The Panda

The Fifth Annual Bamboo Awards: The Panda’s Favorites of 2018

Before I give my top 2, here are some pieces of art from other mediums that I really enjoyed this year and wanted to give mention (as I did in previous years).  Won't rank these or do anything to custom, as this is more of a side-note to give some love to other forms of art, but I will give a winner.

Bamboo Stick Winner

The Most Beautiful Thing I've Seen by Lisa Gungor

Personal Thoughs

I will say a few things about this one, simply because I picked it as the winner, also because if I would have picked the overall most effecting piece of art on me personally thing year (including movies) it would have been this book.  It's not the most well-crafted novel, although it does read like a poetic song, but it's deeply moving.  It's a memoir about the fall, deconstruction and rebuilding of a faith.  It demonstrates how perspectives shift, it shows how evangelical community works with empathy, while also demonstrating some of the vileness that can come from that same community when a member doubts and moves away from the rigid belief system.  I don't keep many of the books I read, simply because I don't have the room to, but I'll most definitely be keeping this one.  It's a beautiful memoir from a great artist.

Honorable Mentions

Suite No. 1 Oh Dreamer by The Brilliance

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 3b and 4a

The Good Place Season 2b and 3a

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 6

Number 2

2CeOBVs.png

User Opinions

"This movie is gooooooooooooooooood 

#bringbacktheromcom2018" - @Ethan Hunt

"When Rachael’s mom showed up in Singapore I fucking lost it with the water works. I reached out and sweezed my mom’s hand.

This was really amazing." - @captainwondyful

"Finally watched this and loved it! I was surprised about how much was kept the same as the book. The acting and chemistry between the cast was great. It’s one of those rom coms that can be watched over and over again. Glad it’s doing so well! Well deserved!" - @Deja23

"FINALLY saw this, and boy, I was GAGGED. Truly iconic and stellar.

By far one of my favorites of the year, it was such a funny and heart-warming film that I hope audiences continue to leave their habitat for.

Tired of the whites owning everything, give the others support!" - @Claire of Themyscira

Critic Opinions

"Crazy Rich Asians isn’t a full on middle finger to the frequent dross of Western rom-coms. Nor is it a film stuck so within the constraints of its own cultural context that you’ll find yourself scrambling to empathise with the lovey-dovey leads. Jon Chu’s vibrant spectacular is a gorgeous reframing of a tale we’ve all seen before, with enough self-aware jabs without being overly satirical, subversive without being an off-putting novelty. The way he blends in (and by happenstance, educates us on) Asian culture so seamlessly through the movie is a testament to his talents as a storyteller; the end result here is one of the best films this year.

As the tomfoolery, bitchiness and comebacks escalate, the film comes full circle in its show-stopping, breathtaking highlight; the wedding. Beaming brightly with Asian culture (as does the rest of the film), stunningly crafted through faithful set design, and shot with a poetic rhythm and visual beauty. Kina Grannis’ cover of ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love’ accompanies, adding a deftly emotional edge to an already tear-jerking moment. Let the goosebumps and tears rush over you as you relish in what could be one of the most awe-inspiring moments in a rom-com you’ll ever see. This is a film that excels in a crowded genre, furthers knowledge of Asian culture in an endearing, naturalistic way, makes interesting comments about high-society relationships, is really well-written (with the exception of one creepy bedroom gag), and even when using a playbook filled with typical tropes, feels like a refreshing triumph."  - Cameron Frew

hero_Crazy-Rich-Asians-2018.jpg

"They have always existed — the Asians who indulge, with looks fitting for a life-long GQ photoshoot, live in homes that turn 90210 into random digits and have pockets deep enough to buy deeper pockets — but it’s their foil that has the higher profile. You know, the Asians who tirelessly work or study, know a kick or two, low in physical appeal, Airbnb-rized their cultural attributes, and don’t mind being evergreen sponges for is-that-even humor? You know, the usual Asians whose presence ironically contributes to this ethnic-specific drought? This is a picture in need of an update, and what Crazy Rich Asians brings is exactly that, even if the patch notes can be summed up as “new hand” more than “reinvented game.”

The cards won’t underwhelm, however. Taking what NYU economics professor Rachel Chu (Constance Wu, both tender and sharp) advises to her game theory class to heart, director Jon M. Chu and company adapt Kevin Kwan’s bestseller, which is loosely based on the author’s charmed upbringing, with the winner mentality. Every move everyone makes, as a result, is an attention-getter, all designed to inspirit the inner tourist, foodie, interior designer and fashionista. It seems fair to warn that the film shouldn’t be seen on an empty stomach or after an itinerary-less month, unless you find it all right to have the renowned street eats of Singapore and handmade dumplings make you misbehave, or have the beaches and architectural marvels rouse the wanderlust bug. By default, d.p. Vanja Cernjul and editor Myron Kerstein like to gaze and not peek at all the tasty exhibits. Traveling does wonders, and so a major thank-you should be given to Rachel’s beau Nick Young (Henry Golding, with an infectious smile) for suggesting a journey farther east than Queens — his childhood friend is about to become a husband and has asked Nick to be the best man — and authoring a wondrous, eye-opening and mind-broadening travel zine." - Nguyen Le

Personal Reasoning

If Set it Up were the typical rom-com done right, Crazy Rich Asians twists a few classic rom-com elements to create something entirely fresh and exciting.  Being a young Economics student, aspiring professor, I could fully relate to Constance Wu, playing a young Economics professor, she even specializes in Game Theory (my favorite part of Economics)!  I swear I didn't just love this movie because they portrayed an economist in a positive, fun light and with a personality.  The film is grand in how it's crafted, it turns the rom-com genre into a fun spectacle, while juicing up the plot with some good ol' mama drama.  The whole cast is great, while Michelle Yeoh is a standout, Constance Wu, Henry Golding and Awkwafina are all standouts as well.  The film had more laugh out loud moments than anything else I saw this year, it's full of culture and it makes great use of its creative soundtrack (found Katherine Ho's Yellow rendition amusing and great).  It's an all around excellent, wholesome film that anyone can pick up and enjoy.

cra-02901.jpg?w=1000

• Like 5

Number 1

9JD6OZX.png

User Opinions

"Blindspotting  was terrific" - @DAR

"How come no one has mentionedBlindspotting  in here yet? I thought it was terrific, a much better look at race than certain recent lauded movies. That little rap at the end a bit too much, tho. Still, one of my favorites of the year." - @Goffe

"Gonna jump on theBlindspotting  support train. Absolutely brilliant movie" - @WrathOfHan

Critic Opinions

"I don’t think I have ever watched a movie quite like this and hopefully it won’t be the last time. Everyone needs to see this movie, preferably with someone, because there is a lot to unpack and discuss.  Blindspotting, the feature film debut from director Carlos López Estrada has a lot to say. In just a little over ninety minutes, it manages to present a copious amount of thoughts regarding race, class, violence, and the stereotypes that our society perpetuates. The amount of subject matters that this flick raises, and the way in which it was crafted, tells me that its writers, Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal, whom also star, have had these messages on their mind for a while. When watching the film, it felt as if this story had been bottled up inside Diggs and Casal, because it simply explodes on screen and it is hard not to feel its effects.

Something I feel this movie points out so well, is that as a society we spend a lot of time passing judgment based on an outward appearance. Whether it is the color of their skin, the clothes they are wearing or the way in which they style their hair.  It takes a lot of effort to get to truly know someone. We live in an era now, in which a simple swipe to the right or left will decide whether you are destined to meet. How does one decide about a person if they have not even spoken a single word to them? There was a great example of this in the film. In which Miles and Colin attended a house party. A black man encountered Miles in the kitchen and immediately made assumptions about Miles due to his teeth plate and manner of speaking. Due to this and the issues of gentrification within Oakland, he referred to Miles as a “culture vulture”, not realizing that Miles had spent his entire life in the neighborhood. Simply because he was white, didn’t mean that he was not from Oakland. It was so great, to see this played out in this way. It shows that no one is immune to stereotyping.  This film may have some comedic moments, when it comes to the interactions between Collin and Miles, but it is by no means a comedy. It is more than that. It is a much-needed moving story that is giving us a commentary on the world in which we find ourselves. More films need to be made like this to help us understand one another.  For some people, they are not given a choice. Instead, the way in which they live their lives is chosen for them by others. Go watch this movie and then let’s talk about it." - Rosalie Kicks

blindspotting-sundance.jpg?w=1000

"When I was young, my father explained the “rules” to me. The “rules,” is a talk that every black father has with their son. They mostly consist of what to do around cops, how you “should” act around whites, and what neighborhoods not to go to. And when I say what neighborhoods not to go to, I don’t mean the gang riddled ones. I mean the affluent ones, where a black kid sticks out like a hoodie and some skittles in broad daylight.  Blindspotting is a new explanation of the “rules.” Except those “rules” aren’t new lessons directed to us, they’re to teach those who have never been us. That is, Blindspotting is the freshest commentary on race relations since Black Lives Matter, and in a film sense, since Do the Right Thing.

Diggs’s freestyling is also accompanied by Casal, who in one of the more stylistically gaudy scenes is a prosecutor rapping in front of an all black jury who are chained with Colin to the justice system. Seeped in red, the sequence is a music video placed within a film. Narratively and stylistically it’s a brilliant fever dream.  And as the film builds to an ending that is at once cathartic and a bit of wish fulfillment, when Colin confronts the officer who shot that black man in the middle of the street, we are also held within the same fear. We are also privy to this exorcism of demons, an exorcism of black anger born from 500 years of grief. This cleansing is done in conjunction with a separate storyline involving Sean (Ziggy Baitinger), Miles’s son, as he’s also passed down those same rules by his black mother, Ashley (Jasmine Cephas Jones). Sean is taught to put up his hands and say, “Don’t shoot!” And even though Blindspotting hands us that moment of pure catharsis, it’s done knowing that it’s just a moment. Racism didn’t end because Colin confronted a police officer. It still continues today, still continues even after the three days of parole, and continues for this generation and the next generation. Blindspotting has its cake and eats it too, which isn’t a bad thing when the cake has been kept from you!" - Robert Daniels

Personal Reasoning

I thought about this one, I could have gone with the most fun I had with a movie this year and felt perfectly fine putting Crazy Rich Asians or Spider-Verse as my number one.  But there was something gut-punching about this movie, as if it's able to stab into some truth and say something new about race relations that hasn't been put onto screen before.  I was captivated by this movie from start to finish, you can feel the danger when Collin has to carry the gun, when the officer rolls down the highway.  The film feels like reality until it blurs into nightmarish episodes, all highlighting the fear someone may have by existing while black.  All of the performances are fantastic, even the smaller cameo like roles, such as Ethan Embry, completely nail their screentime.  At the center of the movie is Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal who's duo dynamic blew me away.  The film is intelligent and never wastes a moment of its relatively short runtime.  Even aspects of the film that should be silly, like the freestyle rap at the end, turn into emotional climaxes of the film and never break the suspension of disbelief.  Blindspotting is a perfect film.

?format=2500w

• Like 10

Here's the full list!

BEST PICTURE

1. Blindspotting
  2. Crazy Rich Asians
  3. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  4. If Beale Street Could Talk
  5. Roma
  6. Black Panther
  7. Eighth Grade
  8. Annihilation
  9. The Favourite
  10. BlacKkKlansman
  11. A Star is Born
  12. Hereditary
  13. Avengers: Infinity War
  14. Sorry to Bother You
  15. First Reformed
  16. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
  17. Set It Up
  18. Leave No Trace
  19. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
  20. Incredibles 2
  21. Mary Poppins Returns
  22. Widows
  23. Private Life
  24. Death of Stalin
  25. Paddington 2

DIRECTOR

1. Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
  2. Carlos Lopez Estrada, Blindspotting
  3. Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk
  4. Ryan Coogler, Black Panther
  5. Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
  6. Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite

ENSEMBLE

1. Crazy Rich Asians
  2. Blindspotting
  3. Black Panther
  4. If Beale Street Could Talk
  5. The Death of Stalin
  6. BlacKkKlansman

ACTRESS

1. Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade
  2. Toni Colette, Hereditary
  3. Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
  4. Olivia Colman, The Favourite
  5. KiKi Layne, If Beale Street Could Talk
  6. Lady Gaga, A Star is Born

ACTOR

1. Daveed Diggs, Blindspotting
  2. Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
  3. Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
  4. John David Washington, BlacKkKlansman
  5. Christain Bale, Vice
  6. Lakeith Stanfield, Sorry to Bother You

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1. Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
  2. Emma Stone, The Favourite
  3. Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
  4. Jasmine Cephas Jones, Blindspotting
  5. Michelle Yeoh, Crazy Rich Asians
  6. Kayli Carter, Private Life

SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. Rafael Casal, Blindspotting
  2. Josh Hamilton, Eighth Grade
  3. Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mary Poppins Returns
  4. Jesse Plemons, Game Night
  5. Michael B. Jordan, Black Panther
  6. Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

1. Blindspotting
  2. The Favourite
  3. First Reformed
  4. Eighth Grade
  5. Sorry to Bother You
  6. Private Life

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

1. If Beale Street Could Talk
  2. Annihilation
  3. BlacKkKlansman
  4. Black Panther
  5. Crazy Rich Asians
  6. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

CINEMATOGRAPHY

1. Roma
  2. If Beale Street Could Talk
  3. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  4. Annihilation
  5. The Favourite
  6. Hereditary

EDITING

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  2. BlacKkKlansman
  3. Roma
  4. Blindspotting
  5. If Beale Street Could Talk
  6. A Star is Born

ORIGINAL SCORE

1. If Beale Street Could Talk
  2. Black Panther
  3. Mary Poppins Returns
  4. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  5. Avengers: Infinity War
  6. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

SOUNDTRACK

1. A Star is Born
  2. Mary Poppins Returns
  3. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
  5. The Favourite
  6. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

PRODUCTION DESIGN

1. Crazy Rich Asians
  2. Black Panther
  3. The Favourite
  4. Annihilation
  5. Mary Poppins Returns
  6. Roma

COSTUME, HAIR AND MAKEUP DESIGN

1. Black Panther
  2. Vice
  3. The Favourite
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
  5. Mary Poppins Returns
  6. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

SOUND DESIGN

1. Roma
  2. A Quiet Place
  3. A Star is Born
  4. Blindspotting
  5. Avengers: Infinity War
  6. Hereditary

VISUAL AND STUNT EFFECTS

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
  3. Mary Poppins Returns
  4. Incredibles 2
  5. Annihilation
  6. Ready Player One

HONORARY GOLDEN BAMBOO STICK FOR ART THAT IS NOT CINEMA

WINNER: The Most Beautiful Thing I've Seen by Lisa Gungor

HMs: Suite No. 1 "Oh Dreamer" by The Brilliance

The Good Place Season 2b and 3a

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 3b and 4a

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

As was the case last year, I can’t reward movies that I star in!  That’s biased!

Man, if you can't bribe the judges to victory use your first hand knowledge about how difficult a shoot was to reward yourself for fun and profit give your fellow co-workers some well deserved kudos, just what is the point of it all? j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif

Spoiler

Great and detailed list as always. 👍

• Like 1