Premium George

Thursday numbers I AM 14.5, MPR 10.2, BB/SMSV 5.8 I BY ASGUARD

Love that the Mule is just steadily grossing $$. Will hit a 3x this weekend and still have a ways to go. Might not hit 100m but 85-90m seems almost assured. 

Good holds relatively speaking for the Top 5. Poppins should cross 100m and AQM will be nearing 200m. 

As a reminder the Friday increases should be small. Somewhere between 5-20% with an occasional outlier based on past calendar configurations. Nice 5 days of money making ahead yet! 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Those who claims it will be a smash (including me) definitely overpredict it but those who claims it’s a bomb because of the debut obviously overreact, deny this is nonsense. It’s not going to do the huge numbers people expect from it, but the movie will still be a success and this is obvious now, so it’s not going to be the disaster people say it will after the debut too.

Well the run is not over yet. Something like 450m would not be that good for Disney 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Mary Poppins will be at around $120M on New Year’s Day and will have no problem coming up with at least another $80M over the rest of its run to cross $200M so even if it won’t reach the highest of expectations, all that panic button pressing was for nothing (as usual). Everything seems to be rebounding now that the holiday legs are in full swing. Imagine that drops will be good for everything next weekend too given that there’s only one new release (and it’s a lame-looking PG-13 horror movie to boot).

Into The Woods with a B cinemascore and terrible WOM made $ 56M after new year’s day.

I think MPR could finish with $ 220-230M dom if reachs $ 120M by january 1st. 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Well the run is not over yet. Something like 450m would not be that good for Disney 

Considerings its way more than 2.5x its budget I dont see a reason for concern. MPR was never going to be big OS outside of a handful of territories. If you were expecting more than 600m WW (400/200) then obviously you were set for disappointment. As it stands from returns OS looks to be doing just fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Those who claims it will be a smash (including me) definitely overpredict it but those who claims it’s a bomb because of the debut obviously overreact, deny this is nonsense. It’s not going to do the huge numbers people expect from it, but the movie will still be a success and this is obvious now, so it’s not going to be the disaster people say it will after the debut too.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yes it would. 130m budget and a large share of the gross is coming from DOM, which makes it far easier for them to profit then if it did 450 WW with a big OS share.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Love that the Mule is just steadily grossing $$. Will hit a 3x this weekend and still have a ways to go. Might not hit 100m but 85-90m seems almost assured. 

Good holds relatively speaking for the Top 5. Poppins should cross 100m and AQM will be nearing 200m. 

As a reminder the Friday increases should be small. Somewhere between 5-20% with an occasional outlier based on past calendar configurations. Nice 5 days of money making ahead yet! 

All movies should make about 6x their Thursday take over the next 5 days based on previous year trends. Will turn out to be a pretty good holiday season in the end thanks to the 12 day holiday stretch after OW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really hate this attitude of "People had higher expectations, so its gross is automatically disappointing."

As the guy who did the 400M club for Poppins, I didn't think it was definitely going to do it no matter what. It seemed like a longshot, where everything had to go right. But it's still one of the highest-grossing musicals ever, is seeing great legs and word of mouth, and will be profitable in the end. Could it have done better? Sure. But we shouldn't disparage a $200M+ grosser because of a couple overambitious predictions.

People here thought Deadpool 2 was going to increase from its predecessor and make over $150M on its OW. It didn't. But are we really going to argue that it didn't have an impressive run either way?

People were also spouting that Aquaman would cross $400M and be a mini-Jurassic World. That doesn't seem like it's happening either, yet y'all are silent and aren't talking about people overestimating it. HMMMMMMMMM.

• Like 17
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

All movies should make about 6x their Thursday take over the next 5 days based on previous year trends. Will turn out to be a pretty good holiday season in the end thanks to the 12 day holiday stretch after OW.

Yeah. Christmas on a Friday or Monday is good for the Box office. But I have always preferred the middle of the week ones cause more people take extra time off, etc. The grosses are spread a bit more than when its concentrated into 3 or 4 day traditional weekends. 

If MPR makes $450M+ WW, that would be over 3x its budget. Since when does a movie making 3x its budget means it’s a failure? Oh I forgot. Once BOT deems a movie a failure, it’ll carry that failure label regardless of what the numbers say. 

Edited by Nova