 15/40 (2.67x)

Terminator: ……..blech. Who knows if this will actually be worth a damn. Linda Hamilton is back, so I guess that’s good. Idk. Until a trailer is out, it is hard to see where this could land after GenitalsGenisys landed with a thud critically. The nearly 90M gross did show that audiences at least somewhat care ahout the franchise still, but another bad movie will not bring in those numbers. We’ll see. 20/50 (2.5x)

• Like 2

November 8

Midway: Roland Emmerich’s Dunkirk? Oh boy. Say what you will about Emmerich’s skill, but the man can bring in audiences. Unless this has WOM on the level of ID:R, this should at least hit 70M like White House Down did. Anything higher will depend on how the film is marketed, but this is for sure a 100M contender. 30/80 (2.67x)

Sonic the Hedgehog: Oh yes. When a movie is able to get people buzzing and debating over a silhouette and LEGS, something is going right with marketing. Now, that won’t necessarily translate to a gigantic box office gross, but interest this far out is a great sign. Given this releases right before Thanksgiving, I can’t see it going under 100M even if the film is horrendous. If this is good, 200M is on the table. Let’s assume the quality is somewhere between that. 50/175 (3.5x)

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

If Sonic is good, $200M may happen. If 3manji doesn’t make it, if I were Paramount I’d move it next to IX, as it could pull a Jumanji.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord